Excessive oil consumption 2011 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Garage
Okie Hick:

Sounds like you're a strong candidate for the 2017 Chevy Bolt!

JediDave

LosAngelesGT likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
Okie Hick:

JediDave
OMG! Just shoot me! Bolts don't have that invigorating exhaust note and they look like cow dung! Sound and looks are why I have the GT.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post

Each of us extracts from these machines something different and somewhat reflective of our personalities.
I agree^^, I bought my `13 GT vert for it`s looks & sound. Its now 4 model years old, paid for, & still has that new car smell & looks with only 1800 original miles on it
5.0 Coyote likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
I bought my `13 GT vert for it`s looks & sound. Its now 4 model years old, paid for, & still has that new car smell & looks with only 1800 original miles on it
Nice! Mine is also maintained in "pristine" condition and is paid for. I enjoy the continuing compliments from by-standers. But my odo turned 42,500 miles this afternoon. Hence compared to you, I am driving the crap out of mine but enjoying every mile of it.
kenv and 5.0 Coyote like this.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

Bought my 2011 GT in May of 2010, I have 22,000 miles on it now,it has been a perfect car,I love that Kona Blue Girl
kenv likes this.
BOSS Member

Garage
My car just rolled 20k miles and the leather seats have consumed more oil than the engine.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
There is no Coyote in the universe that's been babied more than mine (speeds <90mph and rpms <4K). With 42K miles and an oil change every 6K, the engine uses no oil between changes. I bought it strictly for its looks and the V8 exhaust note.

WTF.
You must be trolling

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
Okie Hick:

JediDave
Or the 2020 Hybrid mustang

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Car is still burning 3/4 a quart, maybe a little more, every 1000 miles with 5w30.
Next oil change I'm going to switch to 5w50 as a previous poster suggested - see if that helps.

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST

Last edited by LosAngelesGT; 01-05-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
Car is still burning 3/4 a quart, maybe a little more, every 1000 miles with 5w30.
Next oil change I'm going to switch to 5w50 as a previous poster suggested - see if that helps.
5w50 is expensive. you'd be fine with 10w40 or maybe even 20w50.
i'm using 10-40

considering your in LA, the "W" part of the oil doesn't matter so much.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenorm View Post
i'm using 10-40

I would not recommend going with 20W50. Ford recommends 5W20 for standard coyotes and 5W50 for the track package. Using a W20 to W50 might be OK, but using a 10W and 20W might be asking for trouble and depends on the climate.

Here is something worth reading. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-5w50-oil.html

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
i'm using 10-40

You're using 10-40 in a track pack GT or regular GT? Do you live in a warm climate? How long have you been using 10-40 for? Where you burning lower weight oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
I would not recommend going with 20W50. Ford recommends 5W20 for standard coyotes and 5W50 for the track package. Using a W20 to W50 might be OK, but using a 10W and 20W might be asking for trouble and depends on the climate.

Here is something worth reading. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-5w50-oil.html
Climate is Socal. Although I do take the car to the mountains in the winter to snowboard - temps can drop to 20 F or so.
So would you recommend using the 5w50 or 10w40?

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
GT Member

My first recommendation is to use what the manual/oil cap specifies and mostly for warranty purposes. In SoCal I don't think 10W40 or 5W50 will hurt you assuming you get the oil up to the operating temperature before going about 2500 to 3000 RPM and you do not going past normal range in oil temp and pressures. I thought I read somewhere the track package ECU is different than the normal GT but I don't remember the specifics of what it does for protection.

In colder climates I would definitely use what the manual/oil cap specifies.

The other viscositys might be OK but I just can't recommend without more knowledge.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
You're using 10-40 in a track pack GT or regular GT? Do you live in a warm climate? How long have you been using 10-40 for? Where you burning lower weight oil?

Climate is Socal. Although I do take the car to the mountains in the winter to snowboard - temps can drop to 20 F or so.
So would you recommend using the 5w50 or 10w40?
I use synthetic 10W40 in my GT track pack. Used for about a year. Only had the car a year, never burns oil. its not my DD. i primarily use it in the non winter months for Autocross. So cold weather starts are infrequent (never below freezing). hence why I suggested that the winter component (10W or 20W) for me doesn't matter ,and in your climate, might not matter. 20F isnt really that cold either, espically if was only for infrequent snow board trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post

I agree depends on climate, I said that when i noted that the OP was in warm Los Angeles..

this list, which you quoted is what i based my choice on. (ignore the Amsoil and pick your favourite brand)

"Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this. *Mustang GT only*

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, street/drag raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your street car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, turbo or Supercharged, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil XLO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course run your car for the experience (learning - short heats)....use this.

Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. This lubricant is best suited when pushing your car to the edge of cooling limits from sustained high rpm operation. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting street duties*

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*"
Mustangblobs likes this.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
I use synthetic 10W40 in my GT track pack. Used for about a year. Only had the car a year, never burns oil. its not my DD. i primarily use it in the non winter months for Autocross. So cold weather starts are infrequent (never below freezing). hence why I suggested that the winter component (10W or 20W) for me doesn't matter ,and in your climate, might not matter. 20F isnt really that cold either, espically if was only for infrequent snow board trips.

So despite having a 2011 GT non track pack with oil squirters you would still recommend 10w40?
Yeah the coldest it will get in LA on winter nights would be 40F. When I go snowboarding it's always during the day so it doesn't drop below 20F.

I agree depends on climate, I said that when i noted that the OP was in warm Los Angeles..

this list, which you quoted is what i based my choice on. (ignore the Amsoil and pick your favourite brand)

"Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this. *Mustang GT only*

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, street/drag raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your street car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, turbo or Supercharged, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil XLO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course run your car for the experience (learning - short heats)....use this.

Amsoil Dominator 15W-50 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. This lubricant is best suited when pushing your car to the edge of cooling limits from sustained high rpm operation. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting street duties*

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*"

This list is confusing to me. I don't know what the difference is between AZO, ALM, ATM oil etc. I just know about oil weight. So for a 2011 GT non track pack in a warm climate which is daily driven hard - 50% of the time short trips and 50% of the time slightly longer trips 10w30 would be the ideal oil still correct?

Thanks for your time

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page