Looking to buy first Mustang GT - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Looking to buy first Mustang GT

I've been looking into buying a GT for quite some time now. Was planning on pulling the trigger in the fall but decided to wait until the spring due to being located in the Northeast.

Currently looking at a 2011 6 speed manual GT premium, black leather trim, kona blue exterior, Brembo brakes and the 19" wheels that come with the Brembo package. Pretty stock otherwise (no HIDs, no heated seats, no NAV, etc). Very clean inside and out. 30k miles. Dealer is asking for $21,890. Seems to be a decent price considering my location, mileage, and condition. Maybe I can get down closer to $21k. Does that seem like a good deal? This will be my first purchase through a dealer so I'm not sure exactly how much room there is on a used car like this.

My main concern is the transmission. I did not notice any issues with the transmission when taking it out for a test drive. However, I've read a lot about the MT-82 transmission and it seems to be hit or miss with the early '11 5.0s. Should this be a concern when buying used? Is there a preventative fix to these issues or is it just a matter of time before it becomes a major problem? My budget is really in the 25k max range but I would like to leave some room for some upgrades so really the only alternative to the 2011 automatic or a 2012 manual. I really would prefer a manual though. My other option would be to hold off until next year and get a '13 or '14.

Any input would be appreciated. I've done quite a bit of research online in the past few months so I'm fairly familiar with these cars but any advice to someone who is looking to buy their first 5.0 GT would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member

If it made it this far and isn't noisy, it's one of the good ones. People way blow this out of proportion and I am actually one of the unlucky few that had serious problems with mine so, you'd expect me to be a hostile witness.

My advice is to stretch a bit and get a 13-14. They are much better than the 11-12 cars in terms of incremental development and have higher value, being not first year and newer.

I've had 5 Mustangs, 2 of them S197s, a 2012 BBP and a 2014 BBP I have currently so, my comparison is based on real experience between the 11-12 and 13-14. Frankly, I like my cars loaded up with bells and whistles, especially American cars, that tend to the cheap inside so, I'd recommend looking for a set of options you really want and don't compromise.

PMDmustang13 likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Low miles on the 2011 is a good thing. Also, if it is a Ford Certified Used car it should have a drive-train warranty up to 100,000 miles. My 2012 ran really well. I drove it for 15,000 miles before I traded it for my current GT500. I drove the 2012 everyday in New England. What made the car better for me was eliminating the skip shift (easy fix) and replaced the shifter busing and shifter. I'm not big on modding any car, but this really helped. A functional mod that actually makes the car better is a good thing. You can probably talk them down to maybe $19,800. They still make a little on the trade-in and you get it for under $20,000.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
PONY Member

I don't know how much credibility to put into Consumer Reports, but the latest car issue put all the Mustangs in the subject year range into the used car "stinky" category with the exception of the 2014. FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I will say that I had 7 warranty claims on my 2012 V6 Premium (traded at 56k miles) and NONE so far on my current 2014 GT Pemium (currently 29K miles). So maybe there's something to their rating....

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Check out my signature for the Mustangs I have owned/own. They are all going to have there own unique issues no matter what you get honestly.

I had 1 of the "unlucky" 2011 5.0 Manual's with whine so loud I literally got asked all the time what type of supercharger and how much boost I was running. I am not kidding here this happened on numerous occasions. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they keep saying it is "normal"... It whined format he day I bought it to the day I sold it at around 36K miles. No really issues just whine.

If you had asked about 2 months ago I would have recommended the 2013-2014 as I was in the market for one, but since buying my Boss 302 I have done hours of research around the many issues I am having and I am finding the 13-14 Gt's share some of the issues like clutch issues at higher RPM's and etc. So really you just need to pay attention to what you buy, follow your instinct on it, and not be afraid to walk away and keep looking as there will always be plenty of Mustangs for sale. Also if you don't know a lot about cars like you said take somebody that does with you or pay a little bit to have a inspection/look over done.

Good luck, keep us posted, and ask any questions you have.
PMDmustang13 likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I have a very early Build 2011 GT,the only problem I have had was a fuel pump, Ford replaced it, I also have the A/T, the car has been perfect for me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanglife View Post
so really you just need to pay attention to what you buy, follow your instinct on it, and not be afraid to walk away and keep looking as there will always be plenty of mustangs for sale.
amen!!!

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016
GT Member

I had Ford rebuild my 2012 MT82 when it whined like described, at 6200 miles. It was fine after that. I had multiple small warranty issues like: sway bar end links, leaking shock, a couple sat nav antennas. Ford replaced that stuff without batting an eye but the trans took some tough negotiating.

My '14 was flawless until both pony lamps decided to blur out and look like a scene from Sin City. Ford tossed another set in there and they are pin-sharp again. NBD but, the GF loves the little horsies on the ground.

Always plenty of Mustangs to look at; no real need to compromise. I find the biggest challenge is finding them with the level of options that satisfies me...as in totally loaded.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016
PONY Member

My 2012 V6 issues: leaking windshield, leaking shock, bad steering rack, bad A/C blend door actuator, terrible interior panel fit-up on the forward driver door sill, bad LCA bushings. In cold weather, the windows would not go down or back up if you managed to get them down...I never took it in for that. It also had a buzzy rattle in the dash that I couldn't find and decided to live with. Compared to my 2014 GT, it was quite inferior!

SHELBY GT 350 Member

I would honestly wait. There was a 14 base GT with 13k miles I was looking at before I got my premium 14 GT. They were asking $29k for the base GT at the time.
GT Member

Cars, and everything else, are insane where I am, because we have so much staggering wealth in the town I live in. I don't have it but, lots of others do.

Look afield a bit, to places where the economy isn't so good and you can often get newer stuff, much more discounted.

I picked up my bloat-loaded with everything but rear view cam and glass roof 2014, for 34 with ~10,000 miles on it, in last October. The window sticker on that car $48,039. So, that's pretty heavy depreciation for a car just a year old. It's not the deal of the century but, like I said, things are expensive here.

Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg11010 View Post
Dealer is asking for $21,890. Seems to be a decent price considering my location, mileage, and condition. Maybe I can get down closer to $21k. Does that seem like a good deal?
My 2012 has about 80k on the clock and I have been shopping around for a diesel and have toyed with the idea of selling my car, private party sell and trade in. I've had offers at stealerships at 17-19K, private party is more like 21k. The Mustang market might not be as saturated as your area, but Mustangs are the far more common pony car, here in UT.

'12 Mustang GT w/ Brembo Package 3.73s in Race Red, Boss Steering Wheel, Black Cobra Leather/Suede seats, GT500 axle-back, Heartthrobe Straight Piped h-pipe, Airraid CAI, Bama 91 SF3, Boss Brake Lines, Barton Shifter Bracket and Eibach Pro Kit

'64 Chevrolet Impala SS- frame off LowRod
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swazo View Post
My 2012 has about 80k on the clock and I have been shopping around for a diesel and have toyed with the idea of selling my car, private party sell and trade in. I've had offers at stealerships at 17-19K, private party is more like 21k. The Mustang market might not be as saturated as your area, but Mustangs are the far more common pony car, here in UT.
Yeah, but you have a '64 Impala SS! I had a '65. I wish that I still had it!

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg11010 View Post
I've been looking into buying a GT for quite some time now. Was planning on pulling the trigger in the fall but decided to wait until the spring due to being located in the Northeast.

Currently looking at a 2011 6 speed manual GT premium, black leather trim, kona blue exterior, Brembo brakes and the 19" wheels that come with the Brembo package. Pretty stock otherwise (no HIDs, no heated seats, no NAV, etc). Very clean inside and out. 30k miles. Dealer is asking for $21,890. Seems to be a decent price considering my location, mileage, and condition. Maybe I can get down closer to $21k. Does that seem like a good deal? This will be my first purchase through a dealer so I'm not sure exactly how much room there is on a used car like this.

My main concern is the transmission. I did not notice any issues with the transmission when taking it out for a test drive. However, I've read a lot about the MT-82 transmission and it seems to be hit or miss with the early '11 5.0s. Should this be a concern when buying used? Is there a preventative fix to these issues or is it just a matter of time before it becomes a major problem? My budget is really in the 25k max range but I would like to leave some room for some upgrades so really the only alternative to the 2011 automatic or a 2012 manual. I really would prefer a manual though. My other option would be to hold off until next year and get a '13 or '14.

Any input would be appreciated. I've done quite a bit of research online in the past few months so I'm fairly familiar with these cars but any advice to someone who is looking to buy their first 5.0 GT would be great. Thanks
My 2011 had problems in cooler weather and 2nd gear. Crunch and Miss and Grind. My 2014 has the same issue, though not nearly as bad. If I drive on a cold day, I shift 1-3 or just start in 2nd, until the Transmission warms up. In the heat, the car is great!

2014 Sterling Grey 5.0 Brembo
* ROUSH Axle-Back Exhaust
* JLT Oil Separator (Passenger)
* RAXIOM Tail Light Sequencer
* ARAID Race CAI
* BAMA Tune (91-Perf / 93-Race)
* 20% Tint

Last edited by 1972mach1; 03-28-2016 at 01:17 AM. Reason: sp
Apprentice

do an internet search and stick to FORD CERTIFIED or CARMAX with the full warranty.

This is very valuable with a used muscle car.

Also, check the Carfax and avoid anything that was a rental car.

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in