About to go down the road of forced induction... (P-1SC-1) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
About to go down the road of forced induction... (P-1SC-1)

I'm pretty excited. My wife came home with a small present for me; a box a Ford Racing sparkplugs (colder than stock) for my car. She said I can proceed with supercharging my car!

I'm going to start with the ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II kit for my car that comes with everything to get it going with some boost, including a canned tuned. The plan is to upgrade down the road to a smaller pulley, headers, and midpipe. I'll then get it dyno tuned to get it dialed in.

I know that the tune that comes with the kit is relatively conservative. What kind of RWHP can I realistically expect (I was told 570, but that seems a bit high for a canned tune). Can I expect the car to have a good level of "drivability" with the ProCharger tune? Any other kind of advise or information would be appreciated!

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016
PONY Member

That is exciting.
I think the HP numbers sound reasonable.

2012 Shelby American Mustang GTS 580rwhp 485 ft/lbs Grabber Blue White Stripes
Ford Whipple, 5.0L, Tremec XL Magnum, MGW, Centerforce DYAD clutch, Boss 302 Torsen w/4:10s, 302R EPAS, Eibach Coil Overs, Fays 2 Watts Link, Dynotech DS, Shelby UCAs/LCAs, Wilwood brakes 6 piston 4 piston, Drake Bump Steer, heavy duty cooling, welded axle tubes, Interior Package, GT4 wheels, Borla Touring axlebacks, GT500 rear valence w/parking sensors, and airbag cover signed by Carroll Shelby.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016

With a blow thru MAF setup driveability tends to not be as good as a draw thru MAF setup but we will wait for a few Procharger running coyotes to comment on the driveability

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016
PONY Member

I have the stage 2 kit with the D1SC and driveablity is like stock. I would recommend going with a reputable tuner like Lund or AED. As far as HP numbers, I believe the canned procharger tune on a stock coyote should make about 520HP at the wheels. If you plan on doing headers and a smaller pulley in the future then you may want to look at getting larger injectors. The ones that come with the stage 2 kit are pretty much maxed out. with the stock setup.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016
GT Member

Centri cars at that power level drive like a stock Coyote. You need to load the car and wind it out to even know it's sc, save for the noises.

I'm eventually going TVS myself...nitrous is doing it for now.

Enjoy the fun of a blown car, I've had several and it's a riot.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If considering a Procharger, I would take a hard look at this one...

https://www.procharger.com/procharger-i1

My understanding is you can put this device in competition mode and the electronically controlled transmission will build continuous boost like a PD blower. There are several modes including your own custom settings all selected on the fly using the included touchscreen controller/boost gauge. You could have 10 psi off the line if wanted. It's much different from other centrifugal blowers OR you can put it in n standard mode and it behaves like any other centri.

I have no firsthand experience but from all I've read so far that's how it works. It costs about $2k more but seems well worth it.

I plan on giving them a call and discussing all this before I decide. If it's not as I'm thinking right now, then I'll be doing the VMP StageII Kit.

Just some food for thought...

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I'd love to try that i1 system, but the cost is a no-go for me. I'm spending an extra $347 just to get the P-1SC-1 in black and that hurts!

Major Mods:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
I'd love to try that i1 system, but the cost is a no-go for me. I'm spending an extra $347 just to get the P-1SC-1 in black and that hurts!
Gotcha, well... It's in the running for me. I'm just moving slow and still in the fact finding stage.i was about to make a quick decision and just leap, but my head has cooled down.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
GT Member

You realize you are going to pile more money on top of the blower kit to get it safely working right, correct?

Little things like boost gauges, tuning, t bolt kits, suspension work and tires are going to quickly add up and if you don't do them, you'll likely end up unsatisfied.

The i1 will never be like a PD blower, you still need load and some rpm to build boost, varying the speed of the blower won't change that. A PD takes a trapped amount of air and jams it into the engine so, can produce mammoth torque at low engine speeds. The problem with that is it loads the reciprocating assembly quite hard so, you have to watch that.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
SHELBY GT 350 Member

First to ask if she's got a sister!

As I look around to see if Mrs Mud is behind me.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You realize you are going to pile more money on top of the blower kit to get it safely working right, correct?

Little things like boost gauges, tuning, t bolt kits, suspension work and tires are going to quickly add up and if you don't do them, you'll likely end up unsatisfied.
Was that meant for me or the OP? I'm surprised you would ask me if I'm aware of those things. If it was for me, then yeah... No kidding...

If not for me, then never mind...

Quote:
The i1 will never be like a PD blower, you still need load and some rpm to build boost, varying the speed of the blower won't change that. A PD takes a trapped amount of air and jams it into the engine so, can produce mammoth torque at low engine speeds. The problem with that is it loads the reciprocating assembly quite hard so, you have to watch that.
Again, not sure if that's for the OP or me... If for me then...

Yes, I know these things already, I just meant that it's more able to produce boost at low rpm like a PD blower if wanted. I fully understand the science behind each. Many of the differences are appealing/un-appealing. One reason why I'm taking my time to decided.

If for the OP, never mind....

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've got the kit you're looking at on my '11 and I like it. It does make a majority of its power up top but that allows it to drive like stock on the street (if you choose to) and hook well at the strip without having to stick a pile of money into suspension and/or tires. Mine is custom tuned and the dyno sheets show 620 rwhp but I think 550 is a more realistic number.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Apprentice

I have this "exact same kit" the canned tune at 4k feet elevation only got me 475 rwhp. (Every 1k feet 1.5% loss in power) About 100 more than stock and only 5 psi. Keep in mind my elevation. So the shop I took it to said they could get 500 but would put the smaller pulley and at my elevation get more power and I chose that and I now have 565 rwhp at 8 psi. Car is extremely drivable with no other mods than pro charger stage two with smaller pulley. The canned tune made me run rich without noticing loss in mpg and a lot of power everywhere. With the smaller pulley i did notice a big drop in mpg vs this bigger pulley and now mpg on freeway is 22 and city is 16. at sea level add another 6% for power. Hope this helps.

1990 gt: trickflow entire street kit, 36lb injectors, 190 lb fuel pump, c&l 73mm maf, bbk tb, 3.55:1, 17x8/17x10, koni struts and shocks, 130amp alt, etc.... (Too much extras to list) 296rwhp was stolen
2011 v6 280 rwhp headers, axlebacks, Bama 91r tune, airaid, tb, 3.55, many many mods.... Sold
2014 gt procharger stage two, flow master outlaws axles. 565 rwhp

Last edited by Kewball012; 04-27-2016 at 01:12 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:

This doesn't seem like it needs to be too much of a concern for me. My good friend who is running the P-1SC-1 Stage II Tuner Kit with headers, midpipe, and smaller pulley is running the same suspension as I am, and no other modifications and the car seems to be handling it just fine.

I can see doing a boost gauge when I step up to the smaller pulley in the long run. I'd also like to do a more aggressive wheel and tire setup in the future.

Major Mods:
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Well I'm very excited. I placed my order with a local shop for my ProCharger Stage II kit (for a killer price!). According to the shop, ProCharger will begin construction of my supercharger today, and it should ship in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm really counting on the 3 weeks; I'm not that lucky to get it sooner. LOL Looks like I have projected install dates of June 17th through 19th.

Major Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page