Any tunes recommended for 87-octane, fuel economy, and better throttle response? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any tunes recommended for 87-octane, fuel economy, and better throttle response?

The lazy throttle response is really annoying and makes me feel disconnected. I don't need more peak power, honestly, the 402 HP on 87 octane is plenty (I'm coming from driving Hondas with less than 140 HP).

Since this is my DD I like 87 octane for cheaper running costs. Around here premium is about 25% more expensive than regular. Better fuel economy would obviously be a plus. Also I don't want something that might grenade my engine on a track day.

I know this isn't a hybrid but the decent fuel economy ratings were partially responsible for being able to justify the purchase in the first place.

What tunes would be the best for what I'm trying to achieve here? Steeda, FRPP?

2012 GT all stock.

2012 GT, 6M, 3.73, 13,500 mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
GT Member

I've had great experiences with Brenspeed on both of my GTs. I'd definitely recommend a SCT X4 from them.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 Stroker, 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. H&R Race Springs, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs, BMR goodies. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | DOB HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
GT Member

I had VMP write me three, 87, 91 and 94 tunes. That's what is available here for fuel. The tunes all make nice torque and power. I like the 91 tune best, because the 94 fuel here is full of additives that sap some of the zip you'd expect from the added timing allowed by the higher octane. The 91 adds timing as KR is not detected so the performance ultimately is the same but with the added zip down low from less additives. 87 is a little softer up top but performs like the 91 potting around.

I'm on auto and that's why I chose VMP; I'd say they are in the top 3 of folks that get how the auto works on this car, tune-wise.

I'd say you aren't really going to save alot running an 87 tune all the time, unless you're doing a 100 mile commute each day. You won't get better fuel economy from running lower octane necessarily, either.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I have Lund and his turn around time is quick. Plus bolt on's are free to update. I had VMP and Lund to test out at the track on the same day. But don't get me wrong, VMP is good too. Just wrote or call them and tell them what you wrote. They will hook you up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I like MPT tunes by Ken Osborne.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. I have an old sct x3 tuner I used for my ford Explorer. Can I load a tune for my mustang with this device or will I need to buy a new tuner?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016
GT Member

Possibly, if it isn't too old and you unmarry it from the Exploder. The X4 is a way better device and the Ngauge is damn good too, by all accounts.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in