What Tuner - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What Tuner

I am sure I will get various answers on this...looking for the best, safest and customer service Tuner and where to buy...thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p411mstang View Post
I am sure I will get various answers on this...looking for the best, safest and customer service Tuner and where to buy...thanks
This is going to get good...lol I have been looking around also for my vert from anywhere from a custom local shop for $550 or $800-850 if you do not have a handheld yet To Bama for $149.99. With the mods I have and what I am doing with my car I am leaning towards Bama. I use my Convertible for cruising. Never track it just like getting on it once in a while.

Mine-06 Mustang GT Convertible
Sons-99 Mustang GT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Lund or AED. hands down the best. But if you have a reputable tuner in your area or close driving, I would look into them. Ask other mustang guys or look at online reviews. If not and it'll be an email tune...Lund or AED.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I was thinking getting a BAMA handheld from AM with the 2 tunes and free tunes for life to get started...yea/nah?
jdmeaux likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
Apprentice

Garage
That is what I am doing. I talked to the local tuner and Bama and it really depends on what mods you have whether it will be worth it going to a local Dyno tuner.

Sons-99 Mustang GT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
Apprentice

Garage
With regular bolt-ons, Bama's V2 tunes are fine. Once you get the tune, ask them about data logging and they can fine-tune it to suit your mustang.

Once you start getting more engine mods (forced induction, cams, etc), you'll want to look in to a proper Dyno tune.
jdmeaux and freewayflyer like this.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
Apprentice

Garage
If you are going to do a Dyno tune I would recommend Alternative Auto Performance. Lidio is the guy to talk to.

Sons-99 Mustang GT
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
Rookie

I had a miserable time with Steeda. They gave every excuse in the book for why I didn't receive my retunes. They claimed lost email ... They claimed being backed up for Black Friday even though the request came in the first week in November ... They claimed their techs didn't get the request because their system wasn't communicating properly. After months, I asked for a return authorisation. They didn't want to pay return shipping because they said the product wasn't defective. After much discussion they finally sent a return shipping tag but since I had it delivered to the US and I'm in Canada, I have to drive down again to do the return. When I dealt with Livernois in the past, I would receive my retunes within hours! Good luck if you ever need a retune. Lifetime retunes from Steeda is referring to how long you will wait for the retune!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

All good info! If I start with the Bama handheld and then go supercharger would you stay with bama for a custom tune or go elsewhere?
PONY Member

BAMA for stock or mildly modded cars......custom dyno tuning for forced induction!!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
BAMA for stock or mildly modded cars......custom dyno tuning for forced induction!!
Thanks!
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
read up a bit on Bama, especially within the last year or so. look across all s197 platforms as well. I'm not saying they are bad but there have been lots of unhappy ppl that have their tunes. I have not personally dealt with them so I'm just basing this on what ive read thus far. I am surprised that no one has mentioned Brenspeed. I have their 87,91 and 93 octane tune with all my bolt ons. I have had their tunes for almost 2 years and have had zero problems. ive never had to email or call them once. I have switched to 87 for going on trips, back to 93 when I returned etc. I already had a used SCT 3015 tuner I got used for $150 on CL. don't let the tunes for life sway you on buying anyones tunes. Brenspeed will tune for free if you purchase items from them IIRC. My $.02. good luck
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
read up a bit on Bama, especially within the last year or so. look across all s197 platforms as well. I'm not saying they are bad but there have been lots of unhappy ppl that have their tunes. I have not personally dealt with them so I'm just basing this on what ive read thus far. I am surprised that no one has mentioned Brenspeed. I have their 87,91 and 93 octane tune with all my bolt ons. I have had their tunes for almost 2 years and have had zero problems. ive never had to email or call them once. I have switched to 87 for going on trips, back to 93 when I returned etc. I already had a used SCT 3015 tuner I got used for $150 on CL. don't let the tunes for life sway you on buying anyones tunes. Brenspeed will tune for free if you purchase items from them IIRC. My $.02. good luck
Most people that are unhappy with BAMA tunes have 2015 mustangs. Which they can't actually tune yet. At least last I heard, they didn't even have the proper ECU codes to unlock the ECU.

If you have an S197 and data log after getting your tune, Bama tunes work good.

I've never used Brenspeed, so I have no comment.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
Apprentice

If it were me, I would get a dyno tune. Each engine runs slightly different, and most mail ordered and spec'd tunes are set up for the worst case scenario, so they don't have to worry about your motor blowing. With a dyno tune, the tuner can get real time feed back on what the engine is doing at which rpm, and give you the most power possible while keeping your motor safe. You can probably expect 5% more power through a live dyno tune than through another tuning method.

Carl
Lots of F-Bodys and now...
'12 Sterling Gray 5.0 M6 w/ Brembos, 3.73 gears, Borla S-Type catback, Airaid Intake, dyno tune, and 15% tint
PONY Member

Garage
Lund or AED. I had a Bama tune for one day, on my 2012 5.0, and I wouldn't have them tune my lawn mower. Steeda's tunes were good when Gus was doing their tuning, but I had a bad experience with their tunes after Gus left a couple years ago so I wouldn't use them again. I've had a couple 5.0's, auto and manual, multiple different tuners, and AED is where it's at. If I didn't have an AED tune, I would have a Lund tune.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page