Tires what kind - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
That's for OP to answer for himself.

All the rest of us can do is make suggestions and occasionally provide some evidence to support our own opinions.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
thank you all for your input
still have 3 months to decide so I will continue to read on
leaning toward the Michelins with the bf Goodrich very close second
keep coming with your thoughts
what u all think about white lettering

luke

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160703-00314.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	548673  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
any one else got input

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune

Apprentice

i also reccomend the DW's or DWS.

i don't know how much it rains in Hamilton, but the DW's are magic in the wet. on par with the MPSS.
DW also have high treadwear number, so they should last.
thirdly, they do well in cool weather. although they dont like below freezing and cannot be used in snow.

also theyre on clearance right now, as new DWs are coming out soon.
Rookie

Garage
I went to several local tire shops and after I was done, I felt like my day was wasted and I wanted to choke someone lol.
The cheapest I could go was $850 for 4 tires, mounted, and balanced.

I did some research and I decided to stick with Federal tires. I used to have the Federal 595 (ss 595) tires on my 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T and they were nice tires. I actually ran the front tires so low that they needed replacement but I never replaced them and I had no issues, and once my transmission went out, I took the car to the dealership and pawned it off on them and got my 14 Mustang.... but I digress.

So for about $540 I got all four Federal 595 delivered. Of course I had to pay $25 a tire for mounting and balancing blah blah.... so for around $650ish I had four new tires and I am happy.

They are summer performance tires but they do great in the rain and not bad in snow. These tires don't sound loud, grip like a mother, and I am very happy. I had the pirelli tires that came with the car ( stock tires from factory I assume) and I could slam gears and chirp the tires with the pirelli tires, but with these Federal 595s.... I can still chirp a little but I have much better grip.

So in conclusion, I have Federal tires, I am happy, they are about $100 ea. on simpletireDOTcom and expect to pay about $30 per tire for shipping. Tires are made in Taiwan but that doesn't mean jack to me, the quality is good, the company has experience, and the price is good.

I have had my car for 6 months and I only managed to put 3800 miles on it. I drive 400 miles a month and I don't bun out or do anything crazy.... so these tires will last me a long time... I hope.

"I'll have the tuna. No crust." - Brian O'Conner.
GT Member

That is a heck of a price for all four tires. I am glad you are happy. Let us know if you run into any issues and good luck. You must have 18" rims.
Onlinetires.com - TIRES Search Results

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I just scored (tire rack) the 255/40-19 Conntinental DW's...as mentioned they are now on clearance. I got them for $150 which is a great price. thx to Thenorm for the clearance heads up!

won't know till summer if I like them but the reviews and sale price makes me
CDN5.0 and Thenorm like this.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I'm looking at 1200 dollars cnd installed for the michilen p ss
that's cnd dollars ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
not sure yet if going that way
more input please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160528-00283.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	746.0 KB
ID:	550090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160528-00278.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	808.3 KB
ID:	550098  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune

Last edited by 2012bigredstang; 01-13-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: adding on what imissed
GT Member

Without a doubt in my mind if you can get the Continental Extreme Contact DW's at $150 each like Strange Mud in clearance in the size you want (Don't know what rim width you have) then I would be jumping on it ASAP.

2013 GT, Track Pack, Recaros, Kooks Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear Adj. LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted H, DSS Al Shaft, BMR Loop, Vogtland Sport Springs front/BMR rear, Strange Adj. Struts/Shocks, Extended ball joints, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, Whiteline Tranny Mount Bushing, Borla Overaxles, BMR Watts, Vorshlag 3" Ducts
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
If you're going all season I don't think you can beat the Conti DWS tire - I had a set on my '12 and they were good on dry pavement and flat out amazing in the wet.
My '14 came with Yoko S-Drives and they are quite good but in the spring I will be mounting the Michelin SuperSports - median price and just stupid good dry or wet.....I got a quote of $1667.00 tax, mount and balanced on my Brembo rims - 255/40/19 from Costco.
If $$ is not an issue then the Mich PS2's are the best but better than $500CDN per corner.

Scott

2014 GT Track Pack/Brembo/Recaro/Whiteline suspension system/Blowfish Racing shifter bracket - the 3.73 Torsen is so loud now that, with all due respect to Wade Chamberlain, BadFast has been renamed "The Whining Mistress"
F5 MKII
07 FatBoy
04 1200 XLC
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I have 18 inch factory rims

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
I have 18 inch factory rims
Guessing for a 2012 that means 18 x 8, which would set the upper limit on tire size to 255/xx-18.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012bigredstang View Post
I'm looking at 1200 dollars cnd installed for the michilen p ss
that's cnd dollars ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
not sure yet if going that way
more input please
thats not a bad price. (I just priced out the same at Costco).
my 19" bridgestones were $1600 CDN.

DWs size 255/45ZR18 from tirerack shipped to your door is $1040CDN then add ~$60 for mounting.

DWs shipped to Buffalo NY is about $800CDN, even with paying tax at the border. add ~$60 for mounting.
Use one of these services https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...eiving+service

PS i cant believe how cheap the DWs are. $120 USD each in the OEM 18" size
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenorm View Post
PS i cant believe how cheap the DWs are. $120 USD each in the OEM 18" size
#becausecloseout . . . which generally means that production is ending (or already has ended).

Norm

'19 WRX, 6M (hers)
Rookie

I see you've had several votes for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I can also say these are great tires (my fourth set of tires on the car and clearly the best of the lot). BUT I live in central Alabama, and there are STILL a couple days per year I don't drive the car because it's too cold for the tires. Basically, you are losing some grip below 40F and below 30F it is probably not safe. So...in Canada it is truly a Summer only tire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page