Going to have a Boss 302R EAS installed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Going to have a Boss 302R EAS installed

I have had it with high speed front end vibration with no solutions.
My car is lowered, has bump steer and stiffened bushings.

Typically, I don't like throwing parts at something that may not be needed, but there have been those times in the last 42 years where nothing else will work but to throw parts at the problems. This one of those cases and solely my own idea.
Therefore, I put a deposit down at a local shop (SC Racing) to order and have them install a Boss 302R EAS.

My current thinking is that there is only one steering mode not three like I have now in my 2012 Shelby GTS. I also wonder about any DSC error codes that may pop up.

I have researched this Boss 302R EAS on the net, and I cannot find much on it for retrofitting on a 2012 GTs, so I am guessing this is a bit avante garde. Well, off into the Great Unknown or maybe The Abyss.
I'll find out in a couple weeks.

BTW, I am going to save the old GT EAS in case we need to revert back.

Thoughts?

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016
GT Member

Do you mean stiffened A-arm bushings? If so, that might be the reason for the issues you are having. You can search EPAS instead of EAS and find more information.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-bushings.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...eel-shake.html

Seems like you are going the same route as this guy below.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ixed-mine.html

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

EPAS not EAS. That certainly makes a difference when searching.

The vibration I have is both steering wheel and vibration throughout the car over 80MPH. It's quite annoying.
I have 255s on the front as well as lowered and with a Drake bump steer unit.

My Goodyears have been replaced with a new set as of last year and I still have the problem. I have tried 4 different balances from 4 different shops, have had the dealer and 2 other shops look at the front end and no one sees any problems. They have been road forced and everything is round and the run out good.

My steering wheel bobbles slightly, though not radically and both the steering wheel and body shakes/vibrates horribly over 80MPH.

In reading the links you posted (thank you), it appears that some say a 13/14 rack might make a difference, or the Ford Racing one as well.

I am going to try the Ford Racing one but mine is not a 2011. I may lose the 2012 3 choices of steering wheel feel, but that would be OK.

SC Racing thinks I might be on the right track and the guy said he knows Terry at Vorshlag and may call him if we run into problems like error codes etc.

I am going to give it a try as I have no where to turn at this point. It may end up doing nothing, I don't know.
It also may be that once installed, I may have turn the DSC off, which I could live with because the car is very stable with the setup I have.

Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
PONY Member

Stupid question, but did you put new wheels on and not remove the brake disc mounting gizmos? Those little clips that hold them on during the manufacturing process?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I did look for those the last time the wheels were off and did not see them.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
I did look for those the last time the wheels were off and did not see them.

Oh they are there and can be easily missed. If they are let me tell yah it will feel like your wheel is missing a lug nut it vibrates pretty good.

I still have some shake since installing my AMR's about a year ago, but not terrible. Just sakes at certain speeds and not all the time at those same speeds either. Very weird.

Back to the point make sure the clips are off or you will have shake no matter what you do.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I didn't used to have shake after the mods from SAI 4 years ago.

This began slowly a couple of years ago.

I assume SAI removed the clips when they put the Wilwoods on.
I will check again when we go to install of the EPAS.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I also kind of want to figure this out.

I only have about 3 years of owning this car and want it all set up properly for my brother.

I am terminal, and he has agreed to buy the car after after I'm gone. It'll help out the wife.
I don't want this sitting in the garage and reminding her of me daily.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I went out for a ride just now and if I turn off the DSC, things are a lot better by about 60%.

The problem with that is if I am already on the move, I need to stop to turn the DSC off.
It also locks the steering in Sport mode (I think). It said locked but the steering was already in sport mode.

If I have the steering in Sport with DSC engaged, here comes the high speed vibration again.

Banned

Going to have a Boss 302R EAS installed

Ice, I am saddened and sorry to hear this about your health.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks, not much can be done about it.
I do have about 3 years left though and if not for the accidental discovery, I would have been dead by Christmas.
Most of us do not have the luxury of writing our last chapter.

I am retiring sometime late this summer. If interested, you can read my open letter press release here:
https://www.facebook.com/coloradocrushfootball

I need to call the shop today and see when the new EPAS unit comes in.
Plus, it will be 70 degrees here today with no wind, a perfect day for the Mustang.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

And it was a perfect day for a ride... with the Advancetrac completely shut off, vibration levels were tolerable, which I can't say when turned on. This makes no sense to me.
The EPAS unit has not shipped yet.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Iceblue, I installed the Boss 302r epas along with the Boss 302s control arms. I believe it is exactly the same unit with all the nannies turned off. It has a good on center feel. Like a hydraulic rack but with a smoother assist. I think it should solve your vibration problems and you'll like the feel. Good luck to you.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks, I am hoping it works out.

The part is in and I am scheduled for install next week.
I worry about it throwing error codes. I get that it would work in a 2011 but these 12's have the 3 mode power steering.

I am not sure what is going to happen and it seems a bit of uncharted territory.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I dropped the Mustang off this morning.

They tell me they talked with some racing group who apparently has this to post 2011 Mustangs and there is a work around for reprogramming the steering to be compatible with the Boss EPAS.

We will see, I should have it back today or early tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page