Tire height question - help needed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Tire height question - help needed

Just ordered some new wheels 20x8.5 and 20x10's
Ive seen alot of people in which their tires looked really off, like different sizes compared from the front to the back.

I dont want to be that guy, so im trying to figure out what tire heights to go with. Im thinking about going with what American Muscle recommends and going 255/35's in the front, and maybe just a little wider from what they recommend with 305/30's in the back. From what ive read online the 255's should be 27.0" tall, and the 305's 27.2" tall. I would think would be close enough to look pretty good. I also know that sizing also depends on the tire manufacturer. Do you think this setup will look good? Or do I need to go with a 305/35 in the rear to match the front. I have also thought about going with a 295 in the rear, but they seem alot harder to find. Looks like I might be going with the Mickey Thompson Street Comps because of the price. These are going on Deep Dish FR500's with a 45mm offset on a 2011 GT

- Thanks

Greg
2011 Race Red GT

Just an old married guy (with kids) and two expensive hobbies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016
Apprentice

Just my 2 cents, because these cars have a bit of rake (e.g., rear is higher than the front), the wheel gap looks larger in the back and that's what makes it look off even if the wheels are the same size. I have 27" tall 255/45/18 all around but the back tires look smaller so I'm planning on dropping the rear only.

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic 5.0 GT Premium, Manual, 3.73, Brembo, HIDs

Mods: 2010 AM GT500 wheels + Bridgestone Potenza S-04, GT500 axleback, MGW race spec, FRPP P springs, KONI STR.T struts/shocks, Steeda adj. panhard, BMR rear LCAs+relocation brackets
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Look up the tires on TireRack, and go to the "specs" tab, and it will tell you the exact diameter. You might want the rear diameter to be a hair bigger than the front, rather than the other way around.

On the same specs sheet, you can also check the wheel width for the tires. Make sure your wheels fall within range for the tire. I think 305 is a bit on the wide side for a 10" wheel.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page