5.0 long term reliability concerns - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

5.0 long term reliability concerns

So I finally planed to pull the trigger and sell my Audi ttrs for what I am hoping is a more reliable long term (160000) miles car. Then I figure get the gt and get a good ol reliable v8. But then I read about all the engine ticking and some engine replacements and starting to rethink this plan. Used gt motors are damn expensive. Starting to wonder if I want Japanese reliability with something like a 370z. Or go for the v6 instead. Oh I just don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
GT Member

If you are buying used and it does not tick then it probably will never tick. My car does not tick. There are a heck of a lot more cars that don't tick than do tick so don't be scared away.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
PONY Member

My Dear - If you are concerned about long term reliability, in my opinion, keep the Audi. Or get a mazda/honda or other Japanese car. A Corvette or Camaro maybe. These Ford 5.0s are good for maybe 37k miles at best before the tick renders them inoperable - read the 50+ page threads where engines have been replaced. Yeah - right after the warranty expires unfortunately Until then, you would need to drive it hard and turn the radio up or get loud exhaust! My wife has a hyundai sonata turbo and no tick. My father in law has a Honda Accord with almost 3 million miles on it! Too many of these dang Mustangs on the road already IMHO. 370z forever!!!! Best Wishes.

Last edited by Rogan01; 04-09-2016 at 05:10 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It should easily last that long if properly maintained.

2014 Black GT Premium 401A / Track Pack / Roush Phase 3 SC
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan01 View Post
My Dear - If you are concerned about long term reliability, in my opinion, keep the Audi. Or get a mazda/honda or other Japanese car. A Corvette or Camaro maybe. These Ford 5.0s are good for maybe 37k miles at best before the tick renders them inoperable - read the 50+ page threads where engines have been replaced. Yeah - right after the warranty expires unfortunately Until then, you would need to drive it hard and turn the radio up or get loud exhaust! My wife has a hyundai sonata turbo and no tick. My father in law has a Honda Accord with almost 3 million miles on it! Too many of these dang Mustangs on the road already IMHO. 370z forever!!!! Best Wishes.
With your views I'm kind of curious why your even here? To the OP like has already been said if it's not ticking now and is properly maintained you will most likely have no issues, besides who really wants a 3 million mile Accord!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I also think shouldn't worry too much about motor but sort of surprised of these issues that don't even have a definative root cause. Then I like to usually do some searching of worst case cost. I was really surprised at the cost of used engines at like 4 to 5 grand. I once had the fox gt that went forever and my last g35 went 160000 with very minor issues. College for kids soon and unexpected car issues (few thousand) will suck. Main reason for selling Audi is I can't find ANY high cost used items for sale. A strut is 800. But yes. No accord coming here.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
PONY Member

What year car are ya lookin' at??
I have a 2014 Coyote and it is amazing....cannot imagine it will self destruct in less than 40K miles!!
I have a 4.6 DOHC '04 Marauder with a blower that made 256K miles before it popped......rebuilt it and goin' again!!
FORD engineers their vehicles to go 300K miles with "NORMAL" use....whatever that means??
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
What year car are ya lookin' at??
I have a 2014 Coyote and it is amazing....cannot imagine it will self destruct in less than 40K miles!!
I have a 4.6 DOHC '04 Marauder with a blower that made 256K miles before it popped......rebuilt it and goin' again!!
FORD engineers their vehicles to go 300K miles with "NORMAL" use....whatever that means??
Boosted may not be "normal". Lots of Ford's run 300k. I've read about all these people replacing their engines and got scared at one point then I realize that most of these guys had very modded engines.

You are right. I drove the Coyote a few weeks ago and it is amazing.

95 Convertible GT
5 speed
Stock and will stay stock except exhaust and radio.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Every make and model has their issues. I've seen Hondas crap out with under 100k miles. But as long as you take care of it, reg maint and not trying to beat on it daily, it'll last. There was a guy that I remember on svtperformace that had an 03 Cobra with over 300k miles and still going. I know my 05 expedition with 189k miles (most miles I've ever put on a vehicle) and it still drove strong. Only issues with it, ac went out and that's all. Ppl that bought it loved it. And I was never scared to drive it cross country.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

What year and v6 or v8 is going to be a bit dependent on what I get for the TT. I'm probably planning to get as new as I can for about 23000$. Not going to abuse it mostly highway miles. It is just so weird to change the oil in the 5.0 and it then ticks and no one knows what's up.
GT Member

You're coming off an Audi and you're worried about long term reliability? This thing is going to be an M1 tank compared to one of those....

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Apprentice

I believe the long term O & M costs (operations and maintenance) will be significantly lower with the FORD compared to the Audi.

service, labor, parts, repairs, and the availability of aftermarket replacement parts.

My experience is that the costs for the German stuff can be outrageous.

RWSRWS

2013 GT Premium Coupe - white (auto) 3-M Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe/heat extractors, redline leather armrests & console Silverhorse qtr windows Polk & Infinity speakers,DYNAMAT EXTREMEGT500 A-backs
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Fctry Supercharged still own
1938 Studebaker President still own
1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)
1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)
1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold-owned since age 11
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
..... besides who really wants a 3 million mile Accord!
LOL!!! NOT ME!!! I have my GT because it's a total thrill to drive. I make excuses to get in it and go somewhere.

To me the driving experience goes way beyond getting from point A to point B. If that's your sole driving objective, that high-mileage Honda and a million other cars will more than suit your needs. But I gotta have more....much much more.

Living life means getting every bit of gusto that you can out of every minute. Every minute I spend in my GT fulfills that objective. That's just me...

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
GT Member

Hooah, this is more than just daily transport to me, though that is the practical role it serves. It's my road trip, racetrack, life's-in-the-journey object as well.

Life's thrown me a couple really tough breaks in the last year and a bit and the Mustang rides with me through all of it. Makes a difference.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

My wife and I often say, "is it bad to like nice cars this this Much" Lol. Unfortunately we have plenty of daily costs anymore that don't let us just spend whatever we want on cars. We always end up buying used but at a higher level. Much rather have a 2 year old used 25000 Mustang gt vs a brand new honda civic. Yeah it doesn't make sense money wise to some but I like to enjoy everytime I start the car. Also I get the advice to just get a cheap car to drive everyday and take the nice car out for 5000 miles a year. Good idea but then harder to justify a 25000 car and only drive little. So I always do the research to see what Bang for the Buck is my best option that will generally not leave me with big surprises. I like having a car that I don't don't worry one minute about how many miles I put on it over 8 years. I felt that way with my Infiniti g35. Fun, good looking and 160000 miles was no problem. I now have the audi and I do worry about mileage and drive as little as possible in fear of a DSG trans problem or a Magnetic shock getting blown out in our lovely Pa. roads. So I'm now in the middle of my Best Bang for the buck option. G37 looks too pretty, 370z 2 seats plus my first car was an 82 GT bought a crashed 88 Gt and transferred the parts over and still remember those days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page