Goofy "Sound Tube" Removal?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Goofy "Sound Tube" Removal??

I just discovered that the black tube going from the intake tube to a gismo on the left inner fender then into the firewall of my 2014 GT is a "sound tube" to pipe intake noise into the cabin....GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Have any of you folks removed this "stroke of genius" and if so what changed??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Just about every new performance car on the road has the tube or something electronic to make cabin noise. My exhaust drowns it out so it's not an issue for me.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Many have removed the sound tube. They have plug kits that you can buy, or you can make your own. Removing it cleans up the engine bay & that`s about all. I removed mine two days after I got my `13 GT. I keep it in case I sell the car. There are lots of threads here about the tube:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...=gt+sound+tube

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

U.S. Navy veteran 1964-1968

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Sorry.......I didn't realize this was old news......never heard of anything but the synthesized motor sounds in radios of European cars!!

Maybe I should put cards on my bike spokes too!!

You can close this thread if ya wish!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016
PONY Member

Your comment about cards on bicycle spokes mirrors my thinking exactly, in fact I used the same analogy myself. In any case it's easy to remove and plug. I got rubber plugs from my local NAPA store for $1.25 a piece. The firewall plug turned out to be an ideal place to run the sending unit wire for my Autometer oil pressure gauge.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacer View Post
Your comment about cards on bicycle spokes mirrors my thinking exactly, in fact I used the same analogy myself. In any case it's easy to remove and plug. I got rubber plugs from my local NAPA store for $1.25 a piece. The firewall plug turned out to be an ideal place to run the sending unit wire for my Autometer oil pressure gauge.
Thanks XRacer!!
How much oil pressure do these motors make??
My 2004 Marauder makes about 100 PSI cold start then settles in at about 25 PSI hot idle and around 50 PSI hot cruise (2200 RPM's)!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016
PONY Member

Oil pressure is highly dependent on oil temp and rpm. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 full synthetic and cold starting pressure is 100 psi. at idle. Hot idle pressure is 26 psi. Hot pressure at 2,000-2,200 [ typical interstate speeds ] is 80 psi. Hot pressure above 4,000 rpm is 100 psi. I believe these rather large swings in pressure compared to older engines is due to the combination of relatively thinner oils and the fact that unlike older pushrod designs the oil pump is driven directly off the crank. The older designs drove the oil pump off the cam drive so like the cam they ran at one half engine speed. FWIW both GM LS series engines and the 3 rd. gen Chrysler Hemi's also drive the oil pump off the crank even though they are both pushrod engines.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016
GT Member

I love my sound tube.....helps me convince the authorities at the track my car is stock 2014 5.0 and not modified with nitrous. Mine's just popped out of the firewall enough to let the wire for the activation switch through

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016
Apprentice

I was wondering what that tube was.
PONY Member

Taking it out may save 6oz thought, lol

2012 Mustang v6
1969 Porsche 912
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Sorry.......I didn't realize this was old news......never heard of anything but the synthesized motor sounds in radios of European cars!!

Maybe I should put cards on my bike spokes too!!

You can close this thread if ya wish!!
No need to close the thread. I was just pointing out that there are other threads covering this subject if you want to see them.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

U.S. Navy veteran 1964-1968
PONY Member

Garage
IMO the car looks soooo much better without that sound tube and I didn't notice any difference. Hopefully soon, I'll be hearing the sound of straight cut gears under the hood of my car in a Procharger P-1SC-1!

After Sound Tube Delete:

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
PONY Member

Let me get this straight.....more noise for me, the driver, to hear and no increase to invite attention from the law? I guess it's time for me to pull out the foam baffles and really make some noise. I'm in for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page