6th gear grind - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NoVa5.0
  • 1 Post By PMDmustang13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

6th gear grind

Hi got a 2014 5.0 with 25k miles. I noticed 6th gear grinds but when I try the 2nd time while clutch pedal still pressed it doesnt grind. it grinds everytime I try to use 6th gear no matter if it's hot or cold. It's weird it's only the 6th gear the other gears are fine. I don't even use the 6th gear anymore. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer and I'm afraid if I change the fluid and the dealer finds out they might blame it on the new fluid. Clutch fluid is good and I'm pushing the clutch pedal all the way when changing gears. I was wondering what could it be? Bad synchros? I bought the car from an auction and it had some cosmetic damage and as soon I drove it I noticed the 6th gear grind. So I'm not sure when problem might have developed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016
GT Member

One gear like that suggests the sixth gear cluster is bad, prob synchronizer. Why this hits high gears is they are physically smaller and can take less punishment. 6th gear indicates possible abuse by a po. A fluid change is unlikely to help this but, you could always try it, save the old stuff and put it back if it doesn't help. Redljne mtl worked best on my last car. It's an easy job to drain and fill. Ford doesn't usually check the fluid beyond making sure some is in there.

If this is the only issue, you can test Ford and see what they say. It is in warranty. Or you could just drive around it with technique. As you go to pull sixth, you'll feel the beginning of the drag as the shifter engages the synchro, wait there for a second to allow the sychro to speed up and the gear will slip right in, grind free.

You may wish to install a shifter bracket or some other form of improving shifting precision. The stock shifter without help is imprecise and a bit flobbery.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
PONY Member

You have a warranty, use it. Take it in, let Ford fix it.

Your 6th gear shouldn't grind, but then MT82s are known for being crap. Mine grinds every now and again, but usually when cold.
MustangLife likes this.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016
GT Member

Heck yes use that warranty before it is too late.
MustangLife likes this.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just had my 2012 GT in for that same issue. Drivetrain will still be under warranty . Culprit was a bad synchro. Ford dealership had the car for about a week and issued a rental for me. Tranny runs better than when new. I would definitely recommend taking it to the dealer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay thank you very much guys
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
As stated you have a warranty... Why would you not use it before it is to late?

Also if you know of an issue and don't get it fixed and say it causes more issues and Ford can prove that they may not cover extra damage...

Take it in soon.

Just my .02

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page