Acceleration Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Howdy folks! I got myself back into a 2011 with 32k miles on it last weekend. I've got the MT-82 with the factory 3.55 LSD. I'm having an issue with what I could best describe as stuttering under light acceleration. It doesn't seem to be engine related though as best I can tell from watching the tach. I don't have a tuner yet to run a data log. The stutter almost feels like a miss, but she's not throwing any CELs and with the consistency, I would expect it to. I most notice it from the butt dyno feeling like it just loses power for a split second and does it every few seconds. I've noticed no difference between it being cold or operating temp. I have pulled and cleaned the MAF and TB with no change. The dealer gave me a tank of 93 (I pumped it) and I've since filled it up with another tank of 93 from a different gas station and added a bottle of Lucas Deep Clean. Just seeing what ideas everyone has.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160806_231714.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	530930  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016
GT Member

Pull the plugs and have a look. Also look for any post maf air leaks from the airbox to the throttle body. Make sure the PCV valves are connected at both cam covers and the intake.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

One of your coils could also be bad,also check the plug connection to each coil to make sure they are plugged in tight.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016
GT Member

Unlikely under light acceleration. Lots of timing advance in and low load. It would be showing misfire codes if this is the problem. Worth getting the codes dropped at your local Auto parts store anyway.

2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto tune, 100 shot on BBR tune, best et: 11.38 at 120.85

2012 GT, Candy Red, Brembo, 3.73, Tech, Comfort, etc. Procal tune, Roush upper, UMI LCAs, Steeda red bracket, GT500s, 28X10X16 Hoosier slicks, best et: 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Unlikely under light acceleration. Lots of timing advance in and low load. It would be showing misfire codes if this is the problem. Worth getting the codes dropped at your local Auto parts store anyway.
I have a code reader and have nothing pending or set. I'll comb over your recommendations and post back.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Everything checked out with the tubing. Here's the plugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160807_200858.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	531098  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
So I'm still having this problem. I changed the plugs because they needed it anyways. I pulled the COPs tonight and threw my multimeter on them with all of them checking out. I did the old "shade tree" test with a spark tester and all the coils are producing a strong spark. I Seafoam treated the gas with about a 4 oz of Seafoam to 1 gallon of gas ratio to clean the injectors and run through another tank of gas since. I also ran a can of Seafoam through the brake booster line. It consistently feels like a miss but the PCM is not registering it as one. I've pulled diagnostics using FORscan with nothing showing up. I'm kind of at a loss here.

I tried getting the local dealer to take a look and the idiot they assigned to the car said he "couldn't replicate the issue." Go figure. I went back up to take him for a ride and point it out. The probably was blatantly obvious before we even got out the parking lot with the tech saying something about it before I pointed it out. He used IDS and "couldn't find any issues." There were some miles added to the odometer so the guy did take the car for a drive but I'm thinking he might have just been hot-rodding it. Needless to say, I won't be going back. I've been looking for five years to find a decent shop around my house and I'm still looking. Hence the reason I tend to do my own work and wait until I'm at my whits end to take it somewhere.

Arrest Me Red 2011 GT Premium
Six-pot Brembo upgrade; GT500 rear brake upgrade; Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars; Whiteline adjustable panhard bar; BMR rear LCAs and relocation brackets; Eibach Pro springs; Koni STR.T struts and shocks; Eibach cam bolts; Legato axle-backs; Forgestar Matte Black CF5s - 19x9/19x11; Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016
Rookie

Garage
have you tired turning off the TCS and just seeing if your feeling that?
mine does seem to be felt like this especially in the morning when TCS is on even taking off fairly easy the first few times some days it has the same miss feeling.

just thought I'd ask.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm watching this thread with great interest too. My Lincoln has the same symptoms and the local dealer can't figure it out. I've even rebuilt the engine (well, the Ford dealer did, but not because of this issue. A valve broke and caused even more damage) and this proble persists.

I'm guessing it's a fuel delivery issue or a marginal sensor and/or connection. I'm in no great hurry, but I may end up taking it to another dealer.

Keep us posted...

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyraven79 View Post
have you tired turning off the TCS and just seeing if your feeling that?
mine does seem to be felt like this especially in the morning when TCS is on even taking off fairly easy the first few times some days it has the same miss feeling.

just thought I'd ask.
I tried completely turning off AdvanceTrac (well, using the button to turn it off) with no change. I have FORscan so I reset the ABS and PCM modules tonight to see if it'll make a difference, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I'm watching this thread with great interest too. My Lincoln has the same symptoms and the local dealer can't figure it out. I've even rebuilt the engine (well, the Ford dealer did, but not because of this issue. A valve broke and caused even more damage) and this proble persists.

I'm guessing it's a fuel delivery issue or a marginal sensor and/or connection. I'm in no great hurry, but I may end up taking it to another dealer.

Keep us posted...
Fuel delivery is my next step, but I'm not sure what to do since I have no way to bench test the injectors and don't have the time to pull them and take them to a shop since it's my DD. Just flat out replacing them isn't really an option either since I'd rather put money into an MGW shifter before replacing possibly good injectors.

Also to add to the list is that I've changed the diff to Amsoil Sever Gear and the tranny fluid to the Amsoil cocktail with no help, not that I expected it from either of those.

Arrest Me Red 2011 GT Premium
Six-pot Brembo upgrade; GT500 rear brake upgrade; Whiteline adjustable front and rear sway bars; Whiteline adjustable panhard bar; BMR rear LCAs and relocation brackets; Eibach Pro springs; Koni STR.T struts and shocks; Eibach cam bolts; Legato axle-backs; Forgestar Matte Black CF5s - 19x9/19x11; Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Rookie

I would be wondering why your car needed new plugs @ 32k miles? Mine is @ 52k with no need for plugs.

crjackson2134 , how did your valve break? .. just random(I hope not)? Thanks.

2011 GT Vert
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011_gt View Post
I would be wondering why your car needed new plugs @ 32k miles? Mine is @ 52k with no need for plugs.

crjackson2134 , how did your valve break? .. just random(I hope not)? Thanks.
Yup, just random...it happened on a cold start, on a warm day.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011_gt View Post
My guess would be from it bouncing around auctions (went through three or four) and sitting on dealer lots. A lot of short range driving leading to buildup.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
My 14 developed a stutter when it was cold - turned out to be bad fuel but one full tank of Shell 91 fixed it so I'm thinking MAF or an air leak behind it? Causing mid reads by the computer? Is it light throttle or all the time? Does it do it at WOT?

Just my .02 CDN

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Rookie

Have you checked your oil level?

2016 Performance Package, Triple Yellow, base GT. Plush, luxurious floor mats. Bama 93R V2 tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page