Considering brake fluid flush - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I just helped to bleed my son's Acura TL with Brembos and was surprised to find out that the sequence was almost as NoVa says:
LFO
LFI
RFO
RFI
LR
RR

Not sure why that is but we followed that sequence with no issues.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusman59 View Post
The factory service manual calls for this sequence. With the conventional brake system it says to bleed like its been done for years.

RR
LR
RF
LF

I know sometimes there is a better way to things but Ford took the time to come up with this.
Make sure that you're reading Ford's procedure for the Brembo brakes, otherwise described as GT500 brakes or brakes for cars equipped with the 5.4L engine.

The 4-piston Brembo front calipers are entirely different from the 2-piston calipers used on "lesser" models/trims.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Make sure that you're reading Ford's procedure for the Brembo brakes, otherwise described as GT500 brakes or brakes for cars equipped with the 5.4L engine.

The 4-piston Brembo front calipers are entirely different from the 2-piston calipers used on "lesser" models/trims.

Norm
Thanks Norm. I double checked after you brought this to my attention and the manual says vehicles with 4 piston calibers.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
And back to the OP -- what makes you think you have to worry about boiling the fluid? That pretty much never happens under normal street driving conditions. You have to try pretty hard on a track to get things hot enough to boil the fluid -- meaning multiple repeated hard stops from high speed (like 100+). Even Arizona heat during street driving is nowhere near close to this.
I don't track my car but I do drive in the mountain and canyon areas where the speed limit is 75mph. Today its going to be 114f and tomorrow 115f. The temps on the roadways run even hotter. Our expressways do come to abrupt stop with lots of stop and go. I agree with your input normal street driving but with older fluid I think its a precaution to have fresh high end fluid.

2011 Red Candy /build 2/1/11/ 401A
MT with Redline MTL/ Brembos/355's/glass roof
Shaker 1000/Scoops/Clear bra/Steeda UCA and PH bar
Redline hood lifts/Bilsteins with Ford Racing P springs & axle bks
UPR catch can/whiteline kdt928/MGW shifter with Epco ball
Shaftmasters DS/BMR loop & relocation brackets
Nitto 555 G2's/Steeda jack rails
PONY Member

I assure everyone, the normal idea of bleeding the brake furthest from the master-cylinder doesn't work with the Brembo brakes.

Believe me, I learned the hard way.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I would go to your auto parts store and get a dip test kit,that will tell you the condition of your brake fluid.I have an early build 2011 GT with 19,000 miles on it,I just tested mine before I had the cooling system totally flushed by Ford,and my BRAKE FLUID was perfect,I was a mechanic for 35+ years,some things need to be done by the book, and some are way to unnecessary. Just my $02.
Just reposting this as the dip test kit for brake fluid should be testing for water concentration which I believe he was trying to imply. In brake fluid it should not be over 4%. And contrary to what has been stated in other posts, the reason isn't to prevent "boiling" your brake fluid which will almost never happen on the street. The water absorbed into the brake fluid will cause corrosion / rust from the inside out which will cause component failure and leakage. This is why many manufacturers are stating 2 year intervals as mileage doesn't affect this. But where you live (humidity index) does, and the dip test will show if its needed or not. When I lived in SoCal I flushed my brakes almost annually as I lived near the beach. Now living in ID I haven't done it in 4 years.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
What happened? What did you learn?

It's always worked just fine for me.
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by candersen View Post
Just reposting this as the dip test kit for brake fluid should be testing for water concentration which I believe he was trying to imply. In brake fluid it should not be over 4%. And contrary to what has been stated in other posts, the reason isn't to prevent "boiling" your brake fluid which will almost never happen on the street. The water absorbed into the brake fluid will cause corrosion / rust from the inside out which will cause component failure and leakage. This is why many manufacturers are stating 2 year intervals as mileage doesn't affect this. But where you live (humidity index) does, and the dip test will show if its needed or not. When I lived in SoCal I flushed my brakes almost annually as I lived near the beach. Now living in ID I haven't done it in 4 years.
Those of us who track our cars are going to think of fluid boiling before system decay from internal corrosion. Just saying . . .

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
I assure everyone, the normal idea of bleeding the brake furthest from the master-cylinder doesn't work with the Brembo brakes.

I would like to hear more about this also.

I know I am going against the "conventional wisdom" but it makes more sense to me to work the old fluid away from the reservoir -- so that would mean closest first; and do the inside first; which is the sequence posted earlier in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candersen View Post
. . . the reason isn't to prevent "boiling" your brake fluid which will almost never happen on the street. The water absorbed into the brake fluid will cause corrosion / rust from the inside out which will cause component failure and leakage. This is why many manufacturers are stating 2 year intervals as mileage doesn't affect this. . . . .
That sounds like another reason to use the normal DOT3 fluid, unless you have a strong reason to use the DOT4

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page