GT500 vs. Stock Mufflers - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mine had a set of flowmaster outlaws on it when I bought it and yes they sounded awesome but loud all the time and the drone on the highway in and around 2K rpm was impossible to live with - GT500 Quads fixed all that.....so maybe they are getting louder 20K Km's later but from what it was like it's perfect......I can even hear the heater fan....lol

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
I really like the stock note but I hate the 2k rpm drone. If I knew for sure that replacing them with another stock set would fix the drone, I'd spring in a second!
Well I did it! Just before going to bed Monday night I checked my email and had the usual emailing from American Muscle. It was one of those "The black Friday sale has been extended to Monday at midnight........". So I thought I'd check on the GT500 mufflers. The rest is history. I liked the deal so now they're headed my way. Three beers had softened me up also.....

I'll let you know how I like them. THEY HAD BETTER NOT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST HINT OF THAT DAM 2K RPM DRONE!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

You will love them. No drone at all at any RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune

BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Well I did it! Just before going to bed Monday night I checked my email and had the usual emailing from American Muscle. It was one of those "The black Friday sale has been extended to Monday at midnight........". So I thought I'd check on the GT500 mufflers. The rest is history. I liked the deal so now they're headed my way. Three beers had softened me up also.....

I'll let you know how I like them. THEY HAD BETTER NOT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST HINT OF THAT DAM 2K RPM DRONE!
In 4 months you will be putting the stockers back on.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
Rookie

Garage
Are there part numbers for the GT500 cans vs stock cans? When I was shopping for my stang I drove about 5 before finding the right car for me. The thing is that all the other cars had a similar sound and then when I got in the car that would come to be my baby, it just sounded mean. The other 5 sounded good but this one was mean. They are ford mufflers and look identicle to the other cars mufflers even when side by side. The only thing I did not check was a part number. or is there a way of telling why the stang I bought is different. Hopefully im not highjacking the tread. I want to find out what I have because I too want one notch up, but keep it respectable noise wise.

2014 black on black stock (for now) Mustang GT 6 sp
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I don't have the part number handy but one way to tell is to look at the tips. GT500 tips are not rolled. Stock tips are rolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
Yes to the GT500 cans! I love the sound of mine; great balance between a sound that isn't too loud, but it sounds great when you get on it!

Exactly. Sounds like an old school hot rod when you get on the gas. Zero drone at any speed and lots of burbles and pops on decel. I got mine two and a half years ago for $250 and painted the rears black so the cans don't show, just the big shiny 4" tips. Perfect for me!

1993 Reef blue coupe/5-speed : 3 chamber Flowmasters, 3.73 rear gear, cobra clutch, K&N air filter, currently in resto-mode. 2014 Black GT/6-speed: 3.73/Brembo package, GT 500 axle backs, Sickspeed black shift ball with red pattern, SRS black fuel door, red script Hurst floor mats, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, red Ford Racing seat belt pads, red pin striping in strategic locations. Street Scenes Gen. 2 chin spoiler, painted.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14BLKBullitt View Post
...and lots of burbles and pops on decel.
I truly hope that's not the case with mine. I'll pull them off if they do that....

BOSS Member

Garage
The OEM GT500 quads are the best, I know they are expensive and it requires cutting the rear fascia but it's sounds and looks so good. I have gone through a bunch
of axle backs on the two 5.0 cars that I've owned and the buck stops here.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Quote:
I truly hope that's not the case with mine. I'll pull them off if they do that....
I have a friend with Roush,A/B on one of her Mustangs, and GT 500 on the other Mustang,BOTH exhaust is STOCK, except for the A/B mufflers,and they both gurgle, bergle and pop on decell. If you don"t want that sound, save yourself the headache and return them and keep your stock system.I have Pype Bombs A/B on my 2011 GT,loud,Drone and gurgle bergle and pop on decell, and loud bark on throttle, but I love that V8 sound.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I have a friend with Roush,A/B on one of her Mustangs, and GT 500 on the other Mustang,BOTH exhaust is STOCK, except for the A/B mufflers,and they both gurgle, bergle and pop on decell. If you don"t want that sound, save yourself the headache and return them and keep your stock system.I have Pype Bombs A/B on my 2011 GT,loud,Drone and gurgle bergle and pop on decell, and loud bark on throttle, but I love that V8 sound.
See post #19.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Rookie

Garage
Mine are rolled tips.... Thanks guys! I am still in the learning curve on where I am with this car and where I want to be. I have only had it 2 months and now had to put it away for the winter. I have never looked so forward to spring!!!

2014 black on black stock (for now) Mustang GT 6 sp
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
See post #19.
OK OK dammit! I am going to put them on. Then I'll choose whichever annoys me the least: that lousy 2k rpm drone with an accompanying harmonic at lower rpms that I currently tolerate OR gurgling and popping upon decel. If'n all else is OK with the 500s I might be able to tolerate the gurgles. If worse comes to worse, I can always slip into neutral when I decel!!!

BTW do you gurgle/pop lovers have the standard tranny?

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
in 4 months you will be putting the stockers back on.
not!

Tom.......
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOGT302 View Post
not!
This is about Okie Hick not the mufflers.

Last edited by Thereaper; 12-02-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page