Exhaust slightly more aggressive than gt500 mufflers - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By crjackson2134
  • 3 Post By 5LHO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exhaust slightly more aggressive than gt500 mufflers

Short version: More aggressive sounding (but no/little drone!) than gt500's but not as crazy as outlaws for a GT w/ LTH, o/r xpipe & resonators.

Long version ...

'13 GT Automatic (don't judge!)
BBK LTH
BBK O/R Xpipe (rest of exhaust stock, including resonators except mufflers, see below)
BBK 85mm TB
302 Intake Manifold
Steeda CAI
3.73 Ford Racing gears
Various suspension mods, upgraded wheels, tires, etc.

Before the LTH & o/r xpipe, I had Borla S-types for a while. LOVED them. Best exhaust note out there, swapped them out with FM Outlaws, just because. Great exhaust note but couldn't take the drone after a couple of months. So decided to upgrade the rest of the exhaust with the LTH's and o/r xpipe. Figured at that time, I'll take off the Outlaws and put the S-types back on because I knew it would be way too ridiculously loud with the new mods and outlaws.

So I did this and OMG the S-types without cats were insanely loud at WOT. I mean sounded GREAT but too much. Researched and researched and saw a lot of recommendations on the GT500's. I popped those on and they're ... ok. I mean, not bad but coming from the previous setups a bit too tame for me. Sounds damn near stock imho.

So, what has a more agressive exhaust note than the gt500's that's not obnoxious like the outlaws? I've been eyeballing:

corsa sports
RTR streets
borla touring

and even toying around with the adjustable types like the x-force varex or BBK varitune.

My #1 concern is a drone free cabin or very little drone.

Sorry for the speech, looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Stick with the S-Types
Insanely loud at WOT is awesome. At partial throttle = superb.

2012 Mustang GT, Brembo Pkg, Yellow Blaze Metallic

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
PONY Member

You may want to check out the magnaflow street series mufflers. I'm running a similar setup as you exhaust wise and they sound amazing with headers at WOT. Also very little drone at highway speeds. Check out the video clip I have on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfenkhWfus

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

How many miles on the GT500 mufflers? I ask because they get louder/better over time. I've got about 42K on mine and I think they sound great. I get a lot of compliments on the sound.

2012 Grabber Blue GT Premium, 6MT, 3:31, Brembo, Nav, Comfort pkg, backup camera.
Goodies: GT500 Mufflers, MGW Shifter, DSS AL Driveshaft, Bondra Clutch pedal extension
Tune: Bama 91 Octane V2 Performance Tune
Suspension: Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Yellows, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda UCA - lowered cars, BMR Adj. Panhard bar
Tires: Continental DWS06 275/40-19
Track Days: Bama 93 Octane Race Tune, 18x10 SVE Drifts with Bridgestone RE-11 285/30
Just for show: Raxiom Smoked tail lights
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
OEM GT 500 Quads, sound and look good.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016
GT Member

i have the borla touring. I like them. sounds like that's what you want to.

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewayflyer View Post
How many miles on the GT500 mufflers? I ask because they get louder/better over time. I've got about 42K on mine and I think they sound great. I get a lot of compliments on the sound.
Just put them on a few days ago, maybe 100 miles. I thought there might be a break in period.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
OEM GT 500 Quads, sound and look good.
They don't look good.

They look fantastic!

I'm thinking of passing down my single-tip GT500AB's to the wife's car and getting the Quad setup myself.
CDN5.0 likes this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016
GT Member

...and the automatic is for people that have the confidence to not give a **** what people think and focus on what generally works better, btw.

No mods needed to the auto, unlike the manual that needs shifter mods and rear suspension work just to get organized, right off the showroom floor.

I've had both...I know what I am talking about.

...and I love my GT500s, too

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
PONY Member

I have the automatic in my car and it's the only way I want it. I've never been a big fan of manual transmissions and I don't feel more connected to a car because it has a manual. To me it's more of a pain in the ass driving a manual than it is fun. My fiancee has an 07GT with a manual and I really don't like driving it much.

As far as the exhaust goes, try removing the resonators before you ditch the GT500's. The removal of the resonators give the exhaust a more aggressive tone.

Wayne

2014 GT, Sterling Gray, base model, Automatic
GT500 AB, GT500 OTA pipes
Ford STB
Bob's oil catch can
Ford aluminum finned diff. cover
Ford all weather floor mats
Ford trunk liner and cargo net
Ford locking gas filler plug and wheel locks
PONY Member

Before I switched to the magnaflow street mufflers I had the GT500's with my BBK headers and Lethal over axle pipes (no resonators). I felt that the tone was not deep enough and it made this really annoying popping noise on cold starts. Maybe its true that they need to break in but I got rid of them after less than 1k miles so I can't say. There is no drone with them though that's for sure.

Also in regards to the Automatic, it is by far a superior trans. than the Chinese made MT-82. When I traded in my 2011 V6 I was thinking about going manual but decided to stick with Auto for reliability reasons, plus the added select shift feature for the 13 and 14 models was icing on the cake. Plenty of guys running boosted motors (including myself) with the stock auto trans with no issues. Try doing that with a stock MT-82.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
Rookie

kooks!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
I bought my '14 last fall and it had Outlaws on it - sound awesome hammer down but couldn't live with the drone at cruising revs - switched out to stock GT500's with the valance first thing this spring - love the sound at hammer down but it idles quiet, has a nice burble while driving it and howls at full throttle - plus the quads and the valance look killer.
My recommendation is GT500's - Shelby got it right

My .02 CDN

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page