Help lifting front end - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

I still lift my 65 mustang by the pumpkin.....it is nodular iron....my new ones....not into replacing fractured housings.

5.0 Coyote likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
Go ahead, use the punkin. Your seals will go bad before mine do.
May I ask what seals you are talking about? I often use the pumpkin to jack up the back of the car. I have my axle tubes welded also. The way I see it is when you jack from the pumpkin your are putting a strain on the connection of the axle tube to the differential casing. I guess you are also putting a cantilever load on your axle tubes because you are supporting the weight of back of car on each side.

Maybe so far I have been lucky. Done it at least 100 times.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
How often do you think we lift our cars up anyway? This isn't a daily/weekly/or even monthly thing. You're talking maybe a few times a year...I don't think that will wear any seals more than what they are already get from me romping the **** out of my car on a daily basis.

To each their own...

...and remember, manufacturers are looking out for their own pockets. they will do and say anything that might possibly save them the hassle of a lawsuit. I don't think they are worried about axle seals going bad as much as someone suing them for any reason they might have. Think of the morons who might use the pumpkin but do it wrong and it falls on them or someone else or on something...lawsuit...Ford likes making money, not giving it away...
90lxwhite likes this.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonR2006 View Post
How often do you think we lift our cars up anyway? This isn't a daily/weekly/or even monthly thing. You're talking maybe a few times a year
During the busier part of track day season it could be as often as several times in the same month (between bleeding the brakes at least before each event if not each individual day in a multi-day event, and swapping back and forth between track and street tires).

Quote:
and remember, manufacturers are looking out for their own pockets. they will do and say anything that might possibly save them the hassle of a lawsuit. I don't think they are worried about axle seals going bad as much as someone suing them for any reason they might have. Think of the morons who might use the pumpkin but do it wrong and it falls on them or someone else or on something...lawsuit...Ford likes making money, not giving it away...
Of course, and I don't doubt that the mfrs have several other financial reasons as well . . . if they didn't specifically instruct that this method not be used, somebody sooner or later would probably sue them over it, even if all that was involved was a seal or cover casket leak.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
During the busier part of track day season it could be as often as several times in the same month (between bleeding the brakes at least before each event if not each individual day in a multi-day event, and swapping back and forth between track and street tires)
I do agree with this. For the majority of owners though this does not apply. But yes, if you are jacking your car up every week to do something then avoid the pumpkin but I didn't get that sense from OP.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Mine probably does end up on jacks/jackstands more than most. Though even if it was on a more normal schedule and if jacking by the pumpkin was going to be OK 499 times out of 500, I still wouldn't know if this time was going to be that one time in 500 where it wasn't going to be. Kind like rolling a 500-sided die every time, hoping that it doesn't come up 'snake eye'.

I have a HF spreader bar that I've used for replacing the rear springs. Bolts in place of the pad on a couple of my floor jacks, bolts into a nut welded to the pad on another. I'd hate to be stuck having only one floor jack to work with any more, it's so much easier with two (or more).

Norm
5.0 Coyote likes this.

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Coyote View Post
I believe the owners manual states and shows NOT to use the diff pumpkin to jack the car up on it, also shows where you can jack on in the front, in a safe manner for you and the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Use the factory recommended jacking locations and you can't go wrong. You'll have to jack up one side at a time. .
Speaking for myself and my car, I will continue spending the extra minute or two to jack mine one corner at a time using the factory recommended jacking locations (with a pice of 2x4 between the jack and the frame rail). And yes I do it a lot during track day season . . . but I'm usually working on one wheel at a time so NBD.

If I get really crazy I might jack a whole side at a time by putting the jack in the middle of the frame rail under the door, but I don't think I'll risk jacking either end from one point.

But that's just me, your mileage may vary . . .
5.0 Coyote and Fabulozzz like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDmustang13 View Post
May I ask what seals you are talking about? I often use the pumpkin to jack up the back of the car. I have my axle tubes welded also. The way I see it is when you jack from the pumpkin your are putting a strain on the connection of the axle tube to the differential casing. I guess you are also putting a cantilever load on your axle tubes because you are supporting the weight of back of car on each side.

Maybe so far I have been lucky. Done it at least 100 times.
OK then. Help yourself.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
GT Member

Quote:
OK then. Help yourself.
I am not sure how to respond to your reply?

I was asking a serious question but I guess I should assume you mean the seals at the end of each axle tubes by the tires. And if so there is no difference in load on those seals whether you lift if from the pumpkin or from the axle tubes.

But maybe you mean the seal/gasket for the rear end cover? I can see if a person is not careful he can damage the rear cover and or the gasket.

Yes I know the manual says not to and for most people it is best to follow the manufacturer recommendations. I would probably not lift from the pumpkin if I did not have additional welds added to my axle tube connections to my differential casing.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I am not sure how to respond to your reply?

I was asking a serious question but I guess I should assume you mean the seals at the end of each axle tubes by the tires. And if so there is no difference in load on those seals whether you lift if from the pumpkin or from the axle tubes.

But maybe you mean the seal/gasket for the rear end cover? I can see if a person is not careful he can damage the rear cover and or the gasket.

Yes I know the manual says not to and for most people it is best to follow the manufacturer recommendations. I would probably not lift from the pumpkin if I did not have additional welds added to my axle tube connections to my differential casing.
I didn't answer because you already made it clear you had made up your own mind. I have an ex-wife like that. No time for it any more.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:

Big hint . . .

You have a fluid container that's made up of a number of separate pieces. Wherever any two of these pieces are joined together, some sort of leakproof fluid sealing is required between them.

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
GT Member

Quote:
I didn't answer because you already made it clear you had made up your own mind. I have an ex-wife like that. No time for it any more.
I asked the question twice so I knew exactly what seals you were talking about so I could make sure I was not overlooking something with my decisions on where I lift my car. Yes I know what the manual says.

It sure seems to me you are purposely avoiding answering my question and I now believe I understand your responses. I don't need you to respond so you don't waste your time. You evidently think you know how my mind works. But I can assure you that you're incorrect with that judgement.

I think you are either a person that is difficult to get along with or..... best I not say.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Now I have four people on my ignore list, so I will not be tempted to feed into their propensity for hubris. Well, five if you count my ex-wife. She tried to pick fights with me when I disagreed with her too.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Now I have four people on my ignore list, so I will not be tempted to feed into their propensity for hubris. Well, five if you count my ex-wife. She tried to pick fights with me when I disagreed with her too.

Was she a pumpkin jacker too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dana W likes this.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

My guess is that the owners manual is suggesting that you should never use the spare tire emergency jack under the pumpkin.

2011 GT/ California Special, Silver, Auto, 3:15's, Airaid race CAI, Hypertech tune, Roush axlebacks and lowering springs, Boss 302 splitter, SR front and rear swaybars, 19x9.5 SVE gloss black Drift wheels,BMR lower control arms, Brembo big brakes up front,Stainless steel brake lines, JMS Pedalmax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page