Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This?? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
It seems to be a bit hazardous to have two big access ports to the gas tank inside the car.
They aren't actually in the car. The access covers are under the car. There is just a removable boot under the rear seat. This is quite common as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Garage
Gas Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
They aren't actually in the car. The access covers are under the car. There is just a removable boot under the rear seat. This is quite common as well.
Hell. Blazin72.

Thanks. That explains things better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Holy ****, Rip Van Winkle, where ya been for the last 40+ years?
I have always had older used "practical" cars and acted rather out of character when I bought a new 2016 Mustang GT. This car is quite a bit different than any car that I have had previously (to put it mildly).

It has, for example, "coil on plug ignition". I looked that up to see what it was and found that the car has no spark plug wires. Wow! Then I read that "this has been common since the 1990's." Wow!

I really need a Haynes or Chiltons service manual for this car, but no one seems to have published one yet .

Quote:
You want to talk safety in this car? I walked out, yes, walked out of this rollover with two cracked ribs.
Whew! You right door really hit something hard. I am glad that you were not seriously injured.

Quote:
The tank in this car is ABS plastic and placed in the strongest part of the floor pan, with the axle on one side and trans and engine on the other and steel panels around it. It's as well fortified as any part on the car. Those access ports are just that, access to the sealed and lock ringed parts beneath them, If gas was to try to get inside that way, the entire passenger tub would have to be crushed like a beer can.

That all sounds good. I need to read more about the "ABS plastic" gas tanks, though. When did the industry switch from steel gas tanks to plastic? Plastic would be better than steel in regards to corrosion. I need to look up the melting temperature of ABS plastic.

That was an issue which caused this recall: "The second recall is for the 2015 Ford Mustang with a 2.3 liter engine. If the underbody is too hot for too long, the fuel tank and vapor lines can degrade which could result in a fuel leak and cause a fire." See: Ford recalls 442,500 vehicles for fuel tank, steering problems

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
GT Member

Well, with any mass produced object, there can be problems...witness GM's attempt to deflect blame for actual deaths due to their ignition switch issues over the last couple years. This is especially true of new cars and why I won't buy an introductory year. Even Ferrari encounters problems.

No one has been killed by burning Ecoboosts, I don't think. Manufacturers need to stay ahead of potential problems and the experience of big-scope recalls these days (which would have been ignored by manufacturers in the past, until death) show manufacturers that it's cheaper to deal with the issue than lose market share. Plastic tanks are not universal in automotive and motorcycle use but they are common. Stronger penetration resistance, lighter, rust free for life.

The biggest issue with the 11-14 has been that it is caught up in the Takata airbag recall and supply of the replacement bags is delayed.

The S197 passes all crash tests with flying colours. The new S550 is even better.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

PONY Member

Garage
Plastic

Quote:
Plastic tanks are not universal in automotive and motorcycle use but they are common. Stronger penetration resistance, lighter, rust free for life.
Interesting. I found a site that says: "an average plastic tank weighs two-thirds less than an average steel tank." It also says that plastic gas tanks can be molded into any shape, are less expensive to produce, and corrosion free. See: Light-Weight Fuel Tanks | European Plastic Automotive Fuel Systems

One thing I do not buy is: "When a plastic fuel tank is exposed to fire, it is more likely to melt or decompose and allow the contents to flow out and add fuel to the fire. That reduces the risk of explosion and enhances the safety of the car."

A steel gas tank is not likely to explode because it is vented and is not a sealed can.

See: "Cars Just Don't Explode" : Cars just dont explode | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page