low full bolt on dyno numbers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Angry low full bolt on dyno numbers

Hood evening everyone. I drive a 2013 mustang GT automatic. I have the following mods done. Cobra jet intake Manifold. Twin 65mm throttle. FRPP CAI. BBK long tube headers and off road X pipe. 3:55 gears. 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. Upgraded suspension and wheels and tires also. My question is with all these mods my car only put down 398.6 RWHP and 354 RWTQ. I was very upset with these numbers, is this a problem with the tuNE or are these normal Dyno #'s for the mods listed? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
Apprentice

Do you have a tune?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
PONY Member

similar mods custom dyno tune: 425rwhp 382 Torque average of 3 pulls - What dyno was yours done on Mustang Dyno have been known to read lower than a dynojet - One difference in mods I have a boss 302 intake and accufab 90mm throttle body

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
GT Member

Well, you put a CJ and twin 65 on an automatic car with a 6900 rpm redline. No ****, the manifold is barely getting warmed up when it hits the limiter. The only way a CJ is worth a damn is if you raise the rev limit to 8K and that requires supporting mods and a rev limit uncrack like HP Tuners offers. You will make way better power in normal rev ranges with your setup with the stock mani and TB.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
Apprentice

You have to have before and after numbers on the same dyno and then look at the increase as opposed the the high HP and TQ numbers. A dyno may be a calibrated tool but they are different. Not to mention how they perform a pull can change the results.

There was a good article a few years back written by a tuner with over 30 years experience in the industry. He breaks down want a dyno really can and cannot tell you and the differences between different dynos. He also spills the beans on some of the tricks used by some less scrupulous garages in how they can make a dyno read lower or higher.

Bottom line is I wouldn't sweat those numbers, 40 HP difference in dyno runs on these cars is well within possibilities.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Well, you put a CJ and twin 65 on an automatic car with a 6900 rpm redline. No ****, the manifold is barely getting warmed up when it hits the limiter. The only way a CJ is worth a damn is if you raise the rev limit to 8K and that requires supporting mods and a rev limit uncrack like HP Tuners offers. You will make way better power in normal rev ranges with your setup with the stock mani and TB.
This.

What's your rev limit?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
PONY Member

I agree with the comment about the CJ intake- even with the boss 302 we had to custom tune and increase our redline to 7500 - but one thing for sure the car is a beast on the back end of the track in 4th gear revved out - many times I have won in the last 300 ft
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I have a Lund tune on my 14 auto and hitting 8k rpms is nothing. And nothing new and not sure where HP believes they "cracked it"?? Stock untuned, sure but any tuner can get you auto to hit 8k.

I would hope the op would have a tune or with those mods, it wouldn't run right. But it needs to be spun at least to 7800rpms.

And all dynos will throw down different numbers. Weather and such will play a factor too. I've seen boss and cj's put down 410rwhp and up. With your set up and to include long tubes, I would think at least 425+. Take it to the track to see what it runs. That's where you will really know what it makes.

I have the boss and other bolt on's. No dyno time but datalogged through Lund. Numbers are cool to talk about but I only care that she runs correctly and how good at the track.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I'm thowing down the same kind of #'s with my automatic. Only I have the BOSS intake, 85mm TB, and the larger MAF inlet tube for my Steeda CAI (and yes, I have longtubes - full exhaust, etc..) Great gains from my stock dynojet pulls, but not as high as other guys with the same mods report. Don't let it bum you out. Dynos run different. And so do our Coyotes. The auto tranny, the BOSS or Cobra intakes that excel at high RPMs, and even larger wheels/tires can make your dyno #'s look crappy. But on the street and at the track it'll still put a smile on your face.

-2011 GT , 6AT, ROUSH TVS 2300 Phase 3 Supercharger w/ CAI, 82mm Pully, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Bassani Longtubes, Bassani HiFlo Cats., Bassani Cat-Back Xhaust, Eibach Pro Suspension, J&M Panhard bar, BMR LCAs, BRENSPEED Tuned...(More in profile)
-1965 Fastback "A-Code" 2+2 , 289 4bbl Edlebrock Performance, Ravin Exhaust..
Rookie

Go to the quarter mile and see what you run, dyno numbers are only as good as the passes you run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PONY Member

Garage
Those numbers are low for the mods, but it depends on a lot of factors.
Every dyno reads different. Some are very low, some are very high. Some tuners correct for DA and some don't. If you're looking at uncorrected numbers, a car in Colorado will make far less power than a car in NJ due to altitude.
The auto trans saps some power compared to a manual.
The CJ depends on revs to make power. If you aren't revving it out to 7500+ you aren't making the power you should be.

As far as the HP Tuners crack, they didn't crack some hard RPM limit, I'm pretty sure their crack fixes the issue where cam timing drops to 0 for a certain amount of time after hitting 8k.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
As far as the HP Tuners crack, they didn't crack some hard RPM limit, I'm pretty sure their crack fixes the issue where cam timing drops to 0 for a certain amount of time after hitting 8k.
It is indeed a hard limit that people are hitting with Coyote strategies.
I have a two Boss 302 strategies on my computer and neither have the option to apply the patch. It is possible that people with GTs not hitting that limit are running tunes based on the Boss 302 strategies.
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you didn't do a baseline, then the dyno run is irrelevant at this point.

Agree with King 13, the next best thing is to run it down the quarter mile and compare the results with those that have similar mods. Don't forget to post the time slips.

2012 Mustang GT, Ingot Silver, 6M, 3.73, Brembo.
Whipple 2.9, Flowmaster AT Cat Back 817500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bolt on , cobra jet , dyno , horsepower

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page