5.0 long term reliability concerns - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

What really pisses me off is when a manufacturer purposely designs a car that can't be worked on by anyone outside the dealership or specialized repair shop. BMW is notorious for this...you have to buy a set of special jack pads to even lift a wheel off the ground...from BMW of course. They supply a jack bc European road regulations say they have to but you can't use it. Audi is no better, nor Porsche or Merc. What's the use of a car I can afford to buy but not maintain? We've all had THAT car at one time or another.

I con fix this car and general maintenance parts are plentiful and cheap. It's clearly designed to have someone with a general understanding of cars be able to access parts and repair them. The car is basic, relatively and it's hard parts are tough.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I can completely relate 5LHO. I have changed motors, timing belts, clutches in the past on a few cars but I get this Audi and I feel incompetent. Changing the trans fluid takes the computer to be hooked up or risk not doing something exactly right and a $6000 transmission messed up. I can't find much help on the forums. The audi has part codes for a lot of stuff. Like if my Tranny goes bad I need a KNN code and only that code. NOTHING shows up on used car parts. Not one single shock can be found for the mag ride. I must say, the damn thing is very sporty to take to the back roads and the 4.5 sec 0 to 60 is addictive. With the parts so expensive I am afraid to do my own work. Gotta say it sucks to see corrosion on Mustangs so early and thats not a cheap fix I can do myself and these new motors have gotten much more advanced that we can't easily fix them either. But many other aspects I sure I would feel comfortable working on and hoping I won't need to in the first place. When it comes to needing parts it will be nice to finally have options too.

GT Member

What corrosion? The hood ****? That's actually an easy fix and I haven't seen it on hardly any of these cars where I am. Worst case, throw an aftermarket hood on it and call it done.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
LOL!!! NOT ME!!! I have my GT because it's a total thrill to drive. I make excuses to get in it and go somewhere.

To me the driving experience goes way beyond getting from point A to point B. If that's your sole driving objective, that high-mileage Honda and a million other cars will more than suit your needs. But I gotta have more....much much more.

Living life means getting every bit of gusto that you can out of every minute. Every minute I spend in my GT fulfills that objective. That's just me...
My sentiments EXACTLY!!
Apprentice

I have over 55,000 miles on my 2011 convertible. The engine is still running strong. Two issues I've had is the transmission had the shift flare between 2 and 3 and Ford refused to apply TSB 11-11-11 so I went to a transmission shop and got it done for $500. The second issue is the suspension sags in the front end which has been causing wheel and alignment problems. I plan on upgrading to a Roush suspension in the coming months to correct that.

The main issue I have with Ford is their warranty might as well be written on toilet paper. Good luck actually getting them to fix anything under warranty. Their Customer Service hotline is a joke where you call them and they pretend to care, then you never hear back. Call them back and they play the transfer game with you before just hanging up. It was a lawyer who recommend I just pay for the repairs that Ford refused to honor under the terms of their warranty.

I think the used Mustangs are the best deal right now. Everyone is gaga over the Euro styled 2015+ that the bottom has fallen out on the S197s. My 2011 Premium Convertible GT is blue booked at under $20K! Lots of choices sitting on lots these days and you can also find good deals on older 2007-2010 GT500s.

-Ken
2011 5.0 Convertible 401a with Accessory Package 6 and 19" Wheels

Other rides:
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
2007 H-D VRSCD Nightrod
Beechcraft King Air 300
PONY Member

Motor will last easily 200,000 miles or it should at least. Ford has a long track record of its V8's lasting very reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GT Member

I got Ford's warranty to pay for a rebuilt Mt82 on my last car, plus incidental small stuff like a blown shock, two Sat radio antennas and sway bar end links. The only one that took any real negotiating skill was the the expensive one, the trans repair, obviously.

Now I have an auto and I'm happier....

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
My Dear - If you are concerned about long term reliability, in my opinion, keep the Audi. Or get a mazda/honda or other Japanese car. A Corvette or Camaro maybe. These Ford 5.0s are good for maybe 37k miles at best before the tick renders them inoperable - read the 50+ page threads where engines have been replaced. Yeah - right after the warranty expires unfortunately Until then, you would need to drive it hard and turn the radio up or get loud exhaust! My wife has a hyundai sonata turbo and no tick. My father in law has a Honda Accord with almost 3 million miles on it! Too many of these dang Mustangs on the road already IMHO. 370z forever!!!! Best Wishes.
Yo Jensen, body this fool.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
PONY Member

[quote=Kaantu;8325649]Yo Jensen, body this fo

Thank you Kaantu! Body fool you too Jensen : -) Not sure what that means though... but I am down!
Apprentice

Garage
I think I just pee'd myself laughing.

Thank you.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
It's a League of Legends Meme. Insert a derogatory word in place of the word body. Jensen is an "acclaimed" player in the game...

I didn't know either, but GOOGLE is your friend...

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
It's a League of Legends Meme. Insert a derogatory word in place of the word body. Jensen is an "acclaimed" player in the game...

I didn't know either, but GOOGLE is your friend...
This is correct. But body is pretty much a direct replacement for kill.

Just sounds nicer.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
PONY Member

Garage
Mine is at 40k and running strong if that helps you feel any better. I beat on it pretty hard too. Can't drive it without going WOT at least once, and I've done back to back quarter mile runs at a track rental, and probably about a hundred road course miles. She still runs great!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
My Dear - If you are concerned about long term reliability, in my opinion, keep the Audi. Or get a mazda/honda or other Japanese car. A Corvette or Camaro maybe. These Ford 5.0s are good for maybe 37k miles at best before the tick renders them inoperable - read the 50+ page threads where engines have been replaced. Yeah - right after the warranty expires unfortunately Until then, you would need to drive it hard and turn the radio up or get loud exhaust! My wife has a hyundai sonata turbo and no tick. My father in law has a Honda Accord with almost 3 million miles on it! Too many of these dang Mustangs on the road already IMHO. 370z forever!!!! Best Wishes.
What an incredibly stupid post. The idea of modestly priced Chevy product like a Corvette or Camaro as any more reliable than a modestly priced Ford is nothing short of a JOKE!!

If the reliability experience with Japanese cars like Accords is any better.......you can bet that the primary reason is found in how they are driven......The epitome of a "A" to "B" point car if there ever was one. My guess is the vast of Accords have never seen their Red line. Any car so very BASIC and BORING is very likely to outlast any car that sees spirited driving.

Today all cars, from all manufactures should easily make 100,000 miles nearly worry free for the big stuff......many will see 200,000 or more.......but to get there they all need maintenance and a reasonable expectation/consideration from the driver concerning how his own driving habits can interfere with these goals.

Go ahead.......it won't be as much fun but BEAT THE CRAP out of an Accord with Power shifts at the track on a regular basis......see if it does any better than a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette.......my guess is it wouldn't.

But really....how would we ever get the data on that one accumulated.....the vast majority of Accords are purchased by the "A" to "B" crowd.......boring car for boring people.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHave14 View Post
What an incredibly stupid post. The idea of modestly priced Chevy product like a Corvette or Camaro as any more reliable than a modestly priced Ford is nothing short of a JOKE!!

If the reliability experience with Japanese cars like Accords is any better.......you can bet that the primary reason is found in how they are driven......The epitome of a "A" to "B" point car if there ever was one. My guess is the vast of Accords have never seen their Red line. Any car so very BASIC and BORING is very likely to outlast any car that sees spirited driving.

Today all cars, from all manufactures should easily make 100,000 miles nearly worry free for the big stuff......many will see 200,000 or more.......but to get there they all need maintenance and a reasonable expectation/consideration from the driver concerning how his own driving habits can interfere with these goals.

Go ahead.......it won't be as much fun but BEAT THE CRAP out of an Accord with Power shifts at the track on a regular basis......see if it does any better than a Mustang, Camaro or Corvette.......my guess is it wouldn't.

But really....how would we ever get the data on that one accumulated.....the vast majority of Accords are purchased by the "A" to "B" crowd.......boring car for boring people.
I am 100% sure that the post was sarcasm.

2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200 with torque booser and Lund tune, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page