Kooks Header Gaskets any good? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Kooks Header Gaskets any good?

Just ordered a set of Kooks 1-7/8" long tubes ceramic coated from Maryland Speed and was wondering if the gaskets that come with them are any good. I know when I had my BBK headers installed everyone said that the OEM gaskets were better, wondering if this is the case with Kooks as well. I just want to avoid any potential headaches and do it right the first time.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

Lots of suspension goodies and some other stuff I can't remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Also planning on doing a before and after dyno so I can see if there is anything to be gained by switching to a larger header. I know from research on the interweb that I probably wont gain much but every motor is different. The main reason I am upgrading is for longevity because Kooks is all 304 SS and BBK is, well, idk, the midpipe is aluminized steel and they don't say what their headers are made out of. However I have not had any issues with their 1-3/4" ceramic long tubes and would recommend them to anyone on a budget. Just don't use the o2 extensions on the front o2 sensors, many people have run into CELs or worse because of it.

2014 Mustang GT 6R80, Procharger Stage 2 D1SC, BBK 85mm TB, Boss IM, Sai Li fuel system. Circle D 3C, 1-7/8" Kooks Long Tubes w/Offroad X Pipe, Lethal Over-Axle Pipes, Corsa Quad Axle-Back, Eibach Pro System Plus, BMR K member, Shaftmasters DS, Forgestar CF-5 Wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. Lund Tuned

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016
GT Member

They may be better than stock. However, I had the Kooks installed and I have not had any problems with the gaskets. Some of the fasteners did loosen up once and had an exhaust leak and I think one of the fasteners worked all the way out and was missing. But I took the car in and had everything tightened up and drove it another 500 miles or so and had them double check everything was tight. No problems since and it has been 2 or 3 years since then.

Make sure you use the proper fasteners as my Kooks came with 2 different set of fasteners with different threads.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Good to know. I have heard that the new header gaskets they provide are similar to OEM, and the complaints about their gaskets were from an earlier design. Yea I will make sure the correct header bolts are used. Kinda strange that Ford switched the thread pattern after 2011. I'm guessing maybe the newer thread pitch is less likely to loosen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page