Heater constantly blowing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Heater constantly blowing

OK I have an issue with my car that the dealer either refuses to acknowledge or it's doing one of those things where it doesn't happen because you're trying to fix it. I'm betting the former.

Anyway, couple of questions.

How hot is the transmission housing supposed to get under normal driving conditions around town?

This is NOT an automatic, but a manual shift.

The heat is constantly blowing warm air. This has been doing this from the day I bought the car and I thought nothing of it chalking it up to the trans housing. Until last week. Last week there was some condensation on the windshield and when I turned on the ignition, quite a forceful of air was coming out of the defroster vents in the dash. This was the first time this happened.

FACT (which the dealer disputes): all systems were turned off. Always upon shutdown. It's an ingrained habit since I learned to drive.

I decided this is an issue now because the air coming from the system never stops coming from the defroster vents in the dash even if I set it to floor only. It started doing this about a month ago.

He puts the car on his little machine and says there is nothing wrong except that my middle vents were all turned off. The little louvers is what he's describing.

WRONG.

Those louvers being shut would not force the air to the dash when the system is TURNED OFF.

He also could have just used his hand instead of relying on a gadget and THEN went to his gadgets to help diagnose the issue.

I'm thinking small vacuum leak somewhere?

P.S. - I know for a fact those were not turned off because the day before I had to wait for someone while in the car and it was hot. I had the AC on with the two driver vents pointing in my face. When I started the car to take it back home, let it warm up a second and turn on the AC, those vents were in the EXACT same position and were OPEN as I had them when I dropped it off. (there is no way those tall mechanics could open shut vents and point them to the exact same spots as I had them as I am much, much shorter than them)

NOW to the TRANS housing:

How hot is that thing supposed to get? Saturday was pretty warm here but I was driving around town with no AC on. Having to ignore the hot gusts of air coming from the floor, if I set my leg on that carpet to my right against the housing, it's pretty damn hot. This should not get that hot for half an hour or so of driving around town. Should it? If that were not carpet and instead vinyl, it would be a bit soft and melt-y.

All my trucks were manual trans and I do not recall such heat coming up from the housing inside the trucks, but I'm not so sure since it's a different "animal" here. I did have an Alfa Romeo back in '80 that never had such heat coming out though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I've seen a handful of threads with folks having the auto-climate system have them randomly come on. In fact on my last cruise on of the drivers complained he had the last bit with full heat/defrost on that only went away after shutting the car off.

my MT gets rather warm in fact w/o carpet it would prob be described as hot.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I've seen a handful of threads with folks having the auto-climate system have them randomly come on. In fact on my last cruise on of the drivers complained he had the last bit with full heat/defrost on that only went away after shutting the car off.
Interesting. Mine is constantly on though. The desk jockey at Ford told me to turn the AC on. seriously? I always thought it was odd that this is the only car I ever owned that I rarely need to use the heater in the winter. I use it to get the initial cold out of the cabin and then shut it off and to defrost a foggy window. Other than that, that car stays warm enough without the heat.

What was their solution? Got a link to the thread/s? I'm going to try a search and see what comes up too. I'm only asking for a link because you remember this issue and might know a 'good one'.

Quote:
my MT gets rather warm in fact w/o carpet it would prob be described as hot.
Hot enough to brew tea?
I have a phone holder that bolts to the passenger seat footing. This is on a long stick and there is enough room for me to keep a bottle of water sitting between the seat and that stick. The regular cup holders are useless to me because if I use them, I can't position my arm to shift comfortably. That area is directly under the shifter if you draw a line. Pretty far back IMO from the bell part of the housing. Half hour / 45 mins of driving literally made that water hot enough to brew tea if I put a bag in there.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Hey guys,where your getting all that HEAT from is the (2) cats run down each side of the tunnel and they produce a LOT of heat.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

find someone with a similar car to compare temps but w/o seeing it I'll say "Normal"

if you always get heat and your dealers says turn on the A/C find another dealer for service (unless you want to give them another chance) I don't really drive mine much in the winter but the heat is excellent and it starts producing heat by the end of my loooong driveway.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
Hey guys,where your getting all that HEAT from is the (2) cats run down each side of the tunnel and they produce a LOT of heat.
That makes sense. I was thinking it may be the exhaust or even the issue I'm having with the heat constantly being on routing close to the housing since that heat blower is like right there. I just am not convinced that the heater makes that much heat.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
find someone with a similar car to compare temps but w/o seeing it I'll say "Normal"

if you always get heat and your dealers says turn on the A/C find another dealer for service (unless you want to give them another chance) I don't really drive mine much in the winter but the heat is excellent and it starts producing heat by the end of my loooong driveway.
I'm going to pick my private mechanic's brain in a little bit when his morning craziness dies down. I trust him with everything on this car but I just can't afford to pay for work that is covered by warranty and skip the dealer completely. He's very respected by all who know him.

Once I talk to him on this I'm going back to the dealer bitching like mad and if I get grief, i'm going to switch because there is no excuse for this. I think a good chunk of the grief at the dealer is sheer chauvinism. Surely a woman has no clue. Right?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
Apprentice

Garage
I have a similar issue to this that I chalked up to normal because it's done it since day 1. I always get air through my floor vents, but during warmer days the hot air really starts to suck the energy out of me.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

I did an AC delete but I didn't remove anything out of the firewall. I just cut the coolant tubes off at the firewall and left them.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

remember the wtty is from Ford, not the seller. You don't have to bring it where ya got it. 5.0 Coyote's mention of cats is a good call. Those things get hot real quick and that is where there are located.

ya might want to try different dress when going to the dealer...the right outfit will make him take notice

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Just talked to my mechanic and he was quite helpful. He told me to get a temperature gauge and actually measure the temps. Then I should write to Ford customer service and then hound them until I get an authorization for repair and take to the dealer. He said they all try to shirk their responsibility.

He did say the cats could be causing the issue of excessive heat but using an actual temperature gauge will let him know better.

As for the heater, I'm telling you this guy is good! I told him the defroster is not disengaging from the floor when changing locations and he said without hesitation it's the "MODE" setting that is off.
As for the heat always being "on" - he said all newer cars always have some kind of blower going these days but any air blowing without the system actually turned on should be coming through the floor only, unless they changed something.

His recommendation is to write to Ford customer service with a detailed description of each issue (after I get that temp reading) and they should respond with an authorization for repair to take to the dealer. The word filter on here will not allow me to repeat what he said about dealer service departments!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:

ya might want to try different dress when going to the dealer...the right outfit will make him take notice
I'll try that next time! I thought yoga pants were good though.
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchin Kitten View Post
*SNIP*
he said all newer cars always have some kind of blower going these days but any air blowing without the system actually turned on should be coming through the floor only, unless they changed something.
This is exactly what I am experiencing. At least I know now it's normal for newer cars?

A bit unfortunate. But I can live with it.

'07 Mustang GT Premium
FRPP camshafts, C&L Racer, AED dyno tune, 4.10s, BBK tuned shorties, MAC Pro Chamber, SVE axlebacks, SR springs, Eibach struts and dampers, Subframe connectors, Eibach front and rear sway bars, BMR Adjustable panhard, J&M AUCA & LCA, Camber plates, CMDP, BBK UDPs, Exedy LW flywheel and stage 2 clutch, Hurst short throw shifter, SS brake lines, Window louvers, CDC Shaker scoop, custom hood paint and rear decklid paint. S197 Mach 1 replica?
Rookie

My wife's Cruze always has a very low breeze of cold air coming through, I thought I was imagining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
My wife's Cruze always has a very low breeze of cold air coming through, I thought I was imagining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a Cruze. Where as the mustang blocks out outside air when the HVAC is off, the Cruze leaves the outside air door open when the system is off if you don't press recycle so the force of the air when you're driving down the road makes its way in. You should be able to change the temperature of the air by leaving the HVAC off and moving he temp knob.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Race Red V6 Premium 6M w/ pony package. Borla ATAK Exhaust - Otherwise stock...for now.
Rookie

mine does this too, I thought I was going crazy as well. On mine even when the ac is on, down by the floor will still be warm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page