Car left me stranded. Diagnoses help needed. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Car left me stranded. Diagnoses help needed.

I was cruising on the highway tonight at 65 mph when all of a sudden the engine loses power. It's still running but no longer response to throttle input. No loud bang, no terrible noises coming from the engine, no CEL. I coasted to the side of the road and am currently waiting on a tow. Engine will crank but doesn't catch. The car was procharged about 3 weeks ago. (P1 tuned by Lund, nothing crazy about the setup). No charge tubes have popped off and nothing else obvious looks wrong. No burned fuses. Sparks plugs look fine. Nothing leaking under the car. Reloaded the tune but that didn't help either. Oil level is a bit low but wouldn't think that would cause such a sudden issue. Does anybody have any insight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016
Apprentice

Garage
is the CEL bulb lighting up when you turn the key on? if you have a burned out bulb you won't notice the CEL. but your model prob has an LED

Windsor Jr. heads, 4.10 gears, bored to 306, cam, headers, h-pipe, line lock, shift kit, 24lb injectors, and cold air induction
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpanama View Post
is the CEL bulb lighting up when you turn the key on? if you have a burned out bulb you won't notice the CEL. but your model prob has an LED
Yeah the CEL lights up in accessory mode (as normal) but my SCT doesn't show any codes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

With the key on but not started, push the gas pedal to the floor and see if you can hear the actuator. While running and in neutral or park, does it rev up when you give it gas? If it was running though no power, it's getting spark and fuel. Are you M6 or A6? I'm surprised a cel didn't come on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016
GT Member

Check the connection at the electronic throttle (by which I mean the TB underhood). Did you have to mess with that like in a Vortech/Paxton install?

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016
GT Member

Make sure the mass air flow sensor is installed and connected. Mine fell out and did the same thing.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
With the key on but not started, push the gas pedal to the floor and see if you can hear the actuator. While running and in neutral or park, does it rev up when you give it gas? If it was running though no power, it's getting spark and fuel. Are you M6 or A6? I'm surprised a cel didn't come on.

I can't hear an actuator with the key on and peddle down. All I hear is the throttle body opening and closing. I don't think I heard the BAP cycle either. Going to take a closer look today. It's a M6.

The engine isn't catching any longer, so either spark or fuel. Spark plugs are brand new and just regapped the other day. Leaning towards boost a pump or fuel pump.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Check the connection at the electronic throttle (by which I mean the TB underhood). Did you have to mess with that like in a Vortech/Paxton install?
I didn't for the supercharger install but had to swap the connector onto the BBK 85mm throttle body when I installed that. Seems to be working ok. I can hear the TB opening and closing while modulating the throttle.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
Make sure the mass air flow sensor is installed and connected. Mine fell out and did the same thing.
MAF appears fine. The shroud was pretty squished but the wires inside look untouched.
Rookie

Mine did the same thing and it ended up being a fuel pump relay. I can't remember the exact position right now, (at work and don't have car here) but under the hood in the fuse box on the right side there is a little black relay about the size of a dime and it is square. There are 2 the same size right beside each other, one is for the A/C and the other is for the fuel pump. Swap em and see if it fires up! These are electronic relays, not like the usual clicker type relays and are like $40 each.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Got it replaced and some brake components installed that I had lying around for a good deal so all is well that ends well. I'm told pump failures shouldn't happen at my power level, especially not after 3 weeks. Must have been going bad regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page