GT500 vs. Stock Mufflers - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
I truly hope that's not the case with mine. I'll pull them off if they do that....
I don't know for sure but I believe mine does that because when I had my GT500's installed, I also had the resonators removed and replaced by a length of exhaust pipe. I rather like the burbles and pops; they aren't too loud or obnoxious and it gives it a little bit of a race car sound.

2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual
Major Mods:
ProCharger P-1SC-1 Stage II, MGW Race Spec Shifter, Eibach Sportline Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
They do it with the resonators still in place too, but it's VERY mild and shouldn't bother anyone.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
They do it with the resonators still in place too, but it's VERY mild and shouldn't bother anyone.
Well I can tolerate a little bit I suppose. If it's subtle, it'll be nice. We'll see. It's gotta be less annoying than the drone.

OH BTW they came tonight! I opened the boxes to check for damage. The box has FORD RACING on it and the tips are not rolled, so I have the real deal. I can't put them on tomorrow and I'll be headed to St. Louis on Sunday for the week. Maybe next weekend.
crjackson2134 likes this.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)

PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Okie trust me when I say after a bit you'll be dropping a gear just to make them pop and gurgle - it's addictive and yes there is no drone at 2K

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
PONY Member

With the standard set of ramps and the right tools, can one person do the installation? I asked my local muffler shop how much he'd charge to do it. He said $60. That might be my Friday "fun" project.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN5.0 View Post
Okie trust me when I say after a bit you'll be dropping a gear just to make them pop and gurgle - it's addictive and yes there is no drone at 2K

Scott
My car does a really nice gear drop upon decel when the tranny is in "S". I'm kinda looking forward to it.

BOSS Member

Garage
Pay the $60 bucks you won't regret it.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
My car does a really nice gear drop upon decel when the tranny is in "S". I'm kinda looking forward to it.
Make sure you drive with the windows down for the best sound and they will get louder when you put some miles on them.

Rookie

Quote:
With the standard set of ramps and the right tools, can one person do the installation? I asked my local muffler shop how much he'd charge to do it. He said $60. That might be my Friday "fun" project.

I did mine with some jacks and an empty gallon water jug for a head rest whilst on my back. I don't turn wrenches much anymore but it was still a very easy job. I just unbolted the whole bracket. Great tips here for the job. Sixty bucks isn't bad though if you don't want to mess with it. Good luck!

1993 Reef blue coupe/5-speed : 3 chamber Flowmasters, 3.73 rear gear, cobra clutch, K&N air filter, currently in resto-mode. 2014 Black GT/6-speed: 3.73/Brembo package, GT 500 axle backs, Sickspeed black shift ball with red pattern, SRS black fuel door, red script Hurst floor mats, red Lethal Performance windshield banner, red Ford Racing seat belt pads, red pin striping in strategic locations. Street Scenes Gen. 2 chin spoiler, painted.
BOSS Member

Garage
Waiting on update from Okie Hick.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I think he went out of town for the week,he was going to install the new mufflers when he gets back.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I think he went out of town for the week,he was going to install the new mufflers when he gets back.
YES!!!! I am back as of last night! The car goes into surgery in 39 minutes at the muffler shop. I'm all excited.....

PONY Member

BTW I rented an AVIS Chrysler 200 for the 375-mile drive to St. Louis. I usually drive my own car but am putting too many miles on it (44K to date). That drive on I-44 is mind numbingly boring. I was so glad to get home and get into my own car.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Red face

DRUM ROLL PLEASE !!!! And the verdict is ????????
PONY Member

First of all, I made a wise decision to have it done. Two guys were huffing and puffing in trying to get the old ones off. They had to remove the resonator section and unbolt the rear hangars to allow extraction. But I definitely prefer the deeper more subtle sound of the stocks. As far as the 2K rpm drone, I still detect it in the background but the exhaust note overrides it to some extent. Another annoying pre-2K rpm harmonic had popped up over the past year and that is GONE!!! YAY! It's definitely loud when I lean into it. ...and somewhat invigorating. So I'll give them a shot for a month or 2. It will take some getting used to.

The car is definitely wife-proofed. Beforehand she refused to drive it. Now she may refuse to ride in it...LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page