91 tune installed, computer learning? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 5.0 Coyote
  • 1 Post By daustin
  • 1 Post By 5LHO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question 91 tune installed, computer learning?

Just installed a 91 tune in my car, car is all stock besides the 91 tune. Took it out for a drive and it runs great as long as i'm in a good gear or accelerating. Automatic trans. When lugging along down the street in 5th or 6th gear, when I give it gas it pings, detonation until it downshifts and gets the revs up, you guys know what I mean.

Yes I have 91 in the tank. I heard the the computer needs some time to adjust to the new settings. Is that correct???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post
Just installed a 91 tune in my car, car is all stock besides the 91 tune. Took it out for a drive and it runs great as long as i'm in a good gear or accelerating. Automatic trans. When lugging along down the street in 5th or 6th gear, when I give it gas it pings, detonation until it downshifts and gets the revs up, you guys know what I mean.

Yes I have 91 in the tank. I heard the the computer needs some time to adjust to the new settings. Is that correct???
Who made your tune?

You need to communicate this to your tune provider for input. It's likely you'll need to send them a datalog to analyze.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Who made your tune?

You need to communicate this to your tune provider for input. It's likely you'll need to send them a datalog to analyze.
Will do!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016
BOSS Member

get rid of that tune............the mail order "experts" remove the engine software safeguards against that........so that you can and very likely will cause long term engine damage

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

The Coyote does NOT take kindly to pre ignition,I would get that tune removed before driving another mile.
Beechkid likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016
PONY Member

Garage
91 tune installed, computer learning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMartinez View Post

Like others have said, return to stock asap before you blow your motor. Get a good custom tune for your auto. Just hope you didn't already do damage with the knock activity. The tune must have shut your knock sensors off or something for you to be hearing it like that. I wouldn't drive on that tune.

Who wrote your tune? I believe the only tunes I've read about where people heard audible knocking like that were the ford procal and Bama.
Beechkid likes this.

2016 Mustang GT 401a, 6A, Magnetic Metallic, Nav, Shaker Pro, 20" SVE Series 3's, Steeda CAI, Corsa Sports, BMR SP080 Springs, BMR Caster/Camber Plates, JLT Catch Can, Redline Hood Struts.....

2014 Mustang GT 400a, 6M, Recaros, 3.73's, 19" Drifts, electronics/nav., Kooks A/B's, AED Tune /Steeda CAI/BBQ Igniter Tick... SOLD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016
GT Member

The coyote can take a pretty surprising level of advance before getting upset. That's the miracle of modern engine management. If you can hear anything, something's seriously wrong. I ran the Procal for 3 year to 11 sec 1/4s at the track without issues. No signs of ping or anything. I could occasionally hear a touch right around 4k, which is common on coyotes. The engine made maximum allowable compression after three years and over 100 passes at the strip.
wjbertrand likes this.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page