MRT MaxFlow H-Pipe..... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

MRT MaxFlow H-Pipe.....

Have any of you tried one of these in place of stock...if so is there any real advantage...sound....power??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 05-08-16 at 09.39 AM.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	516882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

No but catless will gain more rwhp and will be louder unless you have emissions. But almost all brand name catted H or X pipes will work. Axle backs are for sound vs rwhp.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have MagnaFlow Axle-Backs and they sound GREAT but a little louder would be nice......wish I could find SS resonator delete pipes but I have not found any that connect like OEM!!
May just leave it like it is......sounds nice..... DEEP and mellow!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

MRT MaxFlow H-Pipe.....

Mid pipes be it X or H, catted or non will add some hp but not enough to blow the guy away who has a stock midpipe. It might even end in a tie or a close 2nd. However they do add a more "aggressive" sound. The hp difference between an H and and X is negligible, the main difference between the two is the sound they make. The H will tend to have more of a 60-70's esq "muscle car" sound. An X sounds more similar to a v8 import. The cat backs will add no power but they'll add sound. The non chambered mufflers like magnaflow will also give a pseudo v8 import sound but they're easier to live with. They tend to have a quieter idle and less hwy drone. The higher the rpm's the louder and raspier they get. The chambered mufflers like flowmaster etc, sound more towards the "old school" musclecar w a louder and more rumbly idle. The exhaust note at hwy cruising speeds can get old. My one and only cat-less midpipe experience stunk, literally. The cabin smelled like a gas pump. I added cats to the o/r x pipe and it no longer stunk and it was a little quieter but I didn't notice any decrease in performance.
If you're looking for a fairly substantial in hp in the exhaust dept long tube headers are where it's at but they come w their own can of worms as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I am aware of the sound differences between H and X pipes but wondered about the high flow cats........not after more power but a bit more rumble with the MagnaFlows!!
Wish MagnaFlow had the resonator delete over axle pipes to install with my mufflers but they have slip joints at the mufflers instead of ball & socket joints in their "Cat Back" kit!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If you want more rumble/louder then you go catless. A high flow cat H or X won't make that much more rumble.
The X to H and sound is different between each car, what exhaust you have and so on. I've had H pipes on old school 5.0's, 4.6's and so on and they gave a nice rumble. X on certain cars and some gave a rasp and some sounded like an H pipe. Like the BBK X on my 03 Cobra...had rasp and hated it. Swapped for an Bassani X pipe and zero rasp and didn't sound like an import V8.
My car now had lethal X with ATAK axle backs but stock cats. Sounded like a nice V8 with rumble. Took the cats off and now it's louder but with a rasp at times or when its cold. Going with the 11-12 GT500 axle back to see what it sounds like. Though once I get my BMR K member, I have longtubes and shorty X to install too.
Power between the two it minimal. Usually 1-3HP. But from everything I read/saw and how my car felt after catless, makes it worth it. If you can. Are you going to blow every door off of another mustang or Camaro...no. but every little belt helps to nudge them out.

but to answer the question on high flow cats....resonator delete would make it louder, if you can't or don't want to go catless.

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Nobody make a SS resonator delete pipe kit that installs like OEM pipes......except Pypes and according to what I've read they are aluminized steel and fitment is a nightmare!!
Still thinking about it......thanks for all your input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page