Aftermarket Clutch Kits etc. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Aftermarket Clutch Kits etc.

I am trying to finalize a replacement clutch kit due to my exploded clutch failure. I will hopefully be at the dealer to inspect, document, and photograph the pressure plate, clutch plate, slave cylinder, and flywheel upon transmission removal. I want to be dang sure that this failure can't be covered under warranty because labor alone is quoted at 8 hours at 90 dollars an hour.

I want something a little stronger than the OEM clutch assembly but not too crazy. The car is only putting down about 383 hp at the rear wheels so pretty close to stock power. The goal in the future is to add a supercharger. I like to occasionally go to the drag strip, road course 2-3 times a year, and I am going to try autocross this summer.

I know a lot of people like McLeod Twin Disk RST and RXT clutches but I saw quite a few complaints about them also with my limited amount of research in this forum and on the internet. $752 at American Muscle McLeod RST Twin Disc 800HP Mustang Clutch 6912-25 (11-14 GT, BOSS) - Free Shipping

I am leaning toward the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit. $588.95 at American Muscle. Centerforce Dual Friction Mustang Clutch Kit DF023500 (11-16 GT) - Free Shipping

Maybe I should also be considering Exedy mach 500 stage 3 which includes an exedy slave cylinder and a pilot bearing for $576.99 Exedy Grooved Mach 500 Stage 3 Mustang Clutch 07807CSCAM (11-16 GT) - Free Shipping

The current plan is to reuse the OEM flywheel and have it resurfaced if it is not damaged. If damaged then maybe purchase an OEM depending on the price compared to aftermarket flywheels. But I won't know that until next Monday. I suppose I could order something and return it if I don't need it.

The current plan is to replace the slave cylinder with an OEM slave cylinder priced at $87.07 plus tax. Unless I get feedback or recommendations to upgrade that with possibly an Exedy? Steeda has one for $149.95 and indicates it is an upgrade over OEM for heavy duty clutch assemblies. Exedy Hydraulic Mustang Throwout Bearing & Slave Cylinder Assy (11-16) 639-BRG0186 | Free Shipping!

Ford Racing Pilot bearing for $10.99 compared to OEM at dealer for $22.26 + tax? Ford Racing Mustang Roller Pilot Bearing M-7600-B (96-14 GT, 07-12 GT500) - Free Shipping

And what about a slave cylinder spacer at Late Model Restoration? https://lmr.com/item/RAM-598/Ram-Mus...6-Thick-Steel-

All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016
PONY Member

I have a few thoughts on this. First other than excessive slipping of the clutch which I doubt you do the thing really makes life hard on clutches is a combination of great traction and lots of torque, especially low end torque. If you're serious about a supercharger in the future along with some drag strip action you probably should consider a dual disc clutch even if it does involve some complications. It's hard to imagine any kind of serious drag strip action that dosen't involve slicks or drag radials. Lots of horsepower, great traction and a manual transmission usually equates to a rather high maintenance vehicle. One guy I spoke to at the track was running a N/A 9 sec. Fox body with a modified T-5 and he said he only got about 50 good runs on a clutch. Supercharger or not if you're at all serious about drag racing I would go with an SFI approved flywheel, pressure plate and disc. The bellhousing is integral to the MT82 and it's hard for me to see how you would put a true scattershield on one. If you've never seen the results of a clutch/flywheel explosion I can assure you it's not pretty. I suppose you might be able to adapt a blanket as used on automatics. As for makes of clutches, I've had recent experience with McLeod and Sachs. Both worked well on my '72 small block 'Cuda with a 5-speed Tremec TKO. I did manage to break one of the shock absorbing springs on the disc of the McLeod, but only after running on a reasonably well prepped track with DOT legal slicks. Currently I am using a Sachs and it hooks really well. Sachs makes some low cost parts store clutches, but also makes OEM clutches for Porsche and some other high end cars so I suppose they must know something. No personal experience with Centerforce, but they appear to be reasonably well made and lots of people like them. In your case a dual surface disc might be a good idea as well. Good luck.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Update. I determined that the exedy slave cylinder sold at AM and Steeda is actually exactly the same as the OEM one you get at a Ford Dealer. Therefore going with OEM slave cylinder since I can get very good deal on one.

Nobody provided feedback about that LMR slave cylinder spacer so I went ahead and ordered it as recommended for aftermarket clutches but not for OEM replacement clutches. The tech and I will compare old and new clutch systems and make a determination if it will help or possibly complicate or cause issues.

Probably going to order ford racing pilot bearing since cheaper than OEM with similar part number.

About 95% sure I am going to try the centerforce dual friction clutch series. It is not a twin disc and should be at least a slight upgrade from stock. They advertise it having 90% more holding power than stock. Whatever that means for torque rating?

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Why not a Boss 302 OEM clutch? At one time they were fairly inexpensive.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

I did not even think about that. So those are better than OEM clutches for the track package mustangs? I guess I could confirm by looking it up online if part numbers match.

I checked the Tousley site and same part numbers for 2013 GT and 2013 Boss 302. Similar numbers also at my dealer's Ford Parts website. So I believe they are the same.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
PONY Member

The Centerforce is a diaphragm design [ as is the stock OEM clutch ], but unlike the stock clutch it also uses centrifugal weights to apply addition force as the rpms build. Personally I don't care for this idea, but as I said previously lots of people use and like Centerforce clutches. Both McLeod and Exedy make conventional diaphragm clutches and dual surface discs. If it were me, I would go with one of them, but that's just a personal opinion.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
I checked the Tousley site and same part numbers for 2013 GT and 2013 Boss 302. Similar numbers also at my dealer's Ford Parts website. So I believe they are the same.
They are different part numbers. Try the Levittown repair parts site.

BR3Z7B546AE is for the 2013 GT
CR3Z7B546C is for the Boss 302

It wasn't an uncommon swap when the Boss 302 first came out. Clutches bolt up to 2012-up GTs without modification but the 2011s require the 2012-up flywheel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
They are different part numbers. Try the Levittown repair parts site.

BR3Z7B546AE is for the 2013 GT
CR3Z7B546C is for the Boss 302

It wasn't an uncommon swap when the Boss 302 first came out. Clutches bolt up to 2012-up GTs without modification but the 2011s require the 2012-up flywheel.
Thanks for the information. You are correct. I did a little more research and it appears it attaches to the flywheel with 9 bolts instead of 6. I am not sure if the clutch disk itself is different.

I have emailed my dealer's parts department to get a price and confirm the part numbers for that clutch kit. I had already ordered the Centerforce dual friction clutch kit but I guess I can return if I need to. Do you think the Boss 302 clutch kit would be better than the centerforce or equal? I am 2nd guessing myself now.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Blazing 72 your part numbers match up with what my dealer is telling me for the clutch kit. I had them order the Boss 302 clutch kit just in case I decide to go that route and in case the Centerforce clutch does not make it here in time on Monday.

I confirmed the slave cylinder for the 2013 Boss 302 and the 2013 GT are the same BR3Z*7A508*B and ordered one of those.

The 2013 Boss 302 flywheel is CR3Z*6375*A
The 2013 GT flywheel is BR3Z*6375*D
As you say the Boss 302 Clutch kit works on 2013 GT flywheel using 9 bolts instead of 6. The bolts for Boss and GT have same part no. BR3Z-6379*A. Not sure if one time use, but going to change out the bolts since only $1.00 each. If I use Centerforce dual friction clutch supposedly only attach with 6 bolts and + 3 pins. Thus apparently with Boss Flywheel use 6 bolts and 3 step down pins and with GT use 6 bolts and 3 straight side pins. I ordered both flywheels to make sure I have the proper parts.

Does anyone see a balancing or any other issue with using a Boss 302 flywheel on a GT mustang?

BOSS Member

Garage
I don't know if the Centerforce is any better or worse than the clutch from the Boss 302 but it may have a somewhat lighter pedal feel. I just don't see the need to spend ~$600 on a clutch when there's something else that will do the job perfectly fine for less money. You don't need to get too carried away with a clutch for a GT making near factory power. The factory clutch is perfectly capable and the Boss 302 clutch is a relatively inexpensive and mild upgrade in holding capacity. Yours failed catastrophically and it's hard to say why but it's bound to happen once in a while.

Both engines are internal balance and the flywheels are neutral balanced so there won't be any balancing issues. My understanding is that the 2012-2014 cars don't need a flywheel swap. If locating pins are different then they can be pulled and replaced without replacing flywheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page