Track suspension - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

That cooling kit is real nice. I just installed that 3" Vorshlag kit this weekend.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Track suspension

I bought the Baers used for about $650us. They have very little use and are like new.

The Vorshlag upgrade looks great and Would go that route if I did not get a great deal on these.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

More research...

There is a great thread from last year on the s197 forum about rear sway bars. Lots people chimed in on their set ups in general. http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...=123175&page=1

Also have spoken to a few more shops

I am now leaning towards

Bilstein HDs
MM race or H&R race (are these the same springs?)
MM caster/camber plates
Whiteline front adjustable sway bar
Stock rear to start and then decide if I want to find a softer or stiff bar for rear
Whiteline Panhard bar
Whiteline lower CA. Anyone have the Cmax bushings? A few places are pushing them for NVH vs steel but more firm than straight poly.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85258 View Post
. . .
I am now leaning towards . . .
Whiteline lower CA. Anyone have the Cmax bushings? A few places are pushing them for NVH vs steel but more firm than straight poly.

I am not sure about those, but you want some articulation (twisting/rotation) in the rear LCA's for cornering. Super hard bushing on both ends would be too stiff. Hard bushing on one end and spherical on the other shold be OK.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member

Quote:
More research...

There is a great thread from last year on the s197 forum about rear sway bars. Lots people chimed in on their set ups in general. Running no rear sway bar on track? - S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Also have spoken to a few more shops

I am now leaning towards

Bilstein HDs
MM race or H&R race (are these the same springs?)
MM caster/camber plates
Whiteline front adjustable sway bar
Stock rear to start and then decide if I want to find a softer or stiff bar for rear
Whiteline Panhard bar

What year is your mustang? Are you going 05-10 style front struts or 11-14? It makes a difference on which MM Caster Camber Plates you order. Also with MM Caster Camber plates you must use parts of your upper strut mounts. I wanted heavier duty upper piece of strut mount which required GT500 upper strut mounts which I dismantled to use the rubber pad portion/spring perches. With Vorshlag caster camber plates I believe the upper strut mounts are integral.

Vorshlag Ford '05-'14 S197 Mustang Aluminum Camber/Caster Plates & Perches - Vorshlag LLC

Vorshlag caster camber plates are 439 bucks.
MM Caster Camber plates are about 280 bucks. 05-10 style uses Item #47024
MPN# MM5CC-1

And if you need the GT500 Upper Mounts they are about 110 bucks.
So 280+110 = 390. So 49 bucks more Vorshlag in my opinion is more heavy duty and something to consider.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
BOSS Member

Garage
Vorshlag charges extra for the GT500 spring perch. I bought them earlier this year and it was $50 extra but I think they went to $90 extra shortly after.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Blazin72, what are you using the gt500 spring perches for?

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Vorshlag charges extra for the GT500 spring perch. I bought them earlier this year and it was $50 extra but I think they went to $90 extra shortly after.
I must have misinterpreted vorshlag's description. Vorshlag Ford '05-'14 S197 Mustang Aluminum Camber/Caster Plates & Perches
[A1-2000-02]

Vorshlag upper spring perches are included and built to fit the strut style you select

But then I see you are correct. Drop down menu says OEM spring perches +90. And then add shipping and not so good a deal unless you have plenty of money.

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Blazin72, what are you using the gt500 spring perches for?
I wasn't entirely correct. I had GT500 mounts on my mind from reading the previous posts. They aren't GT500 perches. They are perches to be used with OEM springs.
PONY Member

wow...thanks for the detailed info, fellows. I will have to rethink the 'konis and leave the rest stock will make it handle like a go kart' stuff that the local shop told me. Hope there's lots more good advice here. again, thanks.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Planning my suspension build and looking for recommendations from those that run their cars on Road course. What do you run, what do you like about it, what would you change?

I plan to run my car on track 5 or 6 times a year and cars is an occasional driver on street. I am okay with a firm ride but nothing race car stiff. I don't want to spend $3k plus on CO. Height adjustability would be nice. I am planning a watts link, LCAs, camber/caster plates, adjustable sway bars.
I will do all these mods at once.

I have talked to a few shops and had the following recommendations for COs, springs/strut/shocks

ST XTA COs. Seem a bit soft and I can't find any reviews for them on track. Like the price and they come with cc plates.

H and R race springs and Koni yellows. not expensive and one way adjustable. Have read that Konis quality/longevity is inconsistent.

Vorshlag/Bilstein track pro CO. Stiffer spring rates, good reviews, but expensive and non adjustable shocks.

Decisions, decisions...

Check out Cortex, they have a complete system for our cars and you can run huge rubber in the front without any rubbing. It can be on the firmer side for the street, but nothing you can't live with. Mine is a DD and I have the Koni yellow adjustable coil overs all around with their Watts link and it does the job very well. - The Core of Performance
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Not keen on Konis at all.

Decided against the mm or H&R springs. I don't think I will get the ride quality or performance I want.

Leaning towards the track pro kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page