Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??

I'm gonna remove the USELESS rear seats and build panels to replace them!!
When I removed the rear seats today I found what appears to be a BIG BOLT that looks important!!
What is it and how to work around it???

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01406-text.jpg
Views:	4575
Size:	540.7 KB
ID:	510178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016
GT Member

You don't. That's your upper control arm mount bolt. 350 lbs/ft torqued on there, with locktight.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Its the upper control arm bracket mount.

GO ahead and remove it, it doesn't do anything important......

But seriously, yeah don't remove it. You would have a helluva time removing it if you actually tried.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Impact takes 2 seconds to remove the bolt. At least now you know where to start if you replace the upper control arm with a better one.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Hmmmmm.....looks like it will be covered somehow!!
I think the ones sold by AM have a ridge in the middle to work around the bolt!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Clack circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
I'm gonna remove the USELESS rear seats and build panels to replace them!!
Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??-black-circles.jpg

What are the black circles that are under the seat and to the left and right of the big bolt in the center?

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
GT Member

Fuel pump and fuel tank access panels

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Big access panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Fuel pump and fuel tank access panels
Thanks. I looked up a couple of pictures of a 2014 Mustang fuel pump and they show why the access panel is so big:

Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??-fuel-pump.jpg

Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??-fuel-pump-2.jpg

I am going have see what the fuel pump looks like from the underside of my car. The bottom of the car is not very high off the ground. I am puzzled as to how this fuel pump sticks through the floor under the back seat. It seem like it would not have very much clearance from what is below the car. I confess to being behind the times. I am used to the fuel pump being under the hood.

Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??-airtex-fuel-pump.jpg

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness" John Keats.

Where Mustangs Began: 1963 Ford Falcon Futura Hardtop with a 164 hp Challenger 260 V-8 and a Ford-O-Matic two-speed automatic transmission. "The Wonder Falcon".
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback with a 435 hp Coyote 5.0 L V-8 and a 6R80E six-speed automatic transmission. "Race Red".
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
I am going have see what the fuel pump looks like from the underside of my car. The bottom of the car is not very high off the ground. I am puzzled as to how this fuel pump sticks through the floor under the back seat. It seem like it would not have very much clearance from what is below the car.
I haven't looked but more than likely the pump is in the tank. This is pretty common among most makes and models.
GT Member

It is. One panel accesses the pump and one the level sender.

Fuel pump changes are unnecessary on this car, in most cases. The pump voltage is regulated by the ECM and capped at 54 psi because the system is returnless. If this makes no sense, time to upgrade the knowledge base on what modern cars are capable of.

PONY Member

Garage
Gas tank access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
One panel accesses the pump and one the level sender.
It seems to be a bit hazardous to have two big access ports to the gas tank inside the car.

Falcons and early Mustangs (1965 - 1970) used the top of the gas tank as the floor of the trunk. The only thing that separated the trunk from the car's interior was the back seat. If the tank ruptured in a rear end collision, gasoline was inside the car. See: Mustang: A Classic Danger? - CBS News

After the problem of Pintos catching fire, Ford started suspending the gas tank underneath the bottom of the car with straps. That put the gas tank outside the car and placed a continuous steel floor between the gas tank and the car's interior.

Now Ford has put gas tank access panels inside the car under the back seat. It seems like a step backwards.

Last edited by ew1usnr; 04-07-2016 at 05:37 AM.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If that gas tank gets ruptured, you're probably already dead, because the cabin of the car has been crushed.

Regarding the Pinto, from an article in Popular Mechanics (via Google), "Upon impact, the filler neck would tear away from the sheet-metal tank and spill fuel beneath the car. The tank was also easily punctured by bolts protruding from the differential and nearby brackets"

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
PONY Member

Garage
1977 Pinto

Quote:
After the problem of Pintos catching fire, Ford started suspending the gas tank underneath the bottom of the car with straps.
I guess that I was wrong regarding my statement about Pinto gas tanks. They used the "safe" method of being suspended under the car by straps. Here is a picture of the gas tank on a 1977 Pinto wagon:

Rear Seat Delete.....What Is This??-1977-pinto-wagon.jpg

That did not help much when, as Freewayflyer referenced,: "Upon impact, the filler neck would tear away from the sheet-metal tank and spill fuel beneath the car. The tank was also easily punctured by bolts protruding from the differential and nearby brackets"

PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
I guess that I was wrong regarding my statement about Pinto gas tanks. They used the "safe" method of being suspended under the car by straps. Here is a picture of the gas tank on a 1977 Pinto wagon:

Attachment 510490

That did not help much when, as Freewayflyer referenced,: "Upon impact, the filler neck would tear away from the sheet-metal tank and spill fuel beneath the car. The tank was also easily punctured by bolts protruding from the differential and nearby brackets"

So like every fox body mustang ever made...

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

GT Member

Quote:
It seems to be a bit hazardous to have two big access ports to the gas tank inside the car.

Falcons and probably early Mustangs used the top of the gas tank as the floor of the trunk. The only thing that separated the trunk from the car's interior was the back seat. If the tank ruptured in a rear end collision, gasoline was inside the car.

After the problem of Pintos catching fire, Ford started suspending the gas tank underneath the bottom of the car with straps. That put the gas tank outside the car and placed a continuous steel floor between the gas tank and the car's interior.

Now Ford has put gas tank access panels inside the car under the back seat. It seems like a step backwards.
Holy ****, Rip Van Winkle, where ya been for the last 40+ years?

You want to talk safety in this car? I walked out, yes, walked out of this rollover with two cracked ribs.

The tank in this car is ABS plastic and placed in the strongest part of the floor pan, with the axle on one side and trans and engine on the other and steel panels around it. It's as well fortified as any part on the car. Those access ports are just that, access to the sealed and lock ringed parts beneath them, If gas was to try to get inside that way, the entire passenger tub would have to be crushed like a beer can.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	510498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	510506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1863.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	510514  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page