Ford Mustang Forum banner

Torque converter w/already upgraded gears

992 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  5LHO 
#1 ·
Hi, so in my noobness, I went 3.73's in my '13 auto GT. Realizing I prolly should have gone the torque converter route with stock gears, should I replace the 3.73's with stock or go with a different ratio, like 3.55's? Or will I just lose any additional benefit with 3.73's other than maybe some top end?

I still have the oem gears...

On a slightly related note, while I have the tranny dropped, should I be considering other upgrades? I think a hardened output (or is that input?) shaft is a must...

Thanks.

#2 ·
There is such a minor difference between 3.55 and 3.73, it would be a waste of time and money to play with your gears any more until you are at a point that you are min/maxing your setup.

Why are you considering changing back to stock?

#6 ·
You will likely have issues hooking up if you go 3.73 with a Torque Converter. There have been several threads on here about how the autos really don't need a gear swap because anything more than 3.55 will make first gear unusable. The auto has a really steep 1st gear and with the stock rear gears it is comparable to a manual with 3.55. I would put the stock gears back in or go 3.31, as that is supposed to be the best rear gears for the 1/4 mile.

#7 ·
While I totally agree that there is no need for steeper gears with a TC equipped auto and you'll probably boil tires as hard as a Hellcat with them both in there, they are already installed so, see if you like how it feels, then swap if needed. Stock the 3.15 and the 4:17 first in the auto make for about the same overall gearing as my old 3.73 MT82 car. First was FAR more useless on that car, bc of how tricky launching a steep geared stick car on the street can be. The auto will walk it 8 times out of ten because traction is limited, the torque converter is super tight, it's got torque multiplication from the TC and it's point and shoot.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.