LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
Yeah my centri gets pretty hot too but never hot enough to where I have detonation. I'm not even running an intercooler but I'm only running 8 psi. In my case I'm running as much timing as I can n/a and f/i so if I were to run a meth kit I don't think there would be anymore power to give.
Heat soak happens I suppose but usually by the time it's my turn to go again it's cooled off to be a non issue or not enough of an issue to break anything. Maybe the op has more timing to give though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm not getting detonation, or any issues at all really (other than slower ETs and lower MPHs as it heats up), I'm just trying to basically trick the car into thinking it's running on a cooler day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
The heat of the casing isn't a good indication of the heat of the charge air. I'd want the casing flaming hot, that's suggesting charge heat rejection through the aluminum of the casing. This is why IAT2 is generally measured just before the air hits the intake manifold. Why PD blowers heat soak is a function of two things, the fact they are sitting on top of a heat pump and the way a PD blower works, which is to introduce a fixed volume of air into the intake manifold, at all rpm. This is why modern style PD blowers have a vacuum bypass built in, to reduce the adiabatic heating in the system, because the intercooler can't reject enough heat fast enough. Old school Roots blowers, hot rod style don't have this and really struggle as the temps rise.
I didn't think of the head unit temp and the air charge being different, that makes sense. Guess I shouldn't worry about it too much until I get some IATs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
02_GT_5Spd, the cutting on the bumper is something I totally didn't even consider during our other exchange on the IC issue!
I was very fortunate that a good friend of mine, and engineer, did the Stage 2 on his 2012 BOSS 302 (with the help of another mutual friend who is an engineer!); they handled the install of my P-1SC-1 Stage 2 while I sat on the garage floor eating pizza and drinking beer! One of the things that got them slowed up on the 2012 BOSS 302 was reinstalling the bumper cover after putting on that Stage 2 IC. They had to hold it in place, then trim a little off, then hold it in place, then trim a little more off, then hold it in place...
...you get the idea.
When it came to my 2014 GT, the bumper cover just went right on!

If I were you, I'd consider looking for a stage 2 IC out there somewhere maybe used??? Or some other aftermarket options? For instance there is this: Mishimoto Universal Mustang Intercooler M Line MMINT-UM (79-17 All) - Free Shipping .
The thing is, I don't know what it'd take to get the piping sorted out to make it work with your ProCharger. And if I member correctly, the P1-SC-1 has the MAF installed into the outlet side of the IC; there is no provision for this with the linked IC (I think). So you'd have to figure out that with the piping.

And it looks like you're right; they did change the design of the new HO IC for your kit to a taller skinny IC.
I've benched the upgraded IC idea, the updated HO intercooler is $900 on its own, and the fabwork required to get a Stage2 or aftermarket unit to work aren't worth it to me as, like I mentioned above, looking for lower IATs isn't to fix/avoid issues, it's just an attempt to run more consistently to the car's potential at the track on a hot day.

Jason

'14 F150 4x4 SuperCrew 302

SOLD
'11 GT MT w/ 3.73s and some bolt-ons
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
"Back From the Dead Thread"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
What are your IATs right now?
Only took me a year and a half but I finally got some IATs, lol.

I've done three pulls this week:

One at 5AM Tuesday with an outside temp of ~50 degrees, IAT was low 130s at the top of fourth WOT

Two this afternoon pretty much back-to-back, outside air temp ~70 degrees, first pull IAT was mid 130s, second pull was flirting with 160

So if ~130 degrees is the Mendoza line regarding IATs, it seems like a single pass isn't bad regardless of outside temps, but a multiple pass situation might warrant some action as just a second pass/pull pushed it to almost 160.

Thoughts . . .

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Time to get a better intercooler or meth.
crjackson2134 likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
So those IATs warrant taking some action?

Jason

SOLD
550 RWHP / 490 RWTQ
11.94 @ 123, 1.84 60 ft.
Wannabe Sleeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page