Lower Control Arms--To be adjustable or not to be - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
. . . I usually put the extra spaces between different items/emphasis of discussion to avoid long paragraphs. . . . .
On this tangent: I like line breaks too, but lately when I post the system seems to be adding extra ones between the paragraphs. I thought it was me typing badly but I see it in other posts too.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wow. That was way more information than I can digest.
Looks like non adjustable is the way for me to go. Thanks guys!

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It ain't as much about phase as it is about ensuring enough down angle so that when the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear under hard acceleration, it doesn't push the pumpkin into an up angle situation, which will trigger wheelhop. 3 links like these don't need alot here, 2 degrees down max on a street car, compared to a leaf spring rear, which will need 7 or 8 degrees down to compensate for the spring wrap up.
I just want to make sure that I understand you correctly. When you say down angle are you referring to the pinion flange specifically pointing downward or are you referring to the relative angle of the pinion flange relative to the transmission flange? Not sure if I am making sense with my question.

On my car and with most other S197's as far as I know the transmission flange points down. Under hard acceleration the intent is to have the transmission flange and pinion flanges at the same angle to be in phase. (Others may say under normal driving you want the angles to be equal to be in phase). Thus for my car's driveline to be in phase the pinion flange will need to be pointed upward. And if I want it to be in phase during hard accelleration is needs to be rotated CCW -1 to -2 degrees(View from Driver's side and variable depending on bushings etc.) so that under acceleration the pinion flange rotates CW.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

GT Member

I mean the included angle. The rear axle should be 2 degrees down from the angle of the rear part of the driveshaft.

Under thrust, if you have the driveline in phase, the rear will rotate up slightly and take it out of phase. You really can't get it in phase with a centre bearing 2 piece DS anyway because the centre bearing is fixed to the floor.

With a 2-piece DS, it isn't that important but, you'll want to set it up like I am suggesting.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
Also maybe we can define the term too? I'm assuming that means the rear axle is not pointed straight ahead....?
Easy question first - yes.

Quote:
JBert brings up a good point - for street DD and occasional Auto X or Drag racing - what is an acceptable thrust angle?

Thanks,

Scott
There may be a spec, but if it's off by enough to notice at the steering wheel as you're driving it's still not good enough (for you, anyway).

When I first put the adjustable LCAs on my car, the axle was out of square by one thread on one side and it was clearly noticeable that the steering wheel wasn't straight when going straight on a level road. When the steering wheel was straight, it would follow a gradual curve in one direction and steer right out of the lane in the other.

One turn of a 10 threads/inch adjuster over a 62" rear track is about 0.13 thrust angle.

After a week or so, I figured out which side to adjust, which way it needed to be adjusted in, about how much to adjust it, and fixed it. It was that annoying.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page