Clutch - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Clutch

I have a 2014 GT 6speend manual with 24365 miles on it. I am starting to notice sometimes when engaging the clutch it shudders for lack of a better term. The car runs fine when giving gas and the clutch does not slip.
I saw the tranny shifting thread but I have not had any real issues with that yet, but I am an old guy and never raced the car shifting at a high RPM.
I can't always get the car to do it every time and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. Thanks

2014 GT Premium, Ruby Red, 6speed, 3:73 gears, 1969 Sportsroof Performance Red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016
PONY Member

You're not the only old guy here with a '14 GT and a manual transmission. I am less than two weeks away from my 72 nd. birthday. My '14 GT is the first car I've owned with both a hydraulically actuated clutch and fly by wire throttle. All my other manual cars have had mechanically actuated clutches and throttles. I have just a tick over 15,000 miles on my GT and I am still not as comfortable with the way the clutch and throttle works as I am with my older Mustang and my '72 'Cuda, especially on heel and toe downshifts. That said I don't have anything that would be described as a shudder. Usually when a person experiences a shudder when operating the clutch it's generally the result of either too little throttle or a warped disc or oil contamination of the disc. Given the low miles on your car and the way you describe your driving style, I would bet you're being a little too light on the throttle occasionally. This isn't hard to do with a hydraulic clutch and fly by wire throttle. IMO neither has the direct feel of a mechanical setup. Just as a side note not all of us "more mature[?]" drivers are as gentle in their driving habits as you said you are. I found out in the first day I owned the car that the rev limiter hits at 6,800 rpm, not the 7,000 that I thought was the case. I live in SW. Il. and come to St.Louis often so maybe I'll run into you sometime. If by chance you discover that it is a mechanical defect it would be helpful to post it and let everyone here know what the problem was. Good luck and enjoy your car.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks XRacer. I have had the car since new but that is a good possibility since it only does it at a low RPM. Had it out today and it was fine. Go figure.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016
PONY Member

You've chunked the clutch a bit. No problem, it will smooth out over time.

It happens.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016
Banned

Clutch

Another old guy GT owner here. I've had the same thing happen on my '12 a few times and the car has just a bit over 11K on it. I've chalked it up to driver error and not nearly as bad as the driver error when I released the clutch before I was completely in 4th gear. Ouch, that hurt! But we all do it at one time or another.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks stevegt2012. I will keep driving it and be more conscious of the RPM. It runs fine and when you get on it there is no issues and pulls hard with no slipping.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016
Rookie

14 GT ,6speed with track pack here and mine will do it on occasion. Usually the clutch has to be pretty hot for it to happen on mine. It is annoying when it happens.

Its definitely not a driver error issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks merfsiu. That is what mine seems to do when I do when city driving because of the shifting. This is 1st stick shift Mustang that has done it. I have had a stick shift 84GT, 2000GT, and 2008GT before this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in