Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pretender
  • 1 Post By pretender

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Unknown Leak

My 2014 GT/CS Premium convertible was stored since last November in the garage (properly of course) No leaks. Brought it out about 3 weeks ago - no problems. Last Saturday I had it running parked in the driveway for about 45 minutes - was transferring my Sirius to my new Pioneer 8100NEX set-up and playing around with the navigation a bit. Pulled in the garage - the next morning there was a spot about 2 inches in diameter in the middle of the front part of the engine. My husband thinks it is oil. And there was a matching spot on the driveway. Looked just like a wet spot that wouldn't dry. We got the same sort of look when our 2001 Chevy S10 radiator sprung a leak and needed replacing.

The only time it will leak and only about that much is if you have driven it long enough for it to warm up. If I drive it to work and home - round trip 2 miles - no spots on the road or the garage. (we put paper towel to see. But if you drive it around town for 15 minutes you'll get the leak. It is going into the dealer on Monday - thoughts to what it might be? Should I be worried it is something serious? Still under warranty. Just seemed strange that we drove it on and off for 2 weeks and nothing and then all of a sudden - this strange leak that really has little color. TIA

(2) 2014 Mustang GT/CS Premium California Special Race Red
1 Convertible w/Black Top
1 Coupe with Panoramic Roof
Coupe has the navigation system, Vert after market Pioneer 8100 Nex with Metra Kit
Both 19 x 8.5-in. machined face with black
painted aluminum wheels
Both with 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

paper towels are what will help in id fluid. w/o insulting check fluid levels. Did you recently change oil? mayhap spillage from that. Someone's gonna have to crawl under and remove the aero-shields under motor (simple) and look. When you get a sample of fluid also smell it that sometimes helps to id it.

way to early to worry unless it makes you happy.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

unless the stereo guy accidentally drilled a hole in the transmission

poor impulse control

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I can't really smell anything - but my sense of smell is bad. My husband is almost positive it is oil. We did check the level - full and the color - clean. It was a fresh oil change prior to putting it away for the winter......someone told me it isn't unusual for gaskets to dry out over the winter and that might be the case with this and was saying don't worry either. I guess I am just over protective. LOL Like a mother with a child. It is my dream car and it has a sniffle......LOL
jdmeaux likes this.

Coupe has the navigation system, Vert after market Pioneer 8100 Nex with Metra Kit
painted aluminum wheels
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
unless the stereo guy accidentally drilled a hole in the transmission

poor impulse control
He better not have LOL.

painted aluminum wheels
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Oil filter not tight?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Not sure - would have thought it would have leaked sitting all winter or the first 2 weeks of driving when out of winter hibernation. It is oil though. Just strange why it would start to leak now....

painted aluminum wheels
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

So it's some what a watery oil mix? We get the same with our van, watery oil mix. The only thing that makes sense is condensation from the ac mixing with crud and leaking down. It doesn't have a coolant color (though looks like coolant on the ground) or smell. No real oil smell. But it's a water puddle with an oil film feeling.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016
Rookie

If it is oil, the gasket for the drain plug is probably warped slightly. Every time you change the oil and remove the plug, you change the gasket pressure when the plug is reinstalled. After about 4 oil changes, the gasket needs to be replaced. I do these regularly on all the vehicles I take care of. Replacing the gasket is fairly easy; cut off the old gasket and push on a new one. The plug stops leaking for a while until you change the oil again.

1997 Crown Vic P71***ex-U.S. Marshall service (the CAR) definitely NOT stock..best time at State Capital was [email protected] MPH with me, my tools, and a full tank
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
It's under warranty - so we are taking it to the dealer - but I wanted some ideas so they can't say - we can't find it etc. They are a pretty good dealer but you never know.

painted aluminum wheels
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Oil filter not tight?
You guessed it. Apparently when I brought it out a few weeks ago there were some leak marks my husband didn't mention. He just cleaned them up - but when it continued he said something. What surprised me was they said first thing - if it was anything we did to make it leak it would cost us 56 bucks JUST TO LOOK at it. Well they admitted the filter wasn't tight and they must not have tightened it last fall when we did the oil change before putting it away for the winter. So new oil and filter - we still have paper down in the garage just to make sure (they said they cleaned up all the oil in the engine) Hopefully this is all it is.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

painted aluminum wheels
PONY Member

Garage
The tightness of oil filters is kind of an art. Too tight and you mess stuff up and they are impossible to get off after the engine heat cycles a few times, too loose and it leaks everywhere.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

PONY Member

I did that. My previous oil change, I didn't get the filter on tight enough.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
The tightness of oil filters is kind of an art. Too tight and you mess stuff up and they are impossible to get off after the engine heat cycles a few times, too loose and it leaks everywhere.

Not a difficult art. Spin it on until the gasket touches the mounting base, then tighten another 3/4 turn. Don't forget to wipe some clean oil on the gasket prior to installation. I also pre fill the filter as much as practical.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt2012 View Post
Not a difficult art. Spin it on until the gasket touches the mounting base, then tighten another 3/4 turn. Don't forget to wipe some clean oil on the gasket prior to installation. I also pre fill the filter as much as practical.
^^^THIS^^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page