the GT's hood louvers - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

the GT's hood louvers

I love the louvers on the hood. They add a lot and look just plain cool. But I have 2 questions:

1) Other than decor, do they really serve any purpose? I can see where they might facilitate air flow through the engine compartment, but that effect would have to be minimal at best.
2) By looking at the underside of the hood, I can see where water drains. But I think it interesting that not a trace of water hits any components underneath. That trough that catches the water is well designed!

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
GT Member

Here's a theory base upon having had both a 2012 BBP and a 2014 BBP. The '12 had a nasty habit of having a little hood lift at high speed, making the front end light. The 2014 doesn't do that. I suspect the underhood pressure relief of the hood louvers may be the cause of this improvement.

The water drips right on the airbox lid, typically, obviously no harm done but, that's why panty-waists get all concerned with drips on their open element CAIs.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
PONY Member

I think they serve two functions. They do allow heat to escape and they probably relieve air pressure as has been previously noted. If you park the car on a cool day and put your hand over the vents you can definitely feel the heat escaping. Most modern cars run hotter than old cars did and the under hood area is pretty tightly packed so I think anything that can be done to let things cool down a bit is probably a good idea. The under hood packaging between my '14 GT and my small block '72 'Cuda is like night and day. The 'Cuda came from the factory with a pretty large three row radiator and you have to really hammer on it to get it much over 180 degrees even on a hot summer day.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Early morning sitting at a light on the way to work watching the heat waves emanating from the louvers - pretty cool (pun intended)
They are clearly relieving under hood pressure at speed and releasing heat from the engine compartment.

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
GT Member

Honestly, I didn't love the '13 redesign when it came out, over the subtle and menacing '12 Candy Red Metallic styling I had at the time. Then I wrecked the '12 and my GF found this Sterling Grey Metallic '14 with all the bells and whistles my old car had, and the 6R auto I wanted. I took one look at the restyled car in that colour and fell out of love with my old car. Nothing since buying it has made me unhappy with it.
CDN5.0 likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Definitely heat extraction working for you. Plus I like the fact that I can remove the underhood blanket and the louvers when I hit the track.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
GT Member

OP, Well they are actually called heat extractors. Thus main design intent is to extract heat. Heat in the engine compartment rises and is released out of the heat extractors.

2oo5GT, I did not realize that the under hood blanket/lining could be easily removed and reinstalled. Do you do that for weight reduction or heat relief? Road course or drag strip?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just for the track. If you remove all the push pins and only use a few not pushed in all the way, it's easy to remove. For weight, prob weighs almost near nothing.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Here's a theory base upon having had both a 2012 BBP and a 2014 BBP. The '12 had a nasty habit of having a little hood lift at high speed, making the front end light. The 2014 doesn't do that. I suspect the underhood pressure relief of the hood louvers may be the cause of this improvement.

The water drips right on the airbox lid, typically, obviously no harm done but, that's why panty-waists get all concerned with drips on their open element CAIs.
This^^^^^^^^

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member

The original reason for the vents on the 13-14 hoods was because the 13-14 engines didn't have the oil piston squirters, and the under-hood temps were 20-30 degrees higher. So the engineers popped in the vents.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

Not saying your lying but, where did that info come from? They redesigned the piston for 13, doing away with the need for the squirters but, it's hard to imagine they'd design a piston that ran hotter than the one they replaced. That would be asking for knock/preignition problems. 20-30 degrees in engine temp is huge. Modern engines are all regulated by the thermo and cooling system to a water temp of 220 max. You can't control piston temps with hood vents and the water temp is going to be fine as long as the rad is big enough and the fan has enough cfm.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

WTF is a "piston squirter"?

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
GT Member

On the 11-12 cars there are little tubes which squirt oil underneathe the piston crown to carry heat away into the oil. They weren't needed after the 13 got a new design piston and were deleted.

MACH I Member
S197 Member

First saw the hood louvers on a 2010 Roush prototype. They had the louvers punched in the hood, not a separate panel and further back. Cost too much for production so they were dropped. MM & FF did a test on a 4 eye Stang and gained almost 20 hp with a heat extractor hood - dropped under hood temp that much to make a difference.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new hood.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	507969  

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
GT Member

I am not sure anybody really knows the actual cut off date for when the oil squirters were eliminated. I believe some 13's still have them. There is a very long forum discussion on this topic. The only way to confirm is by visual observation IMHO.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...fused-lol.html

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in