Ford Mustang Forum banner

Ghost Cam Tune

10K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Coosawjack 
#1 ·
I got a ghost can tune from Bama for my 2012 GT. I have LT's and Catted X. They original sent me a mild one made for factory cats and it wasn't working properly. They revised it so it was in between one made for cats and a Catted because I have high flow cats. Was much better after that. The one problem is that I hear a periodic (every 10 seconds or so) tick or clicking sound. Almost sounds like a cracking like the exhaust is expanding. I switches the tune back to the race tune and this clicking went away, so it is consistent with the cam tune. Anyone know why this is happening and if this is normal for this tune. I worry about hurting my car with this tune. Damaging my car isn't worth the can sound.

#3 ·
So if I decide to run it the cats will clog and make my car run worse, but would it hurt the engine?
I was debating on getting an o/r pipe to run the more aggressive can tune without worrying about the cats but I think it might make my car too loud. Bama says it won't hurt the cats, but I don't believe it.

#5 ·
What is a "Ghost Cam Tune"??
A ghost cam tune in a simple explanation is where the PCM is tuned to change the Twin Independant Variable Cam Timing on the mustang so it sounds like it has race cams during idle (the Lopey muscle car sound). It provides no power benefits, it is just for the cool sound.

#7 ·
Bama says that it doesn't. But if it did, they don't have any liability. From what I have heard Bama is conservative with there tunes. Some people went to other resources for their tunes because they said Bama wasn't aggressive enough with their tunes. I appreciate them playing it safe.

#8 ·
I sent an inquiry to BAMA and a "Sr. Calibrator" responded that "Ghost Cam Tunes" are primarily aimed at Off Road applications with no cats!! He did say they have a tune for catted applications but they cannot guarantee the cats won't be damaged from excess fuel in the exhaust.....so I'm out!!:|
I removed the cats from a '95 Camaro I had and the stench was awful!!

#9 ·
All tuners play it pretty safe and being N/A applications, it's pretty easy to do. when it comes to FI applications, a lot play it safe but I've seen some that will put you on the edge with the AF ratio.

the ghost cam, which I've used and it's for show really, it just dumping more gas like mentioned. You definitely don't want to have cats still in with it cause unburnt gas (which is what the ghost cam is doing) actually kills your cats. I love the "offroad" disclaimers when it comes to no cats and such. Also, I don't have cats and I almost never smell gas or any fumes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.