Gonna spring for the Ford power pack! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
MarkMartinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Fontana
Posts: 153
 
Exclamation Gonna spring for the Ford power pack!

Gentleman, I think I'm ready to spring for the Ford power pack. This seems to be a cost efficient way to get my 2011 GT/CS auto trans going with an axleback, tune, and intake. Question: American muscle's add says 16hp increase and 61 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm? Torque is where it's at! Is this correct? Let me know what you guys know. Thanks, MM.

MarkMartinez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
Moderator
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,597
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
Gentleman, I think I'm ready to spring for the Ford power pack. This seems to be a cost efficient way to get my 2011 GT/CS auto trans going with an axleback, tune, and intake. Question: American muscle's add says 16hp increase and 61 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm? Torque is where it's at! Is this correct? Let me know what you guys know. Thanks, MM.
Concerning your HP and 61 ft lbs of torque question read this thread I did recently asking just that question about advertised ratings.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ties-come.html


Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
I loved it on my 2012 MT82 BBP. 11.9 at 115 on a slick tire with just that up front.
freewayflyer likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
 
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
Moderator
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,597
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I loved it on my 2012 MT82 BBP. 11.9 at 115 on a slick tire with just that up front.
Looks like you have the track pack maybe? Or at least the upgraded gear package with 3.73 as gears will play a role here. Also slicks will really play a role in times.

Just providing a comment for the OP so he doesn't assume if he gets the pack that he will run those times. haha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
Brembo brake package. Nothing special. I'm no rookie either but, there is no reason he can't and the 115 mph trap speed shows the strength of the tune in a full weight fully loaded car like my old one was.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
MarkMartinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Fontana
Posts: 153
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Looks like you have the track pack maybe? Or at least the upgraded gear package with 3.73 as gears will play a role here. Also slicks will really play a role in times.

Just providing a comment for the OP so he doesn't assume if he gets the pack that he will run those times. haha
My GT/CS has the 3:15 rear end. If the Pro cal tune increases torque by 61 ft lbs, this would be beneficial all around as with the better shifting from the auto trans. I would be happy with high 12 ET's!
MarkMartinez is offline  
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
The Procal really doesn't do alot with the trans but the torque is definitely there.....I'm auto as well and I recommend VMP for tuning in that application. The 3:15s aren't the issue, it's the factory converter and the stock tune's lack of grunt.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016
Moderator
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,597
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
My GT/CS has the 3:15 rear end. If the Pro cal tune increases torque by 61 ft lbs, this would be beneficial all around as with the better shifting from the auto trans. I would be happy with high 12 ET's!
You would see a good bit of improvement with doing a 3.75 gear swap. Also if you go with Bama or a more aggressive tuner I have really heard they alter the auto shifting to be much more aggressive and people rave about the tune improvement.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The 3:15s aren't the issue, it's the factory converter and the stock tune's lack of grunt.
I don't have an automatic and have never driven one but this is in line with everything else I've read about automatics in the 11-14s. Gear changes do very little, if anything. Torque converter changes seem to be where it's at.

The guys that have spent time drag racing their automatics and searching for worthwhile improvements go the torque converter direction, not gears.
90lxwhite likes this.
Blazin72 is offline  
PONY Member
 
Zathras's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 275
 
I have a 2011 GT with automatic, and I have to say that the Ford Racing tune did help me on the low end, but not as much as I expected. It still feels like there is torque management (or something) that makes it kinda anemic under 3000 RPM. Plus I had a lot of ping until I turned on the "octane adjust" setting.

2011 Kona Blue GT Premium
Zathras is offline  
PONY Member
 
moonrakercat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Elora
Posts: 323
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
Gentleman, I think I'm ready to spring for the Ford power pack. This seems to be a cost efficient way to get my 2011 GT/CS auto trans going with an axleback, tune, and intake. Question: American muscle's add says 16hp increase and 61 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm? Torque is where it's at! Is this correct? Let me know what you guys know. Thanks, MM.
Hi Mark - yes AM does do quite a marketing job with their tunes & stuff like that - when I first started looking at it I was amazed also - I had the "I gotta get its" until I looked deeper.

I think if you look closely you will find AM does it's base tests with 87 octane gas - and final tests with 91 or 93 octane - and voila - instant hp. I think if they used the same gas either 91 or 87 start-finish in the tests you would see minimal if any overall gains. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe am would like to chime in on this - maybe I'm not wrong. Remember the stock mustang makes different power with different octane gases - this is where most of the gains come from.

I think axlebacks + intake will do squat for you - the tune will make the difference. It has the effect of giving you maybe 5-7 hp more - but what it does do is affect other things like gas pedal lag and responsiveness - so the car will definitely feel more awake. It does change the torque/hp curve - from what I understand a tune will shift the torque curve more toward the low end of the spectrum - so you will have more off the line, but what you gain low end you typically loose top end. Nothing is free in this world, and if it sounds too good to be true it always is.

I have to agree with the torque converter and gearing issues mentioned above - a tune alone will make a big difference in how the automatic shifts - but be warned - I have heard alot of people on this forum complain that am's tune is a hit/miss with automatics - maybe it is better with their new tunes - I don't know - an automatic tranny is not something you want to mess too badly with - it is a costly replacement item.

You may be best off putting your cash with just a tune/ torque converter and some simple suspension mods like better lca's to eliminate wheel hop.

IMHO anyway.
90lxwhite likes this.

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
moonrakercat is offline  
GT Member
 
5LHO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Point Roberts
Posts: 1,741
 
Well...a proper tune will free up bottom end grunt and top end power. This isn't a pushrod 5.0. This thing has VCT tables, huge closed loop processing power, incredible fueling precision. It truly is win-win.

You really need someone who understands automatic tuning. That should focus your attention on VMP or Mike Rousch, both of whom have huge positive reputations with the auto crowd.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline  
PONY Member
 
scottmach's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: East Haven
Posts: 525
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
You would see a good bit of improvement with doing a 3.75 gear swap.
He would see zero improvement going up to that gear. Stop giving out $hitty advice on things you have no experience with.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
scottmach is offline  
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
 
MarkMartinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: Fontana
Posts: 153
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
Hi Mark - yes AM does do quite a marketing job with their tunes & stuff like that - when I first started looking at it I was amazed also - I had the "I gotta get its" until I looked deeper.

I think if you look closely you will find AM does it's base tests with 87 octane gas - and final tests with 91 or 93 octane - and voila - instant hp. I think if they used the same gas either 91 or 87 start-finish in the tests you would see minimal if any overall gains. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe am would like to chime in on this - maybe I'm not wrong. Remember the stock mustang makes different power with different octane gases - this is where most of the gains come from.

I think axlebacks + intake will do squat for you - the tune will make the difference. It has the effect of giving you maybe 5-7 hp more - but what it does do is affect other things like gas pedal lag and responsiveness - so the car will definitely feel more awake. It does change the torque/hp curve - from what I understand a tune will shift the torque curve more toward the low end of the spectrum - so you will have more off the line, but what you gain low end you typically loose top end. Nothing is free in this world, and if it sounds too good to be true it always is.

I have to agree with the torque converter and gearing issues mentioned above - a tune alone will make a big difference in how the automatic shifts - but be warned - I have heard alot of people on this forum complain that am's tune is a hit/miss with automatics - maybe it is better with their new tunes - I don't know - an automatic tranny is not something you want to mess too badly with - it is a costly replacement item.

You may be best off putting your cash with just a tune/ torque converter and some simple suspension mods like better lca's to eliminate wheel hop.

IMHO anyway.
So when you guys are talking bout torque converters, do you mean a converter that has a higher stall, like for drag racing? And how high of a stall? 2500, 3000? What RPM is the stock stall?
MarkMartinez is offline  
PONY Member
 
scottmach's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: East Haven
Posts: 525
 
I would start with a good tune and see how you like it. That will make a big difference and have you spinning your tires on the street with ease. VMP is a good choice.

A converter makes a huge difference but might be pricey for some. I ran a 4C in my 2011 which stalled to 3800 rpm. That with some supporting mods had me in the low 11's, on stock 3.15 gearing.

Stock converter stalls around 1800 rpm.


2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
scottmach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1