Are custom tunes California state legal? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Firestorm
  • 1 Post By Kaantu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Are custom tunes California state legal?

????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Do you have a state inspection?

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
Do you have a state inspection?
I guess the inspection is just a quick visual under the hood by the shop smogging the car.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Technically no. But if you don't tell the smog shop you're tuned and it's not a low quality tune, they won't be able to tell.

I've had a BAMA tune on my car since I bought it, passed inspection every other year as required. I just switched to AED tune and expect much of the same.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
PONY Member

Garage
The Ford Racing Pro-Cal tune is actually California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved. it comes with a sticker you put under the hood somewhere that carries the EO# or executive order number to prove it's legal. Having said that the Pro Cal tune is not overly aggressive but it's worthwhile for small gains, the improved drive-ability and greatly improved throttle response. In addtion, Ford Racing will warranty your engine and it does not effect your factory warranty otherwise.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
Apprentice

Garage
No but nobody really cares. And you can always save your OEM tune and throw it back on before you go to get smogged.

2014 Mustang GT/CS 5.0 Manual - Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Steeda CAI, Roush Axlebacks, Steeda 91 Tune, 3.55 Gears, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, 275 Cooper RS3-S's
2013 F-250 6.2 - K&N Intake, 35" Wranglers on 20" American Outlaws
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzik View Post
No but nobody really cares. And you can always save your OEM tune and throw it back on before you go to get smogged.
That only works if you only have a tune. If you changed other parts OEM tune will not work unless you put all your OEM parts back on.
ChiZ_65 likes this.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
That only works if you only have a tune. If you changed other parts OEM tune will not work unless you put all your OEM parts back on.
That is true. Sorry, should have specified that.

2014 Mustang GT/CS 5.0 Manual - Boss 302 Intake Manifold, Steeda CAI, Roush Axlebacks, Steeda 91 Tune, 3.55 Gears, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, 275 Cooper RS3-S's
2013 F-250 6.2 - K&N Intake, 35" Wranglers on 20" American Outlaws
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So what everybody is saying here is that even custom tunes run clean, correct?
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
So what everybody is saying here is that even custom tunes run clean, correct?
I'm not sure that's the interpretation I'd take from this thread. If so there would be no suggestion to flash back to stock, assuming your use of the word "clean" means it meets state emissions/inspection requirements.

Also, I'm not sure whether the inspection equipment will detect and red-flag a tune, upon connecting to the OBD II, before even measuring actual emissions.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
I'm not sure that's the interpretation I'd take from this thread. If so there would be no suggestion to flash back to stock, assuming your use of the word "clean" means it meets state emissions/inspection requirements.

Also, I'm not sure whether the inspection equipment will detect and red-flag a tune, upon connecting to the OBD II, before even measuring actual emissions.
So far I've passed emissions every year required with a tune, so if there is a red flag, it's been ignored. My guess is there is none, as long as you run clean.

I live in California, by the way.
wjbertrand likes this.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaantu View Post
So far I've passed emissions every year required with a tune, so if there is a red flag, it's been ignored. My guess is there is none, as long as you run clean.

I live in California, by the way.
Good to know, thanks! What part of California? There are different levels of testing in different geographical areas. I work in Santa Barbara county and used to be able to have my cars tested during a lunch break.

Now however since I live in Ventura county and my car is registered there I have to have it inspected with the enhanced, more rigorous test and they don't do that up in SB County. The far eastern end of Ventura County (Simi Valley) falls within the LA basin smog control zone so the whole county is affected.

Not sure if there are other enhanced testing zones in CA.

-Jeff-
Ventura, CA
2013 GT Premium Brembo
Apprentice

Garage
I live up in San Benito county, our regulations aren't that strict. Blow clean and lie out your teeth when it comes to modifications...

I've even been passed with an aftermarket CAI with only a slap on the wrist. '07 and up need the carbon trap that come in the stock air box.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
PONY Member

Garage
If your tune is not totally jacked you should pass emissions. Tunes generally look for stock drive ability at partial throttle and more power at wide open throttle.

The only thing done to a tune at part throttle is to compensate for any changes in the sensor maps for parts that have been replaced (eg. MAF, O2, TPS, etc). Everything else is done to increase throttle response and bring in more power at max throttle. Emissions are NOT tested at max throttle, so the major changes in a tune never comes into play during emissions testing.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page