Track suspension - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Track suspension

Planning my suspension build and looking for recommendations from those that run their cars on Road course. What do you run, what do you like about it, what would you change?

I plan to run my car on track 5 or 6 times a year and cars is an occasional driver on street. I am okay with a firm ride but nothing race car stiff. I don't want to spend $3k plus on CO. Height adjustability would be nice. I am planning a watts link, LCAs, camber/caster plates, adjustable sway bars.
I will do all these mods at once.

I have talked to a few shops and had the following recommendations for COs, springs/strut/shocks

ST XTA COs. Seem a bit soft and I can't find any reviews for them on track. Like the price and they come with cc plates.

H and R race springs and Koni yellows. not expensive and one way adjustable. Have read that Konis quality/longevity is inconsistent.

Vorshlag/Bilstein track pro CO. Stiffer spring rates, good reviews, but expensive and non adjustable shocks.

Decisions, decisions...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Search for squidd's post on suspension options, he outlines a few complete set-ups. Also there is a post by csamsh with a summary run down.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I tried searching for them and could not find any those threads. Can you post links? Thanks

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have to search for them too . . . maybe later when I have more time . . . "advanced search" might help, allows you to filter on username

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

I prefer quality over features in everything I buy for cars. Therefore, my obvious choice is Vorshlag trackpro.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I found it. neither was a thread starter, but both sqidd and csamsh posted good info in the thread
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...g-2014-gt.html

csamash - I agree, you get what you pay for! I am leaning towards the Vorshlag set up. It is expensive as it is not a mass produced. They were great on the phone. I want a proven set up that works and has some adjustment for balance (sway bars and watts link). The last 5 years I raced, class had a shock rule and we could not use adjustable shocks. We played with springs, sways, watts link and rear CA angles. I dont plan on making many changes, but I want to be able to get the car sorted out.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member

Yes you absolutely get what you pay for. I know this thread is about suspension but make sure you have the right brakes pads and fluid and consider brake duct cooling and SS lines.

I have done an awful lot of suspension work on my car. I don't have the high end coil overs or Bilstein shocks yet but hopefully in the future I can step up. I am happy with what I have and I probably would not notice much difference yet because I don't have a lot of road course experience yet.

If I was going to do it over again with caster camber plates I would choose Vorshlag. They are really not much more than what I ended up doing with Maximum motorsports caster camber plates and GT500 upper mounts and 05-10 struts. Most of my modifications are in my signature except for BMR rear handling Springs, Eibach prokit bump stops, BMR Watts link, Vorshlag SS brake lines and Vorshlag 3" brake duct kit.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

PMDmustnag13, I have picked up a set up of Baer GT 14" 2 piston brakes w/SS lines that were used for only 500miles for half price ($650US). They are the Corvette C5 brakes. I dont know what pads are included with them, but upgrade the pads to a track use pad, have not researched that yet. I have looked at the Vorshlag rear GT500 upgrade and am considering that. Same with ducting, Vorshalg has the backing plates. I have a ton of used 3" ducting hose from my past race cars.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85258 View Post
P I have looked at the Vorshlag rear GT500 upgrade and am considering that.
I like Vorshlag too but this is one area that you can get the exact thing elsewhere for quite a bit less money. Find an OEM repair parts website and search for the GT500 brackets there then pick up the correct rotors of your choice. I think prices have gone up a bit but I did mine for about $275. All you need are the brackets and rotors. Shipping from Vorshlag can get expensive too.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Planning my suspension build and looking for recommendations from those that run their cars on Road course. What do you run, what do you like about it, what would you change?

I plan to run my car on track 5 or 6 times a year and cars is an occasional driver on street. I am okay with a firm ride but nothing race car stiff. I don't want to spend $3k plus on CO. Height adjustability would be nice. I am planning a watts link, LCAs, camber/caster plates, adjustable sway bars.
Quote:
I will do all these mods at once.

Let me suggest doing otherwise. You don't yet know what you'll really need when you start picking up the pace.

8 years or so ago I was where you are now, had a whole list of mods in mind for my '08 GT. Then I stopped and thought about it a bit and basically just drove the car. Then I got shocks & struts, some camber adjustability, adjustable sta-bars (and better endlinks while I was at it). But the biggie was better and wider tires on wider wheels. Later on, I did rear LCAs after being informed at a service visit that the OE LCA bushings were on their way out (poly/nonmetallic spherical, FWIW).

Then the track bug bit, the tires eventually got better and wider again, as did the wheels. Now I need more roll stiffness, and I've known for a while that I need more spring (nose dive under braking). But since a spring change is likely to drive a change in sta-bar adjustment and possibly a different rear bar, it hadn't been worth doing until now. Basically, observe before you try to solve.

But anyway, here's what shocks, struts, -2°camber, and 285/35-18 MPSS tires on 11" wide wheels can do for you out on the track (Aim Solo datalogging) with what's really only minimal suspension work. I'm not crediting the LCAs for much except that they probably make the hard driving easier to do comfortably and with more composure. Instructors love composure . . .

FWIW, the Koni problem seems to revolve around excessive lowering - and/or possibly overloading the trunk, which drives the rear of the car down as if it was lowered and still on soft springs. They should have enough damping for the H&R rates, just probably not adequate compression travel.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
GT Member

Quote:
PMDmustnag13, I have picked up a set up of Baer GT 14" 2 piston brakes w/SS lines that were used for only 500miles for half price ($650US). They are the Corvette C5 brakes. I dont know what pads are included with them, but upgrade the pads to a track use pad, have not researched that yet. I have looked at the Vorshlag rear GT500 upgrade and am considering that. Same with ducting, Vorshalg has the backing plates. I have a ton of used 3" ducting hose from my past race cars.
I am not familiar with the Baer GT brakes you mention. I assume they will fit your car without serious modification.

Not sure you would need to upgrade back brakes to begin with. Most of the braking is done by the front in my opinion.

I just installed my Vorshlag backing plates and removed the Carbotech XP-12 compound track pads and installed Carbotech 1521 street compound on centric rotors. The track pads don't have much left. Maybe 2 to 3 mm before the wear groove disappears. I probably wore them out on the street since I only did 2 or 3 track days on them and still learning. New pads had 9 mm thick pads and no wear grooves. I plan to install the front inlet plates and ducting this weekend.

I am sticking to Carbotech compounds. You can use the same rotors with different carbotech compounds. Carbotech Performance Brakes

I have a friend that is going to experiment with the Raybestos compounds. ST45 or ST47 compounds. Apparently Nascar uses ST47. Raybestos Racing Pads - Raybestos Brakes

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes the Baer GT is a mustang kit

http://www.cjponyparts.com/baer-fron...2013/p/DBF152/

I need to google the pads part #s to figure out what they are. Part number starts with PBR.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone tried H&R race springs with the Bilstein HD dampers?

That give some decent spring rate with great, reliable dampers.

GT Member
S197 Member

If you haven't installed those baers, return them and get brembos for less money

S197 Mustang 14" Brembo Front Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC
freewayflyer likes this.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
That cooling kit nice. Wouldn't mine having that...

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page