Excessive oil consumption 2011 GT - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Excessive oil consumption 2011 GT

My 2011 5.0 has just 53000 miles. I've owned it since 42000 miles. I've noticed an usually large oil burn rate on the 5w20 (can't remember exactly how bad) so last oil change I switched to 5w30. After 3000 miles I changed my oil again today and only about 5-6 quarts came out.
I do drive my car really hard, lot's of drifting around corners and frequent 120mph+ sprints literally everyday. However I wait about 2 minutes after the coolant reaches normal temperature before doing so -- to give the oil a chance to warm up.
There are no signs of a problem whatsoever. Car engine pulls hard every single time. Nothing over heats (according to the dummy gauges) there's no blueish cloud from the exhaust upon start up or anything. There is no oil marks on the ground when the car is parked over night.
I'm pretty sure this oil consumption is not normal, but maybe it is for the type of driving I do? If you guys think it's abnormal what should be some things to check?

2001 Mustang GT - Crashed (Other person's fault) Stock.
2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
2005 Mustang GT - Traded in
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
5% tint all around. 2014 GT premium wheels. Roush axleback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

My 2011 GT doesn't burn,leak use,any 5W30 oil, so in that respect I am lucky.You state in your post that there are no leaks and no blue smoke, and the engine runs strong and you run it like a Mustang, so your lucky there.Now you asked in your post what you should check,if it ain"t broke don"t fix it seems to apply in this case,but what I would check, is my oil level more often,2-3 quarts LOW is not a good thing, and really not the best for the health of your engine,could be one reason your engine is starting to use some oil.

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you put in an oil separator you will likely find the cause - a stuck VCT solenoid (PVC in old school motors).

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt2010gt View Post
If you put in an oil separator you will likely find the cause - a stuck VCT solenoid (PVC in old school motors).
Not picking nits, but how are a Variable Cam Timing solenoid & a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve the same (I'm assuming you meant PCV not PVC)?
5.0 Coyote and wjbertrand like this.

2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)

Last edited by crjackson2134; 12-04-2016 at 09:03 PM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Not picking nits, but how are a Variable Cam Timing solenoid & a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve the same (I'm assuming you meant PCV not PVC)?
Would a stuck VCT cause excessive oil use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
My 2011 GT doesn't burn,leak use,any 5W30 oil, so in that respect I am lucky.You state in your post that there are no leaks and no blue smoke, and the engine runs strong and you run it like a Mustang, so your lucky there.Now you asked in your post what you should check,if it ain"t broke don"t fix it seems to apply in this case,but what I would check, is my oil level more often,2-3 quarts LOW is not a good thing, and really not the best for the health of your engine,could be one reason your engine is starting to use some oil.
How hard do you drive it usually? Glad to seem you don't think it's cause for much concern. I have payments on this car for 5 years so I want the motor to last at least that long! Lol. I'll be sure to be more vigilante on checking the oil. I kind of get lazy because I don't want to do it at 7am before work or 7pm afterwards - plus the strut bar makes it a pain!

Quote:
What's a VCT solenoid and what about that would cause more oil consumption?

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
Lowered, Flowmaster catbacks, CAI + Tune, 5% tint all around, American racing wheels.
"Performance" spark plugs and ignition coils, 5% tint on back 3 - 20% on front two, 20 inch silver AMR wheels
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
My bad, I was rushing. Still am really, but I believe our PCV is called an EGR now (not the VCT, which sits right next to it and a stuck VCT causes timing to be too advanced at idle, which results in car running good but engine rough or stalling when stopped). But the main thing is our PCV tube has a ball or cone inside that uses a spring to close. When they stick open you get more oil/water vapor drawn into the intake system, causing the engine to use oil. A catch can is spliced into the hose after it attaches to the PCV and before the hose attaches to the intake (behind the throttle body). A catch can pulls oil out of the vapor and traps it so the engine doesn't burn the oil. Burning oil vapor lowers octane values after metering, in other words can be harmful to the engine, and it causes fouled plugs and sticks to intake manifold and charge motion valves (bottom of the intake). The most likely cause of excessive oil loss is usually the PCV vent tube stuck open and the vacuum from the engine drawing out too much vapor at higher the idle rpms.

Still not perfect, but hopefully helpful.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I'm thinking for your driving that is not too much consumption (more than I'd like) but, you should check it more often !

the std for too much is over 1 qt per 1k miles (yeah that is a lot) I'll assume past the 5/60 wtty so I won't give any dealer hints. I'd stick with 5-30 but then I'd also slow down.....
5.0 Coyote and crjackson2134 like this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
Would a stuck VCT cause excessive oil use?

What's a VCT solenoid and what about that would cause more oil consumption?
VCT solenoids actuate your cam phasers to control valve timing.

If one or more isn't working, I would think you should be getting a p0340 code. Since you didn't mention any trouble codes...

Oil consumption related to valve timing is as such;

Late valve timing will keep the intake valve closed too long after the intake stroke has started, and will increase the vacuum in the cylinder. The high vacuum will have a tendency to suck oil up past the piston and rings into the upper part of the cylinder where it will be burned.

Again, you are reporting that the car performs perfectly & throws no codes. I wouldn't think this is the problem.

A stuck PCV valve could cause increased consumption & it's easy to check. Always start with the easy stuff first.

If you are driving the way you described on a daily basis, I would suggest a higher viscosity oil. Track Pack mustangs are recommended to use 5w-50 full synthetic. This is what I use and have no consumption issues with performance driving. Granted I don't drive that way on a daily basis. If I did so, then increased consumption wouldn't surprise me at all.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. I'm not an expert.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
I've owned 2 Coyote cars with zero oil usage and I credit that to them being broken-in hard. If a Coyote is babied during the break-in period it will use oil.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
My bad, I was rushing. Still am really, but I believe our PCV is called an EGR now (not the VCT, which sits right next to it and a stuck VCT causes timing to be too advanced at idle, which results in car running good but engine rough or stalling when stopped). But the main thing is our PCV tube has a ball or cone inside that uses a spring to close. When they stick open you get more oil/water vapor drawn into the intake system, causing the engine to use oil. A catch can is spliced into the hose after it attaches to the PCV and before the hose attaches to the intake (behind the throttle body). A catch can pulls oil out of the vapor and traps it so the engine doesn't burn the oil. Burning oil vapor lowers octane values after metering, in other words can be harmful to the engine, and it causes fouled plugs and sticks to intake manifold and charge motion valves (bottom of the intake). The most likely cause of excessive oil loss is usually the PCV vent tube stuck open and the vacuum from the engine drawing out too much vapor at higher the idle rpms.

Still not perfect, but hopefully helpful.
Thank you for clarifying and your suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I'm thinking for your driving that is not too much consumption (more than I'd like) but, you should check it more often !

the std for too much is over 1 qt per 1k miles (yeah that is a lot) I'll assume past the 5/60 wtty so I won't give any dealer hints. I'd stick with 5-30 but then I'd also slow down.....
Glad to hear you don't think it's too much consumption. I will be sure to check it more often! Yeah it's out of warranty. Slowing down is easier said than done... This car is just too much damn fun! Flooring it literally never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
VCT solenoids actuate your cam phasers to control valve timing.

If one or more isn't working, I would think you should be getting a p0340 code. Since you didn't mention any trouble codes...

Oil consumption related to valve timing is as such;

Late valve timing will keep the intake valve closed too long after the intake stroke has started, and will increase the vacuum in the cylinder. The high vacuum will have a tendency to suck oil up past the piston and rings into the upper part of the cylinder where it will be burned.

Again, you are reporting that the car performs perfectly & throws no codes. I wouldn't think this is the problem.

A stuck PCV valve could cause increased consumption & it's easy to check. Always start with the easy stuff first.

If you are driving the way you described on a daily basis, I would suggest a higher viscosity oil. Track Pack mustangs are recommended to use 5w-50 full synthetic. This is what I use and have no consumption issues with performance driving. Granted I don't drive that way on a daily basis. If I did so, then increased consumption wouldn't surprise me at all.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. I'm not an expert.
Yup no codes whatsoever. Thanks for explaining things, I always love learning more about my car. I noticed you have a 2014 GT. I believe the 2011's and 2012s have oil squirters the 13s and 14s don't. Would it still be advisable to go all the way up to 5w-50? Also, I live in sunny So-cal however I love snowboarding. Sometimes when I park the car on the mountain for the day temperatures can dip to 20 degrees or so, not much lower than that however. Is it still advisable to use 5w-50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereaper View Post
I've owned 2 Coyote cars with zero oil usage and I credit that to them being broken-in hard. If a Coyote is babied during the break-in period it will use oil.
Possible. The previous owner did a great job of scratching the wheels on the curb. One could assume if someone can't freaking park, they wouldn't be romping on it too much.

Thank you all for your detailed responses

2003 Mustang GT - Sold
2011 Mustang GT - BEAST
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesGT View Post
Thank you for clarifying and your suggestion

I do drive my car really hard, lot's of drifting around corners and frequent 120mph+ sprints literally everyday

Glad to hear you don't think it's too much consumption. I will be sure to check it more often! Yeah it's out of warranty. Slowing down is easier said than done... This car is just too much damn fun! Flooring it literally never gets old.

Is it still advisable to use 5w-50?
Given the above, I personally would & do. This is considered sever duty, not normal driving conditions.

Rookie

Same issue on my 11 gonna rebuild it with 13 pistons and get rid of the squirters
PONY Member

Quote:
IIf a Coyote is babied during the break-in period it will use oil.
There is no Coyote in the universe that's been babied more than mine (speeds <90mph and rpms <4K). With 42K miles and an oil change every 6K, the engine uses no oil between changes. I bought it strictly for its looks and the V8 exhaust note.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)

Last edited by Okie Hick; 12-30-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: added a comment
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Hick View Post
There is no Coyote in the universe that's been babied more than mine (speeds <90mph and rpms <4K). With 42K miles and an oil change every 6K, the engine uses no oil between changes. I bought it strictly for its looks and the V8 exhaust note.
How many times has your Coyote seen the rev limiter or the speed limiter? Mine has seen both many times. The harder you run it the less oil it uses. You are very lucky that yours uses no oil.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
PONY Member

Quote:
How many times has your Coyote seen the rev limiter or the speed limiter? Mine has seen both many times. The harder you run it the less oil it uses. You are very lucky that yours uses no oil.
The only rev limiters I've experienced were in rental cars and that was just playing around parked in a hotel parking lot. The only speed limiter I encounter is the 80mph max when my "guest" ignition key is used. I'm not into speed or whiplash acceleration. How often do you folks of the opposing mentality have to replace your cars? What is you gas bill?

Each of us extracts from these machines something different and somewhat reflective of our personalities.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)

Last edited by Okie Hick; 12-31-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: added a statement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page