Lucas, Hyperlube oils stabilizers? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Lucas, Hyperlube oils stabilizers?

Guys have you ever used any of these stabilizers? Or how bout engine treatments of any sort, Duralube, ZMax etc. I have used Lucas and Hyperlube in my 07 Focus and my 01 F250 v10 but never have i used any oil additive to my 11 GT/CS. I like the way it works in my truck and Focus, " Extra layer of cushion on the moving parts." With my Stang taking 8 qts., Maybe I'll try it sometime. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
Apprentice

I think before you go adding your elixir to your 5.0 you should read the many posts on bobistheoilguy.com about aftermarket oil additives.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
I think before you go adding your elixir to your 5.0 you should read the many posts on bobistheoilguy.com about aftermarket oil additives.
Will do

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016
GT Member

Amateur chemistry has unanticipatable results. Millions of dollars get spent on creating formulation for oil by the manufacturer. This **** might have had a place in the days when we had to run straight weights but, no longer.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I run Mobil 1 5W30, along with the small bottle of the zinc replacement of Hyperlube in my 2011 GT, have not had any problems,no ticks or knocks or oil consumption.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
GT Member

I had that tick noise so I added half a bottle of lucas zddp and it went away. I did an oil change and it came back so I added the lucas zddp again.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
PONY Member

Not sure about the Lucas stuff but "Duralube" and "ZMax" it just MORE OIL at a high price....."ZMax" made Bruton Smith a good bit RICHER!!
Just use good oil and if necessary increase the viscosity a little to quiet things down!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
I had that tick noise so I added half a bottle of lucas zddp and it went away. I did an oil change and it came back so I added the lucas zddp again.
The tick noise that everybody talks about, is that when the car is at idle and you lift the hood and the engine is going tick tick tick tick tick when idling? If so, i think that's normal for these modern engines. When I was shopping for my Stang, the few that I checked out all did this. They were all low mileage preowned cars.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
Not sure about the Lucas stuff but "Duralube" and "ZMax" it just MORE OIL at a high price....."ZMax" made Bruton Smith a good bit RICHER!!
Just use good oil and if necessary increase the viscosity a little to quiet things down!!
It gets pretty hot here in SoCal. Cars warm up pretty fast. Do you know what thermostat comes in our coyote engines? 170,180?
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
The tick noise that everybody talks about, is that when the car is at idle and you lift the hood and the engine is going tick tick tick tick tick when idling? If so, i think that's normal for these modern engines. When I was shopping for my Stang, the few that I checked out all did this. They were all low mileage preowned cars.
no need to open the hood. its not a consistent tick either. You can hear it with the windows down sitting in the car. That other tick is just the injectors or coils. sounds like a ball bearing dropping into a pan. theres a lot of thread and videos on the noise but no one has been able to fix it or figure out what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hga9tZMtN0g not my car but this is the noise.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
no need to open the hood. its not a consistent tick either. You can hear it with the windows down sitting in the car. That other tick is just the injectors or coils. sounds like a ball bearing dropping into a pan. theres a lot of thread and videos on the noise but no one has been able to fix it or figure out what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hga9tZMtN0g not my car but this is the noise.
Checked out the video, my car does not do that.
GT Member

I guess I got two special ones because none of the two I have had did this. They got fed MC oil exclusively because, I wasn't having any problems, why experiment?

ZDDP is a recognized additive that used to be used more commonly in oil formulations for 70+ years so, it has a legit history. It is still widely used in stationary engines and such, as a wear reducer. It's a toxic heavy metal and as such, has environmental impacts and that's why it's disappearing from regular motor oils. That and the fact modern engines are built t a higher quality standard, making this stuff less necessary.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
Checked out the video, my car does not do that.
this is the "dreaded tick after first oil change tick" there are a lot of people with it. many have gone to the dealer with not luck. I heard one guy got a brand new motor from ford and then his first oil change he got the tick again.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I guess I got two special ones because none of the two I have had did this. They got fed MC oil exclusively because, I wasn't having any problems, why experiment?

ZDDP is a recognized additive that used to be used more commonly in oil formulations for 70+ years so, it has a legit history. It is still widely used in stationary engines and such, as a wear reducer. It's a toxic heavy metal and as such, has environmental impacts and that's why it's disappearing from regular motor oils. That and the fact modern engines are built t a higher quality standard, making this stuff less necessary.
its not the actual oil that is causing it. theres people that have it who go to ford for there oil changes. some people say its the main bearings. who knows. My car still runs dope tho.

PONY Member

I have a bit of a tick. No effect on performance though. Hell, at 44k miles this thing seems stronger than ever.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page