A/C does not get cold - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
Classic Member

5.0 Coyote is correct in that, someone not experienced in AC, can overcharge a system that does not need it, in addition, all AC systems have oil in them, most automotive ones, the oil mixes with the freon when the system is running, so sometimes when a system requires freon due to a leak it will have lost some oil, and may also require the correct type oil, and not too much, and it has to be added slowly. In addition, when adding freon, your cooling system actually gets worse, due to the freon from the can, and not circulating as much through the system, this is why, when a system needs some freon, I add some from the can, then shut the valve on the can, and let the system circulate to stabilize. This is not like adding oil to a car engine. The problem has to be properly diagnosed, then the appropriate action taken. I'm not saying you can't add freon if it needs it, but you have to be aware of the what needs to be done and the risks. Damaging a compressor could easily cost $600 to $1,00 parts and labor, because when these compressors grind or lock up, they many times flood the system with tiny metal particles, which has to be flushed from the system before a new compressor installed, system evacuated, and freoned back up. Good Luck.

5.0 Coyote likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex1965 View Post
5.0 Coyote is correct in that, someone not experienced in AC, can overcharge a system that does not need it, in addition, all AC systems have oil in them, most automotive ones, the oil mixes with the freon when the system is running, so sometimes when a system requires freon due to a leak it will have lost some oil, and may also require the correct type oil, and not too much, and it has to be added slowly. In addition, when adding freon, your cooling system actually gets worse, due to the freon from the can, and not circulating as much through the system, this is why, when a system needs some freon, I add some from the can, then shut the valve on the can, and let the system circulate to stabilize. This is not like adding oil to a car engine. The problem has to be properly diagnosed, then the appropriate action taken. I'm not saying you can't add freon if it needs it, but you have to be aware of the what needs to be done and the risks. Damaging a compressor could easily cost $600 to $1,00 parts and labor, because when these compressors grind or lock up, they many times flood the system with tiny metal particles, which has to be flushed from the system before a new compressor installed, system evacuated, and freoned back up. Good Luck.
With this now sounding as if it is easy to damage your AC system, I would think that people would be ruining their systems constantly. But I see cans of freon on the auto parts store shelf every year. I wouldn't think they would be selling so much of the canned refrigerant if it was so easy to mess up your system. I don't doubt what you are saying, I guess I just don't want to pay someone to do it. I don't know if any good mechanic shops and I like doing the work myself.

BOSS Member
Classic Member

You just need to do the things I posted first, so I have some feedback, since I am not there, then I might have a better idea of whats happening. Low freon is a possibility, but not the only one. So if its okay, we will start simple and work our way to finding the problem, just bear with me. I've seen mice or rats get into the engine compartment and chew up the wires in the fuse panels, which is a little tough to find, and a whole lot of fun to fix, just FYI. Please post your results. I will try and help you the best I can. Do you have a DVM (Digital Volt Meter), if you do not W-mart has one for about $20 that works pretty good, and it will pay for itself the first time you use it to fix a problem, you may need it when we get to the next step. Good Luck.

Last edited by rex1965; 04-24-2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: more info

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Ok, I would appreciate the help. I didn't have time today but tomorrow I will start diagnosing. I had to clean my throttle body and MAF and do an idle relearn.
I do have a voltmeter.
BOSS Member
Classic Member

OK, great. At least if we can diagnose the problem,then we will know whether it is something you can fix, or you have to take it to a professional. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in