cammed....huh? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GottaHave14

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

cammed....huh?

What does it mean to have a car "cammed"? It sounds awesome whatever it's doing.

Santa Elena Canyon, BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX

2014 Mustang GT Premium black on black and blacked out...
MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieHick View Post
What does it mean to have a car "cammed"? It sounds awesome whatever it's doing.
It means you have high performance intake/exhaust camshafts installed.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
It means you have high performance intake/exhaust camshafts installed.
Sounds like a solid warranty voider and car life killer.....

MODS: Sound pipe delete, tint and 1-1/4 inch Draw-Tite hitch receiver (the towing package)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
GT Member
S197 Member

Not a ton of benefit for a coyote anyway. Really varies engine to engine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
For 2011-up, "cammed" usually refers to the tuning gimmick that gives the car a rough idle. There are a handful of actual cam options but if tuned right even they will provide a relatively smooth idle.

For 2010-earlier, "cammed" actually refers to swapping out the camshafts. Historically, it has been done to raise/widen the RPM band and increase power although in the last 10 years or so the focus seems to be driven more and more by the sound than actual performance increases. Cams like "Thumpr", "Detroit Rocker" or "Hot Rod" still build power but they are biased toward creating a certain sound as much as anything else.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Sounds like a solid warranty voider and car life killer.....
It won't hurt your car unless you use the extra power to go out, lose control and hit a tree. But yeah, crack open the top end for changes like this and the first victim is your warranty.

The real problem with doing aggressive cams in this motor is found in the cost/benefit ......... 4 cams make the job more expensive than engines with a single cam shaft and really Ford has given you 420HP in a small 302 cubic inch platform.

We've come a LONG, LONG , LONG way from the days when it was a really HOT PACKAGE that could achieve an honest 1 HP from each cubic inch of motor. 32 valves was once consider super exotic HIGH DOLLAR stuff.....today it's grocery getter production.

But really .......the older engines can benefit greatly from a cam swap. Depending on what you're looking to get......you can get wild sounding engines at idle no Coyote will ever match for "SEXY" sounding.... or maybe you're looking to optimize low end torque in a heavy truck and you'll usually get smooth a glass idle.......but don't ever discount the cam swap. It's probably the single most important determining factor you MUST GET RIGHT in the combination considered for optimizing any engine for it's application.

I've seen incorrect cam swaps make a DOG out of what looked good on paper......and I've seen emission choked motors optimized to beat the tail pipe test gain as much as 50-75HP with nothing more than a cam shaft swap that ignored the emissions test and focused solely on power.

A really popular trend is seen in the "top end" power combinations pre-determined by companies like Edlebrock to match up the correct heads, cam and intake...and they'll tailor these combos for specific engine displacement and compression ratio. They'll even tell you what carb size to go with too ....... the demand for these pre-designed and packed kits came from the number of people who'd tried and failed miserably to get their combinations right on their own.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well what an elaborate unloading of knowledge and insight! So I think I'll not mess with my 420 horses. I bought my GT mainly for its sound. And I certainly don't use all the horses. I'll continue to explore muffler options for sound enhancement and leave the cams alone.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The cheapest route is the baby cj exhaust cams on the coyotes. There are some gains but I don't think it's cost effective unless you install yourself. I saw great gains on my 05 GT with stage 3 cams. And I definitely miss my 95 GT camming.

Usually the only thing that kills is getting the wrong cam and have piston/valve contact.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hi OH, based on your exhaust post I believe you're talking about the "Ghost Cam" tune videos on YouTube - generally they are referring to a tune that reprograms the engine computer (ECM) to sound like the old school cam and solid lifter engines from back in the day - they are cool - I've been playing with installing one when I get to the tune portion of my modifications journey - I don't think they present any performance differences and ECM tuners will void the MFG warranty but they do sound cool.
Do the GT500 axle backs and go from there - I am...

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
PONY Member

Quote:
Well what an elaborate unloading of knowledge and insight! So I think I'll not mess with my 420 horses. I bought my GT mainly for its sound. And I certainly don't use all the horses. I'll continue to explore muffler options for sound enhancement and leave the cams alone.
That's probably a good idea if you don't really need more power.

The fact is Ford left very little on the table with the Coyote......you have just about all you can get easily in the motor, as delivered.

Today you can get a little more with Tunes and bolt on parts but it's nothing like it used to be in years past. When you do see BIG POWER gains.....it's usually a result of expensive drastic changes like Super charging. Again, Ford did most of what should be done for power already with this motor......they left very little on the table for the bolt on after-market to do "on the cheap" or without warranty killing changes.

The Muscle Era is fading away now. Mostly hype and Legend is all that remains of it. Today you get an honest 11:1 compression, the 32 valve heads and an actual 420HP out of your little 302cu in motor.

We've come all the way back and then some from the big fall in the late 1970s and early 80s. I happen to own a '79 Corvette that I purchased as a left over on the lot in 1980. It's emissions CHOKED 350 was only capable of a 15.0 second quarter mile. The room for EASY gains was HUGE back then. The car is on it's 2nd 350 engine today but before the 1rst one had turned it's last RPM it had run a mid 13 second 1/4 mile. Getting there was relatively easy and not especially expensive......I never dyno'd the engine but it's probably safe to say I managed to just about double the 'as installed" HP and Torque. Heads that raised anemic Compression into the 10.5:1 range, a cam that focused on making power instead of prioritizing the emissions test.. A single plane intake and Holley carb and finally some really cheap headers .....and a tossing of all the emissions equipment all together came in at a cost that was bellow what a modern set of headers and complete exhaust and tune costs for the Coyote today .....changes that MIGHT give you a 10% bump in power if your really lucky. The new cars like this one....they're just that good when you buy 'em.

The Good 'ol days of muscle are no longer in the past....they're here today!!

The only reason to buy old muscle now is found in the nostalgia alone.
B/W GT likes this.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page