2013 GT very annoying to drive at low speed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
2013 GT very annoying to drive at low speed

Hi everyone,
Before I start my car is a 2013 GT/CS with 3.73 gears and it is a manual. It's has a Steeda tune on it and a CAI
I'm not sure if any of you have experience this but this has been driving me insane. My car is basically impossible to drive smooth under maybe 70km/h (45 miles). Every times I very slowly press on the accelerator it either accelerate or decelerate there is no way to keep a constant speed. Also the other problem is when the engine shut off the gas on compression to save gas there is a delay, both for the gas shut off and if I press back on the gas. Now before you say it's normal for a manual/high torque car or that I don't know how to drive manual I used to drive a 2005 GT for 4 years and have never experienced this. I also own a 2003 bmw XI which is manual as well and again no issue, same with my subaru STI 1998. The issue happens with and without my steeda tune.
Any idea what's going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Possibly something with the tune. Have you tried bringing it back to stock and testing to see if the problem goes away? You may need to put the stock airbox back on it if you return to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Talk to Steeda about the tune. It sounds like the throttle resonse needs some tweaking.

Also might be worth a try to clean the throttle body, and the MAF sensor while you're at it.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
As mentioned I have tried to return to stock and i'm having the same issue. I also put back the stock airbox when I did that, I have checked the throttle body and there isn't any gunk it's spotless clean. I didn't try to clean the MAF sensor, I guess it's worth the try.
Other things I have tried so far:
Throttle reset procedure
Unplug the battery
Reset the KAM setting with the tuner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016
Apprentice

It is a combination of aggressive throttle response (tuning) and your 3.73's. How many miles on car? Use some QD electric cleaner on maf sensor to start.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It does not sound "normal" to me. I know my 2010 is not like that and I cannot imagine all the 2013's are like that.

Maybe something wrong with the throttle body / controls?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

If you have a burnt up oxygen sensor, it can run super rough too.

2002 C5 Z51. MCS 2WNR TT2 coilovers, 18x11 Forgestars, 315's, yada yada. Built Z06 T56. Bolt ons. Coming soon to a CAM event near you.

2013 F150 6.2L. 9mpg.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016
PONY Member

Garage
This is most likely a combination of the tune and the 3.73s. A lot of the less aggressive tunes like to ramp up the throttle response to make the car feel a lot faster than it is. Even a stock 3.73 car can be a bit jumpy at low speeds and low throttle. My lund tune has a very smooth linear pedal map and I still have trouble keeping the car from getting jumpy in traffic sometimes.
See if Steeda will send you a revised tune with a less aggressive pedal.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
OP if you have this problem with the stock tune / airbox, I would clean the MAF sensor. If that doesn't help, perhaps you should take it to a good shop. It could be a sensor issue, but I'm wondering why no CEL. Have you checked for stored codes?

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
To answer previous questions my car has 35 000km which is 22 000miles. Like I said earlier it does this as well with the stock tune/airbox. Thanks for suggesting to clean the MAF sensor I will definitely try that out when i'm back home. Also no codes.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Just to update I took the whole throttle body off the car and cleaned it better. It improved drastically the drivability at low speed however it isn't quite there yet... at least it'S drivable now
PONY Member

Garage
I still say contact steeda. Tuned car + drivability problems = call tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page