Ticking noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ticking noise

I just bought a 2013 mustang gt 2 days ago. It has 29,500 miles on it and I'm experiencing a ticking noise. It sounds like it's the belt and it also sounds like it could be a lifter or something. I seen a couple topics on it but has anyone got an answer back on what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
The belt don't tick, it knocks,

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman601 View Post
I just bought a 2013 mustang gt 2 days ago. It has 29,500 miles on it and I'm experiencing a ticking noise. It sounds like it's the belt and it also sounds like it could be a lifter or something. I seen a couple topics on it but has anyone got an answer back on what the problem could be?
Try putting the small bottle of Hyper Lube in your oil,I bet your tick will go away,I use it in my 2011 GT every oil change $ 20.00 but well spent,and quiet engine.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016
GT Member

look at tsb 12-8-14 and see if you think it fits the description

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb12-08-14.pdf

2014 Black 5.0 Track Pack with to many mods.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

OK thanks alot I will try that out and see if that works
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman601 View Post
OK thanks alot I will try that out and see if that works
Please post your results--- Thank"s
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Lifter ticking in the 4.6 and 5.0 multi-valve Ford engines is an option. It comes with the Orange Peel Paint decor group.

I simply jump from the 05-20 oil up to 10-30 synthetic. Zero tick any more. Of course this is supposed to effect fuel milage but I drive in the Sub-Tropics so the higher heat load I have here compensates for the 30 weight as far as the imagined higher viscosity load.

NOBODY drives in the "Normal" oil use conditions.

EVERYBODY drives in some sort of "Extreme" condition often enough to justify moving to the heavier oil.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016
Apprentice

5w-30 royal purple and a bottle of hyper lube, are providing good results so far in my car.

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Anything one does to get away from the stupid 5/w20 oil is a good thing. Here in central Florida temps rarely fall below 50 in the winter. Winter daytime temps average 70 deg. Winter is only 2 1/2 months long. The rest is summer with the average daily high temp hitting 92. This fits into the "Extreme use" category as far as I'm concerned.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I use Mobil 1 5W30,& Hyper Lube,NO engine noise ever,did this after my first 500 mile break in.
GT Member

well everyone is using a different oil so its obviously not an oil issue. I still think its the ac belt. ill find out on Monday.

Apprentice

The infomis 5.0 V8 tick! There seems to be lots of opinion on what it is and I am sure Ford knows what it is but Ford is not telling us for some reason? Personally I think Ford is not telling us for fear that way to many 5.0 truck and Mustang owners that have the tick will want a new motor under warranty and there are many with the tick. There are many questions as to how the tick affects longevity? I did talk to a Ford 5.0 truck owner who has 95,000 miles on his truck a few months back who told me his truck has ticked since the day he purchased it and he chose to ignore it.

As for motor oil there does not seem to be any increase in 5.0 engine failures running 5w20 over 5w30 weight oil or that's what my research seems to show. Although I was never a 5w20 oil fan to begin with I much prefer to run 5w30 Mobil 1 in my 2013 5.0 although I have no tick running either weight oil. All I can say is if the Mustang was sold in Australia (maybe it is I don't know?) I would almost guarantee that 5w20 weight oil would not even be listed as recommended in the manual you would most likely see 5w30/5w40/5w50.
Apprentice

certainly with many forums and many more threads Ford has determined the cause. And it is ashamed they won't tell us. Just on this site alone we have at least 6 threads indicating they have replaced engines. They know..... I am certain, True/ False or combination of both they know. Mine is a very early 2013 model (think May of 2012) and so far so good but low miles, only 16,000 or so.

2013 gt premium m6 3.73 with lots of aftermarket bits

GT Member

I had this tick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hga9tZMtN0g not my car but that's the exact sound it made. I just installed that 12-8-14 tsb ac tensioner pulley system today. I haven't heard the tick anymore yet. ill drive it a lot tomorrow but as of now that tsb fixed my tick sound.

edit: just drove 110 miles. still no tick after the tsb. (I did the tsb myself in about 20 min)

Last edited by Blackpenguin69; 05-23-2016 at 11:05 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 34 Minutes Ago
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpenguin69 View Post
I had this tick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hga9tZMtN0g not my car but that's the exact sound it made. I just installed that 12-8-14 tsb ac tensioner pulley system today. I haven't heard the tick anymore yet. ill drive it a lot tomorrow but as of now that tsb fixed my tick sound.

edit: just drove 110 miles. still no tick after the tsb. (I did the tsb myself in about 20 min)
What year is your Mustang? Did you have to replace the timing cover? I have a May 2010 engine build, so my timing cover isn't plumbed for the TSB. Looking at $322 in just parts. I also read the where the TSB says the computer needs to be tuned as well. Did you do all that at home?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page