BORLA Touring axle-back muffs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

BORLA Touring axle-back muffs

I really like the note from the stock mufflers. It's the drone at 2k rpm that's getting annoying. I drive the freeways at that rpm (66-74 mph) with the drone and I have to hear it as the engine goes in and out of 2k as I drive around town. I like noise out the rear of the car and NO WHERE ELSE especially the interior! YES I KNOW! From previous threads on this subject it seems that I'm the only one in the world that has a stock drone, so no need to let me know how quiet your stock setup is.... LOL....

I've listened to alot of sound clips and have decided that the Touring would be the best considering my likes and dislikes. One thing I can't stand in a car is an obnoxious exhaust note.

Anyone had experience with this muffler?

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
GT Member

WTF.....

I don`t think there is a cure for you with another muffler. The Touring is about what the FRPP muffler is like. It`s a step up in noise from the quietest aftermarket muffler, the OEM GT500 still, though. Nobody reports drone with those three and a nice note emerges otherwise.

You might take the stock resos out and putting in longer, bottle-style resos under the car, in addition to stock mufflers out back.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

In chatting with some on-line rep for American Muscle, I was told that drone comes from the muffler. The dude in the video clips on the BORLA website claim no drone with their muffs. CONCLUSION: muffs cause drone.

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I have the Borla axle backs on my car but If you don't like the OEM mufflers, you're not going to like these either. I define drone as that sympathetic reverberation / vibration you sometimes get inside the cabin. The Borlas don't do that, but you can certainly hear them at a low level at the cruising speeds you describe. Personally I like them, but again, I doubt you will.

Have you tried removing the sound tube under the hood?

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
Have you tried removing the sound tube under the hood?
I removed that ugly thing on the day I bought the car!

Thanks for your input. I'd hate to spend $600+ and be disappointed.

I agree with your definition of drone. That's exactly what it is. So if you hear your muffs in the 70 mph arena as I do, you no doubt hear them in city driving at that same rpm. Maybe what I'm hearing is not drone? I've considered that possibility.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
I agree with your definition of drone. That's exactly what it is. So if you hear your muffs in the 70 mph arena as I do, you no doubt hear them in city driving at that same rpm. Maybe what I'm hearing is not drone? I've considered that possibility.
Yeah, I think you're just hearing the normal exhaust sound, not drone which will actually sound more like it's coming from somewhere within the cabin.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
GT Member

Relax, I'm not suggesting mufflers don't cause drone. What I am saying is you are the only person in history that can hear drone from the stock mufflers. Hell, you can barely tell the engine is running with those on. If you detect drone from those ANY aftermarket muffler is going to upset you. Resos like I describe can hush this, though.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
...you are the only person in history that can hear drone from the stock mufflers.
I've concluded that what I am hearing is NOT drone.

Quote:
Hell, you can barely tell the engine is running with those on.
Yes, at idle. But I get the nice note when I give it gas....

Quote:
If you detect drone from those ANY aftermarket muffler is going to upset you.
I'm not upset.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
GT Member

Quote:
I've concluded that what I am hearing is NOT drone.

Yes, at idle. But I get the nice note when I give it gas....

I'm not upset.
Future tense, my friend "is going to" not "you are"....

You'd know drone if it was it. Fords works extremely hard to tune their factory exhaust to not do this, as it is irritating and would generate customer complaints.

Drone tends to feel like it is resonating the body of the car. A flat off-key sound that doesn't really alter until you get out of the rev range producing it. Flowmasters are best at doing this and drone is particularly pronounced on automatic cars because they tend to remain in low ranges of rpm longer and aren't typically manually shifted out of the drone zone by drivers.

My car came with some gawdawful Thrush welded mufflers out back the dealer put on, thinking they were being helpful. Sitting at idle, they sounded ok but, man, they droned on like a Senator trying to filibuster the house at any normal driving operation. They were so bad I pulled them and put on an old pair of stockers I had from my last S197 and binned those until I got my GT500 mufflers back off my wrecked 2012 GT. All is right with the world now, with those on.

I drag race my car alot and when I go to the track I run in the Outlaw Class because they prep the track and I'm running slicks. So, I'm usually lined up with some race big block or 2000 horsepower car so, I have to check the tacho to see if I actually turned my car on in the lanes or not.

GT Member

Tires can also cause a drone type sound. An improper installed body panel may cause the same.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
PONY Member

The Borla Touring axlebacks are much louder than factory, especially when getting on the pedal.
You won't be able to drive around unnoticed. In fact, your wife or girlfriend will know when you pull into the garage, or leave for that matter.

The only semi problem I have is that even when I drive normally, some around me hear the exhaust and think I am racing. On the other hand, when I need to get around someone in a hurry, the sound kind of tells them I am near which can be a good thing.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

GT Member

Quote:
I really like the note from the stock mufflers. It's the drone at 2k rpm that's getting annoying. I drive the freeways at that rpm (66-74 mph) with the drone and I have to hear it as the engine goes in and out of 2k as I drive around town. I like noise out the rear of the car and NO WHERE ELSE especially the interior! YES I KNOW! From previous threads on this subject it seems that I'm the only one in the world that has a stock drone, so no need to let me know how quiet your stock setup is.... LOL....

I've listened to alot of sound clips and have decided that the Touring would be the best considering my likes and dislikes. One thing I can't stand in a car is an obnoxious exhaust note.

Anyone had experience with this muffler?
If you don't like to hear the exhaust inside the car then my recommendation is to consider adding sound deadening insulation in the trunk and under the back seat to start with. Then possibly on the interior of the doors under the door liners. I believe that Dynamat material might be a good sound insulator.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
If you don't like to hear the exhaust inside the car then my recommendation is to consider adding sound deadening insulation in the trunk and under the back seat to start with. Then possibly on the interior of the doors under the door liners. I believe that Dynamat material might be a good sound insulator.
^^^+1 The Mustang is one big tin can. I went with a company called second skin and achieved two things. The outside sound in the car was reduced and the shaker 1000 could be turned up substantially with more clarity. Everything in the cabin was much tighter. It was a lot of work but worth it. I used the Damplifier Pro and topped it with Luxury Liner Pro. The areas that are the most needed are the spare tire and trunk areas,under the console, rear seat and quarter panels The downside is that its is not cheap and it adds weight.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page