19" rims width - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

19" rims width

I just got a new pair of summer tires for my 2013 GT/CS - I went with with The new Nitto G555 and really like them - I have used 275/40-19 in the past with no issues so went with the same size - When I had this pair installed and balanced they measured the rim and it was 9" not the 8.5 advertised - I have no idea why this was but they are pros and assured me that was the width - this is just FYI - maybe that is the reason I had no problems and the fit looked fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Forgot to say this was rear only - have the 245/45-19 on front also Nitto but all season performance

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
PONY Member

Garage
The factory 19 inch wheels from the Brembo/Track Pack cars are 19x9. Not sure what options came on the GT/CS cars. Are your wheels factory?

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
PONY Member

You have different tires front & rear?

I'm thinking that's a bad idea.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

never been a problem works just fine -

and never thought about it but I do have the track pac explains the 19 9 inch
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
never been a problem works just fine -

and never thought about it but I do have the track pac explains the 19 9 inch
C/S or Track Pack.....now I'm confused.

With All-Season tires up front, and Ultra-High Performance tires on the back, you'll have big under-steer.
I'm guessing that isn't a concern for you.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
. . .you'll have big under-steer.
I'm guessing that isn't a concern for you.
Only happens at 9.9/10ths of maximum cornering grip so pretty much never a concern on the street, as far as I can tell.

I never could understand why people talk about understeer on the street?

Different story on the track . . . gotta have all 4 tires howling pretty good before any significant understeer shows itself . . . I just can't imagine doing that on the street.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Only happens at 9.9/10ths of maximum cornering grip so pretty much never a concern on the street, as far as I can tell.

Different story on the track . . . gotta have all 4 tires howling pretty good before any significant understeer shows itself . . . I just can't imagine doing that on the street.

The grip levels front to rear will be very different. In the OP's case, what is 7/10s or 6/10ths at the back, well within grip available, will be 11/10ths at the front, past the grip available.

With 4 Ultra High Performance tires, then under-steer is an issue only when pushing very hard. With All-seasons up front and Ultra High Performance in the rear, the rear will grip beautifully, and the front will plow on straight, at a lower than anticipated speed.

Still, I'm thinking it's not a concern for the OP.

And FWIW, I've experienced under-steer and over-steer on the street. Plus there's emergency situations to consider; having all-seasons on the front just kills braking performance.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post

Agreed.

Ideally one should have matching tires all around but if circumstances prevent that from happening I don't think there is going to be an issue in most cases.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . With All-seasons up front and Ultra High Performance in the rear, the rear will grip beautifully, and the front will plow on straight, at a lower than anticipated speed. . . . Plus there's emergency situations to consider; having all-seasons on the front just kills braking performance.
OK I do see those points . . . but still like you say probably not an issue under normal circumstances on the street.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Sorry I mislead you guys the tires on the front and rear are the same Nitto tread just different sizes - However before these I
G force on the rear in the summer and the stock P Zero on the front No issue at all -again I do not road race just 1/4 Mile - The one issue that I am sure you all know with staggered tires you get a less miles out of a set.
PONY Member

Garage
I have a 2014 GT California Special....track pack was not an option for 13/14 GT CS package. CS GT's option list was severely limited in scope.....even the optional rear backup sensors weren't available.

JediDave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
I have a 2014 GT California Special....track pack was not an option for 13/14 GT CS package. CS GT's option list was severely limited in scope.....even the optional rear backup sensors weren't available.

JediDave
I had to make my own Brembo CS.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
GT Member

whats the wheel say on the back. 8.5x19 or 9x19. also when you measure the wheel its not from outside to outside. its where the tire bead sits to the other area where the tire bead sits.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
PONY Member

Quote:
The grip levels front to rear will be very different. In the OP's case, what is 7/10s or 6/10ths at the back, well within grip available, will be 11/10ths at the front, past the grip available.

With 4 Ultra High Performance tires, then under-steer is an issue only when pushing very hard. With All-seasons up front and Ultra High Performance in the rear, the rear will grip beautifully, and the front will plow on straight, at a lower than anticipated speed.

Still, I'm thinking it's not a concern for the OP.

And FWIW, I've experienced under-steer and over-steer on the street. Plus there's emergency situations to consider; having all-seasons on the front just kills braking performance.
Does this same logic apply to a staggered set up?

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in