Gonna spring for the Ford power pack! - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Doesn't running 3.73 gears make first and second gear useless?

Over the hill and picking up speed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Doesn't running 3.73 gears make first and second gear useless?

For me it kinda did. Get your transmission gear ratios and play w a gear calculator. http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

GT Member

not useless...I loved the factory 3.73s in my manual GT. Really fun to squirt around on them. I wouldn't put it on my new auto car though, because it already incinerates tires at will on the 3.15s...The 3.73 presented a problem at the track in keeping the car in fourth through the stripe so, I got a taller slick to accommodate that.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Gonna spring for the Ford power pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
not useless...I loved the factory 3.73s in my manual GT. Really fun to squirt around on them. I wouldn't put it on my new auto car though, because it already incinerates tires at will on the 3.15s...The 3.73 presented a problem at the track in keeping the car in fourth through the stripe so, I got a taller slick to accommodate that.
Just curious: It was a six speed right? What rpm would it cruise in at 70 mph in 6th? What rpm would you say the "powerband" would start?
My 95 w the t5 and 3.73's I'm doing about 2,200 rpms at 70 mph and it leaves we wishing I had one more gear for highway cruising.
Also, when I'm just driving "regular" I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd with in the first handful of feet when taking off. Do the coyotes with manuals and 3.73's act similar to that or can you stay in each gear a little longer?

GT Member

Yeah, MT82 Brembo brake package car. Off the top I don't recall what 60 was at, somewhere around 2k, the 6th OD was pretty deep on the car. The engine, untuned, was really dead until 3000 rpm but, after tuning it, the massive grunt of the Procal tune woke the bottom end up A LOT.

You can shift short, start in any gear up the 3rd on the MT82 or you can let it eat a bit. I found it was fine with any of these options. The directness of the short low ratios and the 3.73 made the car a fun little toy around town...kind of a shotgun on casters but it was hilarious. The auto I have now is a little less aggressive, obviously but, it can get its act together pretty well when handled right.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

OK men, bottom line! What kind of HP increase can I expect from a custom tune from VMP, Lund, BAMA, Brenspeed etc.? 2011 GT/CS auto. Bone stock. stock intake with paper filter. I run 91 octane all the time. With tune added only. Besides the better drivability of the car and torque, how much mor HP? 6-10 HP ?
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
OK men, bottom line! What kind of HP increase can I expect from a custom tune from VMP, Lund, BAMA, Brenspeed etc.? 2011 GT/CS auto. Bone stock. stock intake with paper filter. I run 91 octane all the time. With tune added only. Besides the better drivability of the car and torque, how much mor HP? 6-10 HP ?

Yes in the real world I would bet that's a safe estimate, maybe as much as 15 but I bet that's on the upper limit. All of the "custom" mail order tunes for a stock motor are going to be about the same so go with whichever is cheapest. Have them change the shift points and the fan settings while you're at it. The tune will help but it won't make you're car fast enough to outrun or tie anyone that would previously blow your doors off. We're talking about hundredths to a couple tenths knocked off of your 1/4 mi e/t.

GT Member

15 in nowhere near the upper limit. The stock tune sucks badly, especially on the earlier cars. I got 28 real world HP out of the supposed 16 HP Procal on my last car. A canned tune can be really outstanding like that or it can disappoint, though, because it really depends on how your car is to start with. The tune on my 14 wasn't as big an improvement, because the factory tune was way better to begin with. Any tune that takes your car's information and informs tweaks to the tune will be better. For commonplace applications like a stock MGT, though, a canned tune will very likely give you excellent results.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
15 in nowhere near the upper limit. The stock tune sucks badly, especially on the earlier cars. I got 28 real world HP out of the supposed 16 HP Procal on my last car. A canned tune can be really outstanding like that or it can disappoint, though, because it really depends on how your car is to start with. The tune on my 14 wasn't as big an improvement, because the factory tune was way better to begin with. Any tune that takes your car's information and informs tweaks to the tune will be better. For commonplace applications like a stock MGT, though, a canned tune will very likely give you excellent results.

You did a before and after chassis dyno? or you picked up X amount of mph on your 1/4mi?

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 04-08-2016 at 01:55 PM.
GT Member

Dragstrip dyno, my friend. MPH tells the tale of the tape. ~5 mph better on the canned tune.
90lxwhite likes this.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Dragstrip dyno, my friend. MPH tells the tale of the tape. ~5 mph better on the canned tune.

Nice

SHELBY GT 350 Member

OP: Is there a dyno shop in your area? If so I'd go that route vs mail order. Even if the mail order guys do ask questions about mods etc it's still just an educated guess.
Is the dyno tune going the way of the dinosaur? The canned tunes aren't all that much cheaper and the tune/cai combo packs are like $800 aren't they? The first time I got tuned I think it cost around $700. I had to buy the chip and then they charge for the guy to fart around on the laptop as well as an hourly rate for sitting on the dyno. The other two times they charged around $200, the "tune" was "free" (they didn't charge for the guy to d!ck around on his laptop) the just charged and hourly rate for the car being on the dyno. If y'all had the option wouldn't you rather have a guy seeing what's going on in realtime and making adjustments accordingly vs having a chip sent to you that they send everyone else w a cai, etc?

PONY Member

No need for a dyno tune with these cars for just bolt ons. Just get a good tune from someone like VMP and then log the tune.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
No need for a dyno tune with these cars for just bolt ons. Just get a good tune from someone like VMP and then log the tune.
What does a tune from VMP run? If the price is comprable the dyno is still the way to go because it's realtime the first time. Where the the canned tune it's still just the same tune that they send everyone else with the same bolt-ons.

GT Member

Well, it is still a canned tune. However they have done thousands of Mustangs and so, it'll be pretty right. I did make special requests and they accomadated me so, it's a little more than a Procal-style canned tune.

I bought a tuner from them so the tunes came with it. VMP nickel and dimes you because they are a small company but, I'm not saying no to what I want for a $50 difference. The SCT X4 cost me $450 otd from them, with the three tunes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page