Cai cfm? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Cai cfm?

Who knows? How much more CFM does an aftermarket CAI flow than the factory CAI with a K&N replacement filter?????? Would rather keep my engine looking stock under the hood. Hides a tune better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Was chatting with a guy from American Muscle and asked him the same question. He couldn't give any numbers but his answer was, "Not much."

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member

It doesn't matter. As long as it meets the engine's demands, more cfm equals no change in power output. I had the spec for the factory cai somewhere but, I can't recall it. It was completely sufficient and Ford themselves confirm no need. Supercharger base kits make do with the stock airbox, too, and that's a real engine air demand upgrade.

I remember now... the stock intake flows 748 cfm. Considering we have heads that can flow about 300 a side, that is totally adequate and explains why people don't see gains from a big filter.

Last edited by 5LHO; 03-24-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Remembered something of some value...maybe.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member

Oh and I back to back track tested the k&n v. paper stock and no filter. No improvement in mph from the k&n. No filter screwed up the maf transfer values and ran worse.

Stock paper has way more filtering area and poses no risk of letting stuff past or oiling up the MAF.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It really isn't about just CFM. It's about pressure drop at a given CFM. Yes it is possible to reduce the pressure drop. . . .

But, for practical purposes, I doubt that any of the aftermarket intakes really make a significant difference on the late model cars because the factory intake is very free flowing / little pressure drop.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member

I know....people throw numbers around like cfm without any real understanding how they are derived and always thinking more must equal better. It's frustrating. It was the same back in the old days. Oh, that 600 vac sec Holley will be fine on my 8:1 SBC but this 750 double pumper must be WAY better...wait, why does my car run like **** now?

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
PONY Member

The idea with a CAI isn't more atmosphere in, it's colder/cooler atmosphere in. But since the factory air intake is an actual CAI, and most of the AM CAIs are NOT, you're best off with the factory set-up. I think there's only one a AM CAI that does well enough to actually require a tune.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
. . . I think there's only one a AM CAI that does well enough to actually require a tune.
Every intake that has a larger MAF tube than stock will require a tune. The tune is required because of the metering section diameter, not because of the increased airflow (if there is any)

And agreed, for sure you want an intake that uses the intake duct from the end of the grill area. Many of them do.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Every intake that has a larger MAF tube than stock will require a tune. The tune is required because of the metering section diameter, not because of the increased airflow (if there is any)
+1
This is 100% spot on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Soooooo aftermarket CAI IS NOT any better than stock. Does not increase HP over stock. But if you buy a system with a bigger MAF tube your gonna need a tune. All this relates to a stock 5.0 with factory HP and no internal engine mods. Well, since i'm not going to build a huge monster hp engine I would have to say that an aftermarket CAI is a big waste of money if your looking for a few extra hp. I don't want a $350 cosmetic under my hood. But I'm not knocking anyone who does want this item.
GT Member

Safe to say most of the power is in the tune, yes. A tune doesn't radically alter the engines demands for air though, that's mostly driven by compression, chamber and cylinder head design, cam timing and manifolding so, a large air tube in front of the throttle plate likely contributes very little, even in a tune-required situation.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page