Clutch Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Clutch Issues

I've got about 21k on my somewhat new to me 2013 Roush Stage 3 Phase 3 and two days ago I got on it pretty hard in first and when I shifted into second I noticed that the pedal didn't come back up all the way I stuck my foot under it and popped it back up.

Now today I got on it pretty good in Second Gear went to shift into third and it didn't want to come out of gear until I was way low in the RPM's and once again clutch pedal didn't come all the way up.

The last dyno run showed just over 650 hp so I'm not exactly surprised but I'm assuming I will need to replace the clutch.... Thoughts????

Also what should I budget $$$$ for a good clutch replacement (don't have a shop or a lift so i'll be having it done).

Lastly any recommendations for a decent shop in the Phoenix/Mesa area that would do the work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016
GT Member

Try taking out the helper spring. There are several threads on how its done.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
PONY Member

No - I don't think it's the helper spring - that spring actually helps the pedal come back up.

I believe this is an intertia problem with the existing clutch setup - I don't know the specifics as I havent dug into it.

If you do some reading there seems to be quite a few posts on here & other sites about it.

Think you need to put in a different clutch.??

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakercat View Post
No - I don't think it's the helper spring - that spring actually helps the pedal come back up.
When the pedal is fully depressed the spring helps hold the pedal to the floor.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I removed the spring. While I don't think that was 100% the problem it did seem to help somewhat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
GT Member

You can go with an aftermarket clutch line also as that might help. I recently blew out my clutch. Clutch disk broke and torsional coil springs at one location dislodged. Cost about 1500 dollars with 680 dollars being labor. I put a centerforce dual friction clutch in, along with new oem flywheel, ford racing pilot bearing, and new oem slave cylinder. Well I did also have the mgw shifter arm bushing installed also. The high rpm shifts do not appear to be an issue now and my clutch pedal is softer. However I have not really put the new clutch to the big test yet because still trying to break it in easily and can't afford to replace it again so soon.

With your amount of hp you may want to consider a Mcleod dual disc clutch or equivalent.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
PONY Member

Replace the OEM clutch line for a start. They're complete ****.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
Rookie

Garage
My GT did the same thing. The first thing i did was change the clutch line but that didn't help much it still got stuck to the floor. SoI took the helper spring out and that worked. it stopped getting stuck to the floor.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
When the pedal is fully depressed the spring helps hold the pedal to the floor.
Ack - yes your right Matt ....my Bad ....

I don't know what I was thinking when I put that in....

I know it was an early morning post for me...these aren't my best...

2009 Red C/S, 2014 Blue GT, 1969 Coupe 302
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Just curious...rebel, did you solve your problem?

2012 Mustang GT, Ingot Silver, 6M, 3.73, Brembo.
Whipple 2.9, Flowmaster AT Cat Back 817500.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 05-20-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: addressed wrong member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page