replacing rear shocks only? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

replacing rear shocks only?

i want to get the whole koni yellow set up but im not there yet, so can I just change the rear shocks? don't have the $ to do the front and the new caster camber plates that are required.

would it make the ride quality horrible having good shocks in rear and stock up front?

should I just wait and do it all at once?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016
PONY Member

I've had rear Koni Yellows and rear sway-bar poly bushings for over a year. Because the rear suspension is the problem area with a SLRA car, it works just fine. The Yellows can be adjusted to your liking.

Like you, I plan to do the same thing up front at some time in the future.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016
GT Member

And I think the Koni's are currently on sale now.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

And it rides just fine? Does the rear feel better?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Yes koni is on sale now. I was all set to do a gear swap when I saw the sale...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnblk5.0 View Post
And it rides just fine? Does the rear feel better?

I have a BPP car, so my suspension was a bit stiffer than a standard GT. Adding the rear Koni Yellows with the polyurethane swaybar bushings has made the rear end very planted, very stable, which translates into a car that handles better over-all. Especially with a SLRA car, what happens in the back translates forward.

Ride is what I want it to be, by adjusting the shocks.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016
Apprentice

The Konis are going to be on sale until September and don't forget that for the gear swap you have spend money on the rebuild kit, friction modifier, gear oil and should spend the money replacing the bearings while the pumpkin is open. That tags on an extra $200. What are 2 shocks going to do?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Good point.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Get RP gear oil since it has the friction modifier in it. And definitely fine with just upgrading the rear.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnblk5.0 View Post
i want to get the whole koni yellow set up but im not there yet, so can I just change the rear shocks? don't have the $ to do the front and the new caster camber plates that are required.

would it make the ride quality horrible having good shocks in rear and stock up front?

should I just wait and do it all at once?
You can put them on now with no worries.

Set them somewhere between full soft and one quarter of a turn up from full soft.

When I got the yellows for my '08, Koni had just started to re-engineer the endlink brackets on the struts (IIRC, there was a weld failure problem at the time). Took nearly a whole year for the new design struts to filter down through the pipeline, and in that time there was never any issue with running OE struts paired with Koni shocks.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page